IT.COM

auctions Thoughts on yesterday’s $1 million domain name auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
A strong auction with a headline-grabbing .club sale but dominated by .com.
By now you’ve probably read a bit about yesterday’s Right of the Dot domain name auction at NamesCon. Here are my takeaways:
1. The auction sold just shy of $1 million worth of domain names. It’s not the glory years of 7 or 8 years ago, but that’s a total I don’t think we’ve seen in a while at a domainer conference auction.
2. The sell-through rate of about 65% is excellent. ROTD was able to seed the auction with domains guaranteed to sell by doing pre-bidding on the SnapNames platform.
Full Article: http://domainnamewire.com/2015/01/14/thoughts-on-yesterdays-1-million-domain-name-auction/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"It’s not the glory years of 7 or 8 years ago"....ain't that the truth. Buyers got some steals IMO...CarAuctions.com at 90 k?...great buy..skip back a decade would'a got at least 5 times that.

•••
In that article they made a point to say that Wine.club at 140K was a headline grabbing sale. That is just a scam. There is not a legitimate arm's length transaction that is EVER happening where someone with a wine business is waking up and paying 140K for that. I don't even need to investigate. It is simply fraud, and any deal that they might announce would involve some type of unannounced agreement. I will wager my whole life against a dollar on that, and I don't care what these scammers say about it.

A few weeks ago, right before bitcoin started tanking, they played a college football bowl game that was sponsored by bitcoin. The bitcoin scammers made it a point to tell everyone that ESPN got paid with bitcoin. Of course, a day or two later it came out that ESPN converted the bitcoin to cash immediately. Now, it is 100 percent certain that there was an agreement between bitcoin and ESPN, that for whatever reason, if ESPN wasn't able to convert their bitcoin to cash at the agreed upon dollar denominated amount, that the bitcoin people would reimburse ESPN. That is how the world works, folks. Stop falling for these scams.

Interesting that the name of the gathering was Names CON. No kidding. And another thing. The only thing to the right of the dot that really matters is dotcom. All hail the King. Dotcom is KING. It is time that people start calling out these frauds and scammers who get involved in these loser extensions. Some of the biggest names in domaining history are involved, and they must have no shame at all. I mean, you never heard a single story ever about one of these guys buying a good name off of a regular domainer at a good price, yet they would pay outrageous sums at Snap Names for similar names (Snap Names turned out to be a fraud. Maybe there was more fraud than what we know? Could also be kickbacks and more shill bidding than what we know).

The scam is getting old. These guys who made millions buying good to great dotcoms in the early days now must try to abuse others by peddling this worthless crap. To the right of the dot is a scam idea, designed to fleece everyone. They have no shame. Time to put some pressure on these losers and start calling them out.

Last edited:
•••
Domaincandy

I will tell you that wine.club sold to a huge company

There are huge companies in the space

Virgin Airlines has a wine club

I'm a member.

The Wall Street Journal has a wine club.

Many large companies around the world have wine clubs.

For these kind of companies the domain was a steal at that price.

•••
"It’s not the glory years of 7 or 8 years ago"....ain't that the truth. Buyers got some steals IMO...CarAuctions.com at 90 k?...great buy..skip back a decade would'a got at least 5 times that.

Noce domain name indeed. By the way like the trailer park boys pic. lol swearnet seems to be doing good right now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back