Domain Empire

advice This the equivalent of buying buyer a "steak dinner" digitally.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I'm no pro by far. But if you have a good domain? I just thought of this or these.

Let me start by saying. Online? There is nothing more powerful a keyword than "FREE".

how many computers around to world got infected because some idiot opened an email with a subject heading "FREE" this and that?:stop:

Every potential buyer you approach to sell a domain to it's very hard to cold call them much less having them read an email.

They are guarded because they know you are about to tell them a joke and the punchline is you wanna stick them up for $100K.

So before sticking them up why not buy them a "Steak or lobster dinner"? but how do you do this without breaking the bank?

Here's the thing. if you think you have a great domain then proceed. if it's mediocre? don't bother.

So what's this "steak dinner" well it's not really a steak dinner. I mean most of our clients are so far away you'd have to take a plane and now you talking $600-$1000+.

So here it is.
1. you find a domain they need. sometimes by accident. then you find out it's perfect for some huge corp.
2. get them on the phone. It's hard because they have screeners. you'll never get to them. unless...............

you listening?

Register domains that leave them exposed to cybersquatters. sure that makes you a cybersquatter too but not really because this is your "steak dinner" to your potential buyer whom you are very confident will buy your killer domain.

even better if it's trademarked because then they really want the domains you are giving away for free so there is value there immediately.

You explain to them that by giving them these trademark issue domains

For each and every domain you are saving them the cost of hiding a lawyer and costing them anywhere from $2000-$5000 per domain.

if you give them 3-5 domains that's a $6000-$25,000 "steak dinner"

now tell me. would someone you've "liquored and steaked" up be more or less conductive to buying your $100K domain after you just saved them $25,000?

your cost for this 3 domains $21 , 5 domains $35

you also tell them that the domains you are giving them could easily be registered by some Chinese domain cybersquatter or some cybersquatter in North Korea or Africa or Iran or where ever trademark rules are ignored or non existent. where a $2000-$5000 lawsuit could end up losing or cost more to continue.

The only real winner in that scenario is the lawyers.

gotta ask yourself how much does it cost out of pocket to make things easier for your to get on the phone past some mean secretary.

I've worked in the Financial District most of my life in NYC before I quit. This is how business at least in NYC is done. you Schmoosh.

registering problematic domains and giving it away for free is the digital equivalent of a "steak dinner".

now I know many of us can't afford $15-$35 each and every time we try to pitch a domain.

So why not instead make up a list handy of all the domains you feel leaves your potential buyer exposed on their trademark. explain to them what value you are giving them with this list. how per domain on that list you are saving them $2000-$5000 a piece.

now you literally gave them a free "steak dinner" and it cost you nothing.

but registering the domains really has concrete value because they know you spent money on it. to them a list is just nothing. like "What's that?" it's like a piece of people you give someone and they just put it aside on a pile of papers.

but when you have to make them jump threw hoops like having to transfer the domains to their account? and they have to pay for transfer? Then they see the value in what you are giving them thru the hassle.

now sure most people will go with the lawsuit and not care you are giving it away. so make sure you send them an email stating your intent on giving away the domain out of the pure kindness of your heart.

Don't like the giving them a domain idea?

Here's another one.

research the company.

most companies surprisingly enough have no Social Media footprint.

so research keywords you believe and know they should own and register those accounts using hopefully an exact match Gmail for those keywords. Preferably non Trademarked yet but if you feel bold ? then Trademarked too. besides remember your main intention is not to extort money for these "Steak dinners" but to give them away as a gift.

Every company these days needs a Social Media footprint.

best of these to start would be of course Gmail then using Gmail register Twitter, Instagram,Snapchat,Reddit,Quora,Telegram,Wechat,QQ,Slack,Facebook (kinda dead now), Linkedin (definitely) accounts. Where ever the "cool kids" are these days.

Then these can be your "steak dinner".

kind of a hassle but at least it's the equivalent of "spending money on a domain" to give for free to a potential buyer.

Of course this last part you can do for the domain you are selling too. maybe sign up for a free blog page for your domain because a "Website" no matter how ugly or bland or boring is still a website and a most buyers can't even comprehend why they need to pay you $5000 for something you just registered today or a year ago.

but if your opening pitch is "I want to sell you a website." there is value there.

anyway that's my ramblings this morning. lol I gotta go.

Gotta pitch a domain in the NYC later. I'm giving away 6 Free "Steak dinners"! lol Wish me luck guys.

Tie or no tie?

We're domainers! Adidas jumpsuit and kicks it is!(y):xf.grin:

I welcome comments below good or bad. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think personally I would use it but full marks to @Avtar629 for an innovative idea and explaining it in so much depth. My concern would be that even though you were giving them they would perceive some ill intention in your original registration.

I do see value in helping individuals and companies in a general sense, even if no immediate payback. Ultimately the good will generated may come back in a tangible way.

Bob

•••
Per your request -

"I welcome comments below good or bad. Thanks."

OK -

Overall that verbal steak was too tough to chew through.

At best ,IMO, a person following that "strategy" would be lucky to only deal with Corporate Legal on some sort of cease and desist order.

Highly unlikely that strategy would evolve into a back slapping hand shaking big grins all around camaraderie resulting in a large dollar sale and exchange of holiday cards and family pictures.

On the other hand -
As one who once enjoyed a rather lavish corporate expense account and specialized in
face - to -face- meetings and presentations often with a catered or quality luncheon or lavish dinner component, much successful business was conducted in these in person scenarios.

And therein lies the bane of domain name selling, the distance as you noted between potential seller and potential buyer is often thousands of miles making face - to - face meetings and business/social dining cost prohibitive for most potential deals.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back