IT.COM

tips This is how I register my geo names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Most of my sales are hand-registered geo names or names that refer to a specific geographic area. I focus on City + Product or Service, usually two-word or three-word names. How do I choose which names to register? Here is a summary of the steps I follow to identify good names that I would register and sell between $300 and $500.

I work with a list of about 50 popular cities in the United States, most of which I have chosen based on population volume.

I check daily drop lists against each one of those cities, one by one, applying the cities in the form of filters. This may be tedious work, but after doing it for a while, things speed up.

If I find a product or service attached to that city, such as TampaFlowers.com or PhoenixGoldBuyer.com, I register them. Of course these keywords are easy because they are recognizable and I have already sold similar names, but in some cases, with less popular keywords, it is necessary go to Google and determine if the keyword for the product or service is popular enough.

I check the keywords for the domains on Google (Tampa Flowers or Phoenix Gold Buyers). If a considerable number of results show up, that is a sign that the name might be worth registering. But, more confirmation is required.

I also check if the same keywords are registered with a different city. For example, if PhoenixGoldBuyers.com drops and I check that a few other City + Gold Buyers are not only taken, but also developed, that is another good sign that the name is desirable to end-users.

If the singular version is also available, it might be convenient to register both before attempting to sell one of them. If you are trying to sell the plural version, but the singular is available to register, why would the end-user buy yours when he can hand-register the one that is available?

The most important characteristics of hand-registered geo names are: memorability, number of potential end-users and whether the name is the exact match for the industry or business you are contacting.

There are several other considerations, but I will have to leave it here for now...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes, but there are keywords for which Keyword + City also works, because they are very competitive. If I find Plumber + City name, I register it immediately. They sell...

•••
•••
Most of my sales are hand-registered geo names or names that refer to a specific geographic area. I focus on City + Product or Service, usually two-word or three-word names. How do I choose which names to register? Here is a summary of the steps I follow to identify good names that I would register and sell between $300 and $500.

I work with a list of about 50 popular cities in the United States, most of which I have chosen based on population volume.

I check daily drop lists against each one of those cities, one by one, applying the cities in the form of filters. This may be tedious work, but after doing it for a while, things speed up.

If I find a product or service attached to that city, such as TampaFlowers.com or PhoenixGoldBuyer.com, I register them. Of course these keywords are easy because they are recognizable and I have already sold similar names, but in some cases, with less popular keywords, it is necessary go to Google and determine if the keyword for the product or service is popular enough.

I check the keywords for the domains on Google (Tampa Flowers or Phoenix Gold Buyers). If a considerable number of results show up, that is a sign that the name might be worth registering. But, more confirmation is required.

I also check if the same keywords are registered with a different city. For example, if PhoenixGoldBuyers.com drops and I check that a few other City + Gold Buyers are not only taken, but also developed, that is another good sign that the name is desirable to end-users.

If the singular version is also available, it might be convenient to register both before attempting to sell one of them. If you are trying to sell the plural version, but the singular is available to register, why would the end-user buy yours when he can hand-register the one that is available?

The most important characteristics of hand-registered geo names are: memorability, number of potential end-users and whether the name is the exact match for the industry or business you are contacting.

There are several other considerations, but I will have to leave it here for now...

Good info. I'm horrible at selling to end-users but I've developed an automated system to check availibility of domain names. About 6 months ago I populated a database with domains that were combinations of the top x number of US cities and around 100 business keywords. I only went two words; city name and one keyword. I came up with a ton that were available. I regged a few but never did do any pitching.

If you're interested I'd be willing to talk to you about the possibility of a collab where I find your domain names and you sell them. 50/50 split? This would apply to any else interested. Please pm me if you're interested.

•••

How about .info geo domains??? Are 2-3 words .info geo dimains worth?

•••
•••
How about geo names in .org or .net?

•••
How about geo names in .org or .net?

End-users buy the .com even when the .net and.org are available to register. For me, that confirms over and over again that the .com is king.

At some point I tried selling geo .net and .org and it was a waste of time and money. It would only work if you have one-word .net or .org.

•••

here is a tool to do so easily

http://f1lter.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back