Dynadot

news The world is running out of domain names — what will we do when they’re all gone?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Article I found published on Quartz (QZ.com)
The world is nearly out of good “.com” domain names—and even the fourth circuit of the United States Court of Appeals agrees.

As global internet usage rises, .com naming is going to get more and more complicated. Our languages only contain a finite number of meaningful words, so brand naming is becoming much more than coming up with a unique, snazzy moniker—it also involves knowledge of intellectual property rights, law, and a large of dash of luck.

Many well-known brands have encountered challenges securing their preferred domain names. For example, Google renamed their parent company “Alphabet,” but it doesn’t own alphabet.com—BMW does. In 2014, Microsoft spent $2.5 billion to acquire Mojang, the Swedish company behind the popular Minecraft video game, but it didn’t get the domain name minecraft.com with it—that belongs to an Australia mining-engineering company, MineCraft Consulting PTY Ltd. (Oh yeah—that Minecraft.) Meanwhile, Nissan has spent over 20 years trying to acquire nissan.com from a man named Uzi Nissan, and it took Apple 16 years to acquire apple.co.uk from a British company called Apple Illustrations.

Read Full Story here:
https://qz.com/994698/domain-name-r...-become-a-lot-worse-when-we-run-out-of-names/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The best news I have heard! Scarcity. .Com, thx for posting!

•••
Any medium experienced+ domainer will know that this is total BS.

•••
Do you buy gold or lead as a precious metal to hedge against the banking collapse? .com is the real gold of the domain name industry.

•••
•••
Any medium experienced+ domainer will know that this is total BS.

True. Not the same thing for the average joe trying find a name for his whatever, though...

Last edited:
•••
•••
It's like the housing market - a lot of people own multiple houses, and many houses are empty or otherwise unused. As the value increases, you get better utilisation, but you also get an increase in speculative investment. I guess it's great nes for anyone owning a portfolio of names, or with the ability to build one.

•••

The world is nearly out of good “.com” domain names—and even the fourth circuit of the United States Court of Appeals agrees.

As global internet usage rises, .com naming is going to get more and more complicated. Our languages only contain a finite number of meaningful words, so brand naming is becoming much more than coming up with a unique, snazzy moniker—it also involves knowledge of intellectual property rights, law, and a large of dash of luck.

Many well-known brands have encountered challenges securing their preferred domain names. For example, Google renamed their parent company “Alphabet,” but it doesn’t own alphabet.com—BMW does. In 2014, Microsoft spent $2.5 billion to acquire Mojang, the Swedish company behind the popular Minecraft video game, but it didn’t get the domain name minecraft.com with it—that belongs to an Australia mining-engineering company, MineCraft Consulting PTY Ltd. (Oh yeah—that Minecraft.) Meanwhile, Nissan has spent over 20 years trying to acquire nissan.com from a man named Uzi Nissan, and it took Apple 16 years to acquire apple.co.uk from a British company called Apple Illustrations.

Read Full Story here:
https://qz.com/994698/domain-name-r...-become-a-lot-worse-when-we-run-out-of-names/
Great article thanks for sharing

•••
The article doesn't tell me anything new.
Yes, it's not easy to find a decent .com domain name at reg fee. That's why there is an aftermarket.

The more .coms that get registered the more strong the .com aftermarket becomes. After all end users can't easily reg the .com domain they want (as all good words and good keyword combinations are likely taken) so as .com registration numbers grow those businesses will contact domain owners more and more frequently. If anything this article tells me that .com is a good investment for domainers and will become even better and better in time.

Last edited:
•••
Ever heard of anyone wanting one?

what i meant was that even if it were true that all .coms are gone, which is not true, people could still buy .net

we will never run out of domains

•••
what i meant was that even if it were true that all .coms are gone, which is not true, people could still buy .net

we will never run out of domains
The aftermarket will also always have a huge supply of .com domains for end users (and a lot of these domains get recycled over and over again). I can't imagine we will ever run out of domains.

Last edited:
•••
During the 70's the world was running out of oil. Now, we have a glut.

Just go on Pinterest and look at the domain names bloggers use....2,3 and even 4 word combinations.

Weloveparsley.com ain't too pretty, but it works just fine.

One word .com unavailable? So what? Phrases work just as well.

•••
It's not new & total BS, every day there are thousands of domain get listed on after market & lot of domain get available for reg.

•••
Secure one that you loved... before it's too late:xf.eek:

•••
Great article thanks for sharing

Anytime dude, happy to share content that I come across and find interesting.

•••
Great article, ... scarcity of dot com is coming, thanks for sharing.

•••
I can imagine that someone who doesn't know anything about domains is shocked when he tries o reg a domain for his business. The times for a decent reg fee .com that endusers can pick are history. :xf.smile::xf.cool:

•••
Back in the day there were house phones then hands free carphones then mobile phones then people got lazy and couldn't be bothered to phone and chose to text instead then came domain names and then shorter domain names eg gtlds and now domain names are getting even shorter to 1 character emoji domains I'm not sure where domain names can go after emoji domains as domains can't get shorter than 1 character etc

•••
It seems they are using ip addresses with .xyz tagged on the end. :)

•••
Back in the day there were house phones then hands free carphones then mobile phones then people got lazy and couldn't be bothered to phone and chose to text instead then came domain names and then shorter domain names eg gtlds and now domain names are getting even shorter to 1 character emoji domains I'm not sure where domain names can go after emoji domains as domains can't get shorter than 1 character etc

You will sit on your sofa, your brain connected wirelesly to Siri or Alexa and just think of a domain and poof, it'll be on your full wall screen...

•••

Read Full Story here:

Even though I may not agree with the article, it is still a great topic of conversation.

Thank you so much for posting it.

Alternative is to register 3-4 words or buy in the aftermarket. I don't know about you guys but the vast average whenever I check a domain name it is owned by a domainer. As with any real estate (digital or physical) one just has to pony up the cash for the nice waterfront view. There is no shortage of domain names in the aftermarket.

•••
each and everyday 100.000 .com are dropped
you can hand reg a good .com domain any given day

maybe not a great one..
but why not
if you keep it long enough to become a great one

•••
You will sit on your sofa, your brain connected wirelesly to Siri or Alexa and just think of a domain and poof, it'll be on your full wall screen...

Audio domains

I reckon we won't need to own computers because by owning technology tech can only move at the speed at which people upgrade their tech eg computers etc but I reckon that tech screens owned by Internet giants will be freely available every where

•••
I agree that the most valuable domains are gone but there will always be variations that most companies are happy with. If you own a dental company you may want greatsmile.com but you may not be willing to pay five figures for it so what do you do. Simple, you add another word. Greatsmiledental.com, greatsmiledentistry.com, mygreatsmile.com, greatsmilesolutions.com etc......and on and on and on. So yeah we may have run out of the most valuable shorter names but we will never run out of alternative solutions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back