Domain Empire

.us The .US Discussion and Registration Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

owntype

DomainName.comTop Member
Impact
How to protect the .US domain if I can't meet nexus Requirement?

I believe there are many domainers outside (or no connections to) U.S still own .us domains, so how you guys make it safe? Tips needed, thanks in advance! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can someone post or PM me about what is the best way for a non-US person to own .us domains.

You can direct me to the info if it's already posted, but I didn't see it. Thanks!!!

•••
what is the best way for a non-US person to own .us domains.
Incorporate a US company for example.
If you're a US resident you qualify too.

Last edited:
•••
I am a US citizen so I did know that, I was talking about non-US owners?

What I am looking for is what options are available and what is best. Things like:

1) Incorporate. Yes, but expensive and not needed just to own .us domains.
2) Lie about physical address. What happens if detected?
3) Partner with US company. Is this legal and allowed? Requirements?
4) Hire a US person as an "agent" who will act as a legal registrant?
5) Rent a PO box in the US and use that for the registrant?

Other ideas and options?

•••
c-v.us
s-r.us
e-k.us
t-y.us
z-d.us

Reged them 2 days ago

•••
I am a US citizen so I did know that, I was talking about non-US owners?

What I am looking for is what options are available and what is best. Things like:

1) Incorporate. Yes, but expensive and not needed just to own .us domains.
2) Lie about physical address. What happens if detected?
3) Partner with US company. Is this legal and allowed? Requirements?
4) Hire a US person as an "agent" who will act as a legal registrant?
5) Rent a PO box in the US and use that for the registrant?

Other ideas and options?

It's all documented at http://www.neustar.us/policies/nexus_requirement

See PDF for detail

1) Can't incorporate just for domains
2) You lose it (see video.us)
3) Not sure. If you do business in the us probably ok
4) Then you don't "own" the name
5) That won't fulfil the requirement - see 1

•••
2) You lose it (see video.us)
What does "video.us" have to do with anything...?

•••
•••
No problem, that is interesting, but in the case I am posting about the EHOIS info is valid, just not by a US citizen. I wonder if a business could be built around #3&4 above. As far as not owning the domain, the same is true when you use private WHOIS services.

•••
No problem, that is interesting, but in the case I am posting about the EHOIS info is valid, just not by a US citizen. I wonder if a business could be built around #3&4 above. As far as not owning the domain, the same is true when you use private WHOIS services.

I think the rules are clear. The registrant (the owner) must fulfil Nexus requirements.

If you want to enter an agreement with a third party that is probably ok if the third party is a legitimate entity and you have a decent contract - as this will be your only recourse (just like it would be for privacy). However, that entity must have a bona fide presence not LIMITED TO .US domain name registration if it is not incorporated in the US.

•••
Hello dot US. I bought aircraft.us awhile back and was thrilled to get it. Everyone's probably seen me bragging about it somewhere on NP. :rolleyes:

A lot of people have told me what a great name it is and a number of ways that it might be developed. Well the development will have to wait. I'm just leaving domaining to start developing some sites.

I don't think I'd take less than $$$$$$ (which just means considerably more than it's worth). Is this name worth tucking away for future development? Does it have good development potential? Would it work me to death?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
Charles

•••
Non-US ownership of .us domains

Thanks to all who have posted in response to my questions about a non-citizen owning .us domains.

If you or someone you know has been investigated and threatened with losing the domain because of non-compliance with Neustar rules, please contact me. I may have information that will help and allow you to keep from losing your domain(s).

•••
Hello dot US. I bought aircraft.us awhile back and was thrilled to get it. Everyone's probably seen me bragging about it somewhere on NP. :rolleyes:

A lot of people have told me what a great name it is and a number of ways that it might be developed. Well the development will have to wait. I'm just leaving domaining to start developing some sites.

I don't think I'd take less than $$$$$$ (which just means considerably more than it's worth). Is this name worth tucking away for future development? Does it have good development potential? Would it work me to death?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
Charles

Before I bash you for your foolishness, let me say that aircraft.us is a great name.

Your post is silly, IMHO. You're contributing to the problem with .us: speculators are sitting on great, undeveloped names with no plans to develop.

You'll never get "$$$$$$" for aircraft.us, unless you put a viable site there and still hang on for several years.

You're dreaming, and stifling the .us namespace with your fantasy of vast quick riches.

You're only fooling yourself and hurting every domainer here who has bothered and worked to develop a .us name.

You are not a comrade, you are not even a resonable speculator. You are a dreamer, a fantisizer, a poser.

Do something valuable with the domain, and it will become valuable. Merely sitting on it dreaming for a big payday will only garner your curiousity when your old and gray, as you wonder: "I should have taken $1000 for it years ago."

Last edited:
•••
You're only fooling yourself and hurting every domainer here...
Yes, stop sitting on them expecting a high price so we can develop them.

And sell them for a high price.

Hmmm, how is that any different...?

I don't know, I do some developing and I don't feel hurt by people sitting on domains they expect to make a killing on. I do think they are dreamers and have unrealistic expectations, but I don't feel offended or upset by what they do. There is no shortage of domains to develop, even .com domains that I am aware of. If anything, the diminished availabilty increases the prices. It workd for DeBeers and I think it is working for domains as well. Just my opinion. :)

Last edited:
•••
Before I bash you for your foolishness, let me say that aircraft.us is a great name.

Your post is silly, IMHO. You're contributing to the problem with .us: speculators are sitting on great, undeveloped names with no plans to develop.

You'll never get "$$$$$$" for aircraft.us, unless you put a viable site there and still hang on for several years.

You're dreaming, and stifling the .us namespace with your fantasy of vast quick riches.

You're only fooling yourself and hurting every domainer here who has bothered and worked to develop a .us name.

You are not a comrade, you are not even a resonable speculator. You are a dreamer, a fantisizer, a poser.

Do something valuable with the domain, and it will become valuable. Merely sitting on it dreaming for a big payday will only garner your curiousity when your old and gray, as you wonder: "I should have taken $1000 for it years ago."

Since no one bothered to read my first note, I'll paraphrase and try again.

The first thing you should have noticed was that "$$$$$$ just means considerably more than it's worth." That means that I know that it doesn't currently have a lot of value.

And if you had read the rest of the post you would have noticed that my questions were:

1) Does it have good development potential?
2) Would it work one person to death (trying to run the site)?

.... lastly, is there anyone in this thread who knows how to respond like an adult?

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Yes, stop sitting on them expecting a high price so we can develop them.

And sell them for a high price.

Hmmm, how is that any different...?

I don't know, I do some developing and I don't feel hurt by people sitting on domains they expect to make a killing on. I do think they are dreamers and have unrealistic expectations, but I don't feel offended or upset by what they do. There is no shortage of domains to develop, even .com domains that I am aware of. If anything, the diminished availabilty increases the prices. It workd for DeBeers and I think it is working for domains as well. Just my opinion. :)

I'm really just trying to decide whether or not it's something that one person can develop and manage. If it's not, then I need to sell it and move on because I can't put all of my time into one website. Thanks for your response and your civility.

Best of luck to you !!!

•••
Aircraft.us is a decent name, but it isn't "omg I just won the jackpot" great. It has development potential in that it's keyword is heavily used and has commercial value.

Now, your second question is really like asking "how long is a piece of string". How long do you want it to be as a string can be just about any size you want.

If you want to showcase aircraft pictures and commentary to get ranked for certain keywords and then generate revenue from that traffic via whatever method you prefer, than that's a pretty straightforward task and shouldn't consume all your time.

If you want to broker aircraft and get a commission for sales or paid listing fees, then that's more time and more money but certainly larger revenue potential.

If you want to create a storefront that sells model aircraft, remote control aircraft and posters, then you can do that in a week and then spend time marketing it if you like that sort of thing.

Come up with a good idea, figure out how to make money from it and keep the scope of work inside your time and budget allowances and you can make the name successful. Let it sit on a parking page and you *may* cover your renewal fees until a buyer comes along and offers you 3 figures.

Have fun!

•••
Some fairly nice names dropped today.

Here are a few that weren't picked up if anyone wants them:
adjective.us
cemetaries.us
expressomaker.us
localjobsearch.us

•••
No option available i think

I think there is no option for .US to be purchased by U.S citizens only. There are .in domains which are sold outside india. Dont know exactly what protection is about

•••
A big .us insurance portfolio dropped today, which may not be a great sign for local domains and/or .us in general, but I was quite happy to get chicagoinsurance as well as connecticutinsurance and losangelesinsurance among others. If anyone is interested, there are some fair ones (IMO) left if anyone wants to get in on the action:

autoinsurancefinder.us
buymedicalinsurance.us
cheapboatinsurance.us
bestmedicalinsurance.us
healthinsuranceguide.us
discounttravelinsurance.us
besthomeequityloans.us
wichitainsurance.us
fortworthinsurance.us
onlinehealthinsurance.us
onlinemedicalinsurance.us
mesainsurance.us
honoluluinsurance.us
fresnoinsurance.us
memphisinsurance.us
arlingtoninsurance.us
milwaukeeinsurance.us
localautoinsurance.us
baltimoreinsurance.us
omahainsurance.us
tucsoninsurance.us

•••
A big .us insurance portfolio dropped today, which may not be a great sign for local domains and/or .us in general, but I was quite happy to get chicagoinsurance as well as connecticutinsurance and losangelesinsurance among others. If anyone is interested, there are some fair ones (IMO) left if anyone wants to get in on the action:

Thanks for the list, looks like I'm a day late on those cityinsurance.us :gl:

•••
Aircraft.us: Look at what is on the .com, .net and .org versions of the site. What are they doing with the name/ Is this something that looks valuable and generates revenue? What about other niches? Model Aircraft, Images and paintings, Books about, history, forum for buffs. There are quite a few options you just have to decide what you CAN and are willing to do. I like the name but .us need love to realize their potential. A great tip is to look in search results and see what is being under-served CONTENTwise. Many .com and .org names are parked giving you a development window and potential SEO advantage. Good luck.

•••
•••
I like the name but .us need love to realize their potential. A great tip is to look in search results and see what is being under-served CONTENTwise. Many .com and .org names are parked giving you a development window and potential SEO advantage.

I would say by far the majority of .com and .org are parked. So any site with content should be able to beat them. More and more .us is my tld of choice because I can get such good keyword domains for less than $100. A pity I can't develop as fast as I find them :(

•••
Did anybody notice that .us registration stats have been rather negative for the last few months.
http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2010.php

I haven't paid much attention to this site, is it fluctuating more dramatically than it has in the past? I see domain tools is showing 1,746,606. Seems there is a bunch of similar names (portions of portfolios) and other junk dropping recently. There's been a lot of talk about development from newcomers throughout the year, hopefully the majority will follow through. I have a few more .us domains I'd like to work on this winter.
Looks like the expiring gems are still getting plenty of attention, maybe more buyers are adopting the quality over quantity practice. :tu:

Last edited:
•••
•••

Either you didn't read my post or you just didn't understand it because your response has little or nothing to do with the questions I asked. Maybe you should read it again, slowly, from start to finish. Jesus Christ if anybody's doing any harm to the US extension it's the frustrated, hot air buffoons like yourself. Get a grip man.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back