IT.COM

domain The Unofficial NP Domain Appraisal Guide

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

skyraider

Browsing the InterwebnetVIP Member
Impact
Hey everyone,
Here's my first attempt at a helpful article for us NP'ers: Domain Apprasial. If this isn't in the right section, please move it ;)

Article: How to better help a domain owner determine a domain's value

Many appraisers on NamePros simply post "Low to mid $xx" or "Low $xx IMO" or "High $xxx" without stating a reason for his/her valuation. In this thread, I hope to better the NamePros appraisal forum by providing suggestions for how appraisers can better assist the owner of a domain determine the value of his/her name in several different situations. To start off, let's look at the different types of major extensions in the most common order of what they're worth.

.com is the commercial extension. Typically, .com domains are worth the most.
.net used to be a "network" extension; however, it fits forums well and is used when the .com version of a domain isn't available.
.org is the most 'restricited' of the top 3 TLD's. By 'restricted', I mean that many .org names aren't worth much at all unless they are obviously useable for a nonprofit organization. Recently, however, with many other TLD's being taken, the value of a good .org has increased.
.biz is the business extension. Although not widely used, some businesses do have .biz domains. A commercial keyword ending with .biz can be quite valuble.
.us means .United States. Domains that would be usable to a United States reseller aiming its products at the U.S. market can be worth a good amount in .us.
.info domains are an intereted batch. .info domains can be registered for under $3; additionally, a premium .info domain is typically worth less than a premium .com or .net. There are exceptions; some buyers do indeed value .info's over other domains because of factors such as universality.

When appraising a domain, be sure to keep the following factors in mind: keyword frequency, length of the name, extension and relevancy of the extension.
Keyword frequency in search can be determined using the Google AdWords Keyword Tool. The more searches conducted on a particular keyword or set of keywords, the more valuble that keyword or set of keywords is as a domain name.
Length of the domain name is another important factor; users have an easier time remembering shorter names. In addition, longer domains may recieve less traffic than competitors because users simply don't want to type in computerdiscussions.com when they could go to pctalk.com, which is (let's pretend, at least) of similar or equal quality.
Relevancy of the extension is the most important factor in appraising a domain name. For example, EuropeanUnion.us does not fit its extension in that the EU is not a United States body. Another example: buycars.org may try to be a commercial site. However, since .org is typically used for non-profit groups, the site may not have much success.

Remember to keep all of the factors in mind when appraising a domain. Also, say more than "Mid $xx". Tell the owner what he/she needs to know to develop a sense of the domain's value.

~ Also include what you would pay ~

Recently, many appraisals here at NP have been based around what the appraiser thinks the value of the domain name is to a another reseller and to an end user. That's good, but it may not be all that helpful to the owner of the domain being appraised. Why?

The real value of a domain is what it sells for.
If you think that someone else may pay $250 (low $xxx) for a domain, but you're a frequent domain buyer and you're only willing to pay $25, then you should state that in the post. Tell the owner what you would pay, even if it's only $5. Here's why: if 5-15 appraisers are only willing to pay $5, the domain is likely worth $5 in the reseller market.

Example: if your domain recieves 10 appraisals, and 8 people say that it's only worth $10 because they aren't looking to develop a website around such a topic, then it gives the owner a good idea of what the domain is actually worth to domain resellers.

However, if the two remaining appraisers would pay $xxx because they plan to develop a website around that topic or may be interested in or capable of doing so, then the owner has an idea of approximately what percentage of the domain/website development market his or her domain name is marketable to.

Summary: in addition to reseller & development value estimations, tell the owner of a domain what you personally would pay for the domain, no matter how low, because a domain is only worth what it sells for.

~ Example: ~

Sports.us is the domain being appraised. You'd go to Overture and find that many people searched for "sports". You realize that sports are played in the United States, so the extension is relevant. The domain is short and sweet, adding to its value. Also, there are tons of results on Google for "sports". So you'd say:

"Since 'sports' had X searches this January on Overture and since it's very short and memorable, I'd say you could sell it for [price] to an end user and [price] to a domain investor. The extension doesn't hurt if you can find a user with a sports site targeting the United States market."

~ Example #2: ~

MarketForums.net is the domain being appraised (using this one b/c I own it). I'm the appraiser. I go to Overture and find high results for 'market' and 'forums', but not 'market forums'. On Google, however, there are surprisingly many results for "market forums", probably meaning that there's a large interest in the subject. So, search results are OK for this domain. The extension would be better in .com; however, .net does not bring the value down too much considering that many .net is often used for forums.

For an international market forum, this domain is good. To a developer wanting to start up a United States stock market forum, however, MarketForums.us may be better. To a domain investor, MarketForums.net would be the pick over MarketForums.us.

~ Example #3: Country Code Extensions ~

Beaches.sc (also mine) is the domain up for appraisal. On first sight, you might say "Registration fee; the extension hurts it." However, upon using your friend Google to research the .sc extension, you find that the ext. was created for the Seychelles, a beautiful French archipelago and a great tourist/vacation destination. In your appraisal, you should include that because the U.S. market for tourism to French lands is down at the moment because we're munching on freedom fries, beaches.sc could be used as .South Carolina.

Overture tells you that there are hundreds of thousands of results for beaches in South Carolina like Myrtle Beach. Enlighten the domain owner to the fact that with a good amount of development as a South Carolina beach information site, beaches.sc is an excellent keyword domain and would be worth [price]. However, to a domain investor, .sc may mean "source" (like whois.sc); "beaches source" makes no sense and wouldn't be worth much at all.

~ Example #4: 3-Letter Domains ~
When your appraise three-letter domains, take two main things into consideration: if the letters mean anything or are an acronym and the quality of the extension. FYI.co.in is likely worth more that QYX.com because FYI means "For Your Information", whereas QYX does not have a widely known meaning. 3-letter domains (LLL - Letter Letter Letter) are typically more valuble than LNL (Letter Number Letter) or NNL or NLN names because they're easier to pronounce.

~ Helping the domain owner: ~

Tell the person who posted the domain all of this info, including what market(s) the domain would be most valuble in and why. It helps him/her get a better feel for the value of the domain in different situations with different buyers. You should also get a feel for the value of certain extensions and for whether the market is "bull" or "bear". To keep up with the market, frequent sites such at DNJournal.com and the NamePros sales forums to see how much names are going for.

If you enjoyed my article and think other NP'ers could benefit from it, please send some $NP this way so I can sticky the thread.

Happy appraising! B-)

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seychelles

~ Example #3: Country Code Extensions ~

Beaches.sc (also mine) is the domain up for appraisal. On first sight, you might say "Registration fee; the extension hurts it." However, upon using your friend Google to research the .sc extension, you find that the ext. was created for the Seychelles, a beautiful French archipelago and a great tourist/vacation destination. In your appraisal, you should include that because the U.S. market for tourism to French lands is down at the moment because we're munching on freedom fries, beaches.sc could be used as .South Carolina.

Hi

Very good article especially for a noob like me, I read anything I can. One point about the Seychelles archipelago though, it has been an independant republic from both the U.K. and France for more than a quarter of a century, way before the Franco-American Iraq war confrontation at the U.N.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Seychelles

Thanks for the great article.

Patrick

•••
Keyword frequency in search can be determined using the Overture search frequency tool. The more searches conducted on a particular keyword or set of keywords, the more valuble that keyword or set of keywords is as a domain name.

I agreeeeeeeee

•••
We should not mix domain appraisal with web site appraisal ...

All over the Internet related forums people keep mixing domain name with web content. If a name is important, the price goes with the name.
If a web (content) is important, the price goes with the web (content). If a web gets another domain, PR, SERP, etc. will normally not change because of that. If the domain stays the same and content changes, PR, SERP etc. normally do change. It is up to potential buyers to decide what is important. Appraisers can't know it, and it would be really stupid to tell them.

•••
A really great article this one.

Hope members continue contributing.

•••
Domain name is not keyword ...

In a search, people type in the keywords they think are related to the item that they are looking for. If somebody wants information about "water beds", he/she could begin by trying "waterbed.com" and "waterbeds.com", then "waterbed.info", and down all the over 100 TLD's. After that, maybe, "bed.com" - "beds.com", down the row again. Still, it takes reading lots of webs.
This is not so silly, and it often works.
After all, typing "water" and "bed" in a search engine brings up so many results that the filtering may take just as long as the first method. And, again, each web needs to be browsed to find out if it is useful for our purpose.
Typically, we may find what we want on a domain named something like "sleepwell.com", "sleep.it, "sleep-on-water.info.
Domain appraising is a matter of absolute subjectivity.

•••
Greetings to everyone. Being new here I just want to say that I really appreciate the quality of a post like this.

One thing about domain name appraisals that puzzles me is why the free online domain appraisal services often put such a high value on domain names. What's in it for them to give such inflated values? I know a domain name is usually just worth whatever you can get for it, unless of course it is a very valuable keyword domain name, or of utmost value to a particular buyer. Just curious.

Last edited:
•••
VS said:
Greetings to everyone. Being new here I just want to say that I really appreciate the quality of a post like this.

One thing about domain name appraisals that puzzles me is why the free online domain appraisal services often put such a high value on domain names. What's in it for them to give such inflated values? I know a domain name is usually just worth whatever you can get for it, unless of course it is a very valuable keyword domain name, or of utmost value to a particular buyer. Just curious.

I think that it can be an attempt to drive up prices by creating the impression that a domain is more valuable than it would ever go for. But most of the time, it seems to be that the site owner simply does not take into account all of the factors we have discussed in this thread.

•••
What would an LLL.us which actually spells a persons name be worth?

•••
oops wrong thread

Last edited:
•••
Great article.

One thing i dont get is why do you show .us as a cctld example but no mention of some of the other cctlds? I believe .de and .co.uk are more accepted by their countrymen? .ca in canada is quite strong too. Also, what are your htought on the .tv extension?

Cheers

•••
I've been assuming that the .info market is overheated due to cheaper reg - $2.19 at one place in particular.

For that reason I've steered clear of them.

Maybe it's time for a bit more research...

Thanks,
Jane

•••
New Here: What are $XX and so on in dollar value

Please explain.

•••
wot said:
I live in Thailand and we can hire hitmen very cheaply, possibly just a few NP's will do the trick

There must be a joke in here somewhere about how much sucide bombers get paid....

Something about Virgins being taxable beneifts?

kubativity said:
One thing i dont get is why do you show .us as a cctld example but no mention of some of the other cctlds? I believe .de and .co.uk are more accepted by their countrymen? .ca in canada is quite strong too. Also, what are your htought on the .tv extension?

Speaking as a Uk-ensian, I find .co.uk to be a very strong extension - when it comes to currency signs and the proper spelling of the word colour it can't be beat - but I must also aknowledge that the majority of web-enabled UK companies purchase both .co.uk and .com domains - I suppose if they can't get both for one particular name, they will try and find a domain where they can.

Just my 2P (no, not cents!)

•••
stormydog707 said:
Please explain.

$xx means "2 figures" - any number from $10 to $99.

Similarly, $xxx means "3 figures" - any number from $100 - $999.

•••
•••
nice article i'm new at this and i appreciated the schooling..

•••
Really nice guide. Thanks a lot, bro!

•••
•••
thanks for your sharing..

•••
Very nice..thanks :blink: :blink:

•••
Zeeble said:
there are really 2 main points that I would like to bring up regarding this:

1. info is more valuable than .biz as it is more widely used, and even more so than .us.

2. You cannot really (IMO) say that an extension is valuable (I know, ive just done it) because its the overall domain which makes the value.

Depends on the site. I think .info is more valuable on a informative blog or some kind of information source or news site. For a store or picture site or something similiar, then .us is more valuable then .info because .info looks silly on entertainment/commercial sites.

•••
•••
•••
Valuations at present are NONSENSE

Really? All this appraising by amateurs and even those who are not, is at the present time just a lot of nonsense.
People are entitled to their views and opinions. So nothing wrong with that. But to extend one persons opinions to a valid market appraisal is just rubbish.
Even if you were to survey a large number of people with a standard set of questions - after analysing and tabulating and manipulating their answers - you will still not be able to produce anywhere near a market valuation. (People in surveys from the general population are not the market unless they are buyers for the particular name).
In the Real World of Real Estate valuations most people live in a house or flat - but just because they live in a dwelling it certainly doesn't make them knowledgeable about property values. Real Estate agents often do not come close to valuing a property near market value - and at times even professional valuers can be way off. The housing meltdown in the US is sufficient proof of that.
The only true valuations can be from people with money in their hand wanting to buy - and then there may be a discrepancy between the Seller's valuation and the Buyer's valuation. According to the laws of supply and demand the market value will be somewhere between the sellers and the buyers price - and influenced by numerous factors - such as the number of buyers, other similar property on the market for sale, economic conditions, and things such as aesthetics and use value.
If a property can be used commercially then the revenue streams can be used to calculate present value using a discounted cash flow model ... how many domain valuations are made this way? Only a few isolated individuals appear to have even a clue what Discounted Cash Flow means let alone are able to calculate it.
Then when it comes to Aesthetics - value is in the eye of the beholder. This reminds me of when Blue Poles was purchased by the Australian Government and there was public outcry against the ridiculous price paid. Same again in respect of the Sydney Opera House. However, the market subsequently proved the critics to be wrong!

The same stories can be seen in placing values on houses, stocks and commodities.
If anyone is to take this industry Domaining seriously then Appraisals and Valuations need to be put on sounder footings and left to professionals - who need to get qualified and be able to prove their credentials. In the interim - just ignore what anyone says about your domain in terms of VALUE -and put it up for auction to see what the market really thinks. (Use a reserve or seller option in case you would rather keep the domain) :p

Last edited:
•••
As a newcomer to this site I found the article very informative. I will definitely use the tips. Good job and inform us more in your next.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back