Domain Empire

The Surface Pro 2, et al.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just received a fancy new Surface Pro 2 tablet that I ordered last week. It's got a bit of a learning curve to it, so I thought I'd share the knowledge that I've accumulated.

Where does the pen go?

Pro devices (not RT) come with a pressure-sensitive pen. It's not all that obvious, but the button on the side of the pen attaches magnetically to the charging port on the side of the tablet when not in use. It may take some fiddling to figure out how it works, but it should fit together easily; no force is required.

Screenshots

Hold the Windows button below the screen, then press Volume Down. The screen will dim for a moment, indicating a successful screenshot. The image will be stored in Photos\Screenshots.

Ctrl + Alt + Delete

Hold the Windows button below the screen, then press the power button.

Swiping from the top

Several gestures are started by swiping in from the top of the screen over an app. Start by swiping in from the top of the screen, then:
  • Swipe down just a little. You'll open the app menu if you're not on the desktop.
  • Swipe down to the middle of the screen, then back to the top of the screen. The selected app will be maximized (other panels will be closed).
  • Swipe down to the middle of the screen, then to the left or right, or over a panel. The selected app will be placed in the corresponding panel.
  • Swipe all of the way down, off the bottom of the screen. The app will be closed.
  • Swipe down to the middle of the screen, then off the left side of the screen. The app will be minimized, leaving an empty panel in its place. Tap the empty space to quickly open an app there.

Swiping in from the left

This motion starts several gestures. You can follow up with most of the continuations from Swiping from the top to perform the respective action on the last active app. For example, if I have Skype full-screen, and then I switch to the desktop, I can close Skype by swiping in from the left, then off the bottom of the screen.

Additionally, you can swipe in from the left toward the center, then back off the left side of the screen to open the app switcher, where you can switch between recent apps. You can also close and snap apps by right-clicking on or dragging them.

Swiping in from the right

This is a simple one. It only does one thing: open the Charms display. There are several Charms:
  • Search: Search within the current app, the web, settings, files, or your list of apps.
  • Share: Share information between apps. Useful for taking screenshots.
  • Start: Open the Start screen. Same as clicking the Windows button.
  • Devices: Control projectors, monitors, TVs, printers, etc. Useful for configuring an external display if you're watching a movie or similar.
  • Settings: At the top, lists options categories provided by the current app. At the bottom, you can configure WiFi, volume, screen brightness, screen rotation lock, notification hiding, power (sleep/shut down/restart), and the keyboard. At the very bottom, there's a "Change PC settings" button that opens the Windows 8 PC Settings app.

Swiping up from the bottom

Even simpler, this opens the current app's menu. It's the same as swiping down a little from the top. Depending on the app, this allows you to do things like open a web page, manage tabs, or perform actions on a selected item.

Selecting text

In Windows 8 apps, briefly tap a word to select. You'll be able to expand or contract the selection by dragging the two dots that appear on either side of the word.

Power states

The Surface RT and Surface Pro each have different power states. The RT is capable of turning off its screen while continuing to run apps in the background. The Pro can't do this, generally--yet. It's possible to change what the power button does on the Pro, but "turn off display" is notably missing. The Pro's display can turn off on its own after a delay, which you can change in the Power options, but you can't force it to turn off. Instead, the Pro enters a sleep state when you press the power button, by default. It's possible to change this to hibernate or shut down in Advanced Power Settings. Supposedly some apps may be capable of overriding the power button behavior so that it turns off the screen on the Pro (e.g., music apps), but I have yet to test this. Even if this is possible, the device will still be eating up power at the normal rate, so you shouldn't plan on getting a Pro if all you want to do is listen to music while you doze.

If you have a Pro and really need to let something run in the background while you leave your device, you can disable the sleep timer in Power settings. There are two separate timers: one for when the device is running on battery, and another for when it charging. If you need to do this occasionally while on battery, such as while presenting documents, create a separate power plan. You can easily switch between power plans by tapping the battery icon in the desktop taskbar.

USB

The Surface Pro 2 supports USB 3.0--I don't know about the other devices. This is important to note because most common USB devices use USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is backwards-compatible with older versions, but USB 3.0 is much faster, and is particularly useful with external hard drives and similar high-performance storage devices. The plastic tab inside a USB 3.0 connector is typically colored blue, but for style, Microsoft has gone with black, so USB 3.0 support may not be obvious at first glance.

If you get a portable hard drive, make sure it supports USB 3.0! You'll be paying more, but you won't regret it, especially if you're dealing with sizable or compressed files, or running programs off of the external drive. The speed difference is very noticeable. I've been using USB 3.0 since it first came out; going back to USB 2.0 feels like regressing to dial-up. Click, take a snooze while things open, click, snooze again...

USB 3.0 is unnecessary for devices that aren't transferring large amounts of data. For example, you'd be hard-pressed to find a USB 3.0 keyboard or mouse, and it'd be a waste. Additionally, most flash drives aren't capable of running at USB 3.0 speeds, so 2.0 is typically sufficient. It's possible to get higher-speed USB 3.0 flash drives, but they're pricey and not as fast as their hard drive counterparts.

Need more than one USB port? Invest in a USB 3.0 hub. Most USB hubs only support 2.0. Unless you get a 3.0 hub, all of your 3.0 devices will be running at 2.0 speeds. Even if you don't have a 3.0 device now, you'll likely have one in the future, as the Surface devices have limited storage space.

Need more storage space?

The most expensive Surface device, as of writing, offers 512 GB of high-speed SSD storage. I don't exactly download the entire Internet onto my computers, and I don't watch videos all that often, so my storage needs are conservative, relatively speaking. However, even I will use all 512 GB eventually. Time goes on and crap builds up; that's just the way it works.

The first thing to note is that your Surface device has very high speed internal storage. It's faster than a hard drive. It's called an SSD--solid-state drive--and it's the latest in storage technology. Going back to the Internet speed analogy, going from an SSD to an HDD (hard disk drive) is like going back to dial-up. I use SSDs for most things, but my newish, high-performance laptop still has an HDD, because the equivalent storage space in SSD form would be too expensive. It's painfully slow. I don't know how you people manage. ;)

So, you need some extra storage space. Flash drives are out because they're slow--so very slow. microSD cards are worse. That leaves you with portable HDDs and SSDs. You already know to go with USB 3.0, because you read the section above on USB, right?

Compared to hard drives, SSDs are ten times everything: ten times the speed and ten times the price. That's a significant upgrade, and not just in a good way.

If all you're doing is storing loads of pictures, videos, and music, go with a hard drive. Except for your initial data transfer, you won't need SSD speeds: instead, you'll need lots of space. Hard drives give the best bang per buck when it comes to storage space, even when compared to flash drives and SD cards. The biggest downside is that they eat up more power than alternatives, as they have internal moving parts.

Let's say you have a huge software suite--like Adobe CC or CS6--and you need a place to plop it. Adobe software is slow enough as it is. If you run it from a hard drive, you're going to lose that blazing fast feel that Microsoft manages to maintain on the Surface. Consider installing your software to an SSD so you don't kill the mood.

Backups? Well, now, you should really be storing those in the cloud. Portable drives can be lost, stolen, dropped, sat on, run over, incinerated, blown up, or evaporated. Good luck attempting that to the 200 GB of free SkyDrive storage space that you got with your tablet. Not sure how to claim your prize? There was a coupon with an unnecessarily long code in the packaging, attached to the warranty information and "this is how you press the 'on' button" pamphlet. This is why you never throw away packaging for electronics until the warranty has expired. If you threw it out, call up Microsoft--I'd be willing to bet they'd give you a new code.

What'd I leave out?

Let me know, and I'll add it. Note: My touch cover has yet to arrive, so I can't help you with those until next week, but I may pick up a type cover this weekend. I like them both, and I have a feeling my preference is going to depend on my mood. I have a Surface Pro 2, but I have some access to an original Surface. I've also been running Windows 8(.1) on a laptop with a touchscreen for a year, and even longer without a touchscreen.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Superb post!

The Surface keyboard is pretty important, so here's my review:

On-Screen Keyboard
This option is essentially identical to using a keyboard on an iPad. There is also a handwriting option that works surprisingly well at converting handwriting into text.

Touch Cover
I am an experienced typist (150+ WPM) who has used hundreds of keyboards, and I must say, this keyboard is the most frustrating one I've ever encountered.

• Cons:
    1. Zero sense of where your fingers are positioned on the keys: equivalent to typing with the on-screen keyboard, except you expect it to be better.
    2. Prone to typographical errors because unlike the on-screen keyboard that uses auto correction algorithms, the Touch Cover assumes that you're pressing the correct keys, so minor mistakes that would have been fixed with auto-correct remain unfixed.
  • Pros:
    1. Slightly lighter than the Type Cover.
    2. Provides screen protection.

Type Cover (Recommended)
This keyboard is perfect. It's a high quality keyboard that is very well built. It protects the screen of the Surface, and it's a breeze to type on: hence the name. This keyboard is the only viable option if you plan to do any serious work on your Surface.

Keyboard Generations
First generation keyboards: Touch Cover & Type Cover.
Second generation keyboards: Touch Cover 2 & Type Cover 2.​
  • The main difference between the first generation keyboards and the second generation is that the latter is backlit, which makes it effortless to see the keys in low lighting / dark environments. The backlighting is very minimal (in a good way); it provides the perfect amount of lighting.
  • There are also more sensors on the second generation keyboards, so they're more accurate at detecting which keys you intended to press, resulting in less missed keys while typing.

Last edited:
•••
I picked up a Type Cover 2 at a Microsoft store; my Touch Cover 2 will be arriving via UPS on Monday.

With the Type/Touch Cover 2, you can adjust the brightness of the keyboard backlight using the brightness keys on the keyboard. They're on the F1 and F2 keys. You can make it pretty bright, actually, but I like it dimmer. You can even turn it off altogether, if you want to conserve power--though the difference seems to be negligible. These batteries are beasts.

I can't say I'm a fan of the touchpad. It's pretty traditional, and I've grown used to the fancy multitouchpads that lack the buttons at the bottom. It's tough going back to that awkward position where your thumb is over the button while you're pointing. It takes a fair amount of pressure to click-and-drag, which makes me think that the buttons aren't purely capacitive. Pointing is easy, but dragging is a real pain. Scrolling is just how I like it--two-finger, drag-direction--but the device seems to get a little confused when I have more than one finger down. It doesn't scroll smoothly unless I get the pressure exactly right, and that means pushing down too hard for my liking.

I've been using the touchpad for most of my point-and-click work, since it's convenient--it's right under the keyboard. Instead of using the buttons, I tap to click: one finger for left click, two fingers for right click. However, when it comes to dragging items around on the screen--which happens often in Windows 8.1--it's just easier to use the touchscreen. I don't feel that way on my laptop, which has a touchscreen and a much nicer touchpad.

I wonder if it's because I have the sensitivity maxed out, but I really couldn't stand to have the cursor speed any lower on such a high resolution screen. I need to be able to go from one side of the screen to the other in a single motion.

All that being said, I've had much worse touchpads on high-end laptops. I'm very picky with my touchpads. Overall, it's an acceptably nice device. And, of course, the keyboard itself is awesome. I think I'm going to like the Type Cover 2 better, though.

•••
I love the idea of a full-blown Windows on a tablet, but I have 2 concerns:

1. How easy is it to use a Word & Excel on a tablet?*I can imagine it being tedious... but these would be my main on-the-road needs for full Windows

2. Aren't the other full-Windows tablets recently released better value?

•••
1. How easy is it to use a Word & Excel on a tablet?*I can imagine it being tedious... but these would be my main on-the-road needs for full Windows

I've been using them without a problem. You have four options for mouse input: a touchscreen, a touchpad (Touch/Type Cover), a pen (inductive if you have a Pro, or you can get a capacitive pen if you have an RT), and an actual mouse. There's nothing preventing you from plugging a mouse into the USB port or a USB hub. I know a few people who do that regularly. Microsoft also sells a Bluetooth mouse that flattens for portability. Since it's Bluetooth, you don't need to plug anything into the USB port. Be sure to buy the Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition if you want Bluetooth, though--the non-Surface Edition eats up a USB port.

2. Aren't the other full-Windows tablets recently released better value?

Not really. The cheapest RT Surface devices are a better value than the third-party alternatives, and the Surface Pro 2 comes with higher power options than equivalently prices devices from Dell, Acer, and others. Unless you're willing to forego the tablet part for an ultrabook, but at that point you might as well just get a better-value laptop.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

My Touch Cover 2 arrived. I think I like it better than the Type Cover 2, but the spacing of the keys takes some getting used to. I keep hitting S instead of A by accident. I have a little trouble approaching 100 WPM on it, but as long as I focus on keeping my hands properly spaced, I'm able to type at full speed.

•••
Hidden keys on the Touch/Type Cover 2 keyboards! I don't know if these work on the original Touch/Type Covers, but I assume they do.

Brightness

The keyboard brightness can be adjusted with F1 and F2 (Touch/Type Cover 2 only), but there's no obvious way to adjust the screen brightness. You still can, though! Fn + Del turns the brightness up, while Fn + Backspace turns the brightness down.

Print Screen

Print Screen, often seen as PrtScn or similar, is a popular key because it permits the user to copy a screenshot to the clipboard. While there's no visible Print Screen key on the Touch/Type Cover, you can use Fn + Space to send the equivalent keystroke.

Home, End, PgUp, PgDn

These keys exist physically on the keyboard, but if you want an alternative for whatever reason, you can use Fn along with [/b]Left, Right, Up, or Down[/b] to get Home, End, PgUp, or PgDn, respectively.

Try using Windows + Fn + Space to take a screenshot in the same manner as Home + Volume Down.

Fn + Caps Lock

I don't know what this does yet, but I'm pretty sure it does something. Let me know if you figure it out. I don't think it's a normal keyboard key, but it may do something like toggle the input layout.

Keys I can't find

I'm still missing a few keys--most notably, Insert. If you can figure out the combination, I'd appreciate hearing.

Last edited:
•••
Fn + Caps Lock

I don't know what this does yet, but I'm pretty sure it does something. Let me know if you figure it out. I don't think it's a normal keyboard key, but it may do something like toggle the input layout.

Keys I can't find

I'm still missing a few keys--most notably, Insert. If you can figure out the combination, I'd appreciate hearing.

What if you combine these two together? I don't have my Surface with me at the moment, but see if your mystery key is your lost key.

Update
It turns out that Fn + Caps Lock is used to set the F1 to F12 function keys as the default functions so that you don't need to hold Fn to use them.

• Fn+Caps: Locks F1-F12 into being function keys. Do it again and you get the charms, volume, Home, End, etc. if you are in the function lock mode, you can get the inverse options by pressing the Fn key, naturally.
  • Fn+<spacebar>: Print Screen.
  • Fn+<spacebar>+Alt: Print Screen for the in-focus App only.
  • Fn+Del: Brightness Up
  • Fn+Backspace: Brightness Down
  • Fn+<left>: Home
  • Fn+<right>: End
  • Fn+<up>: Page Up
  • Fn+<down>: Page Down

Source: http://gizmodo.com/the-surface-type-and-touch-covers-are-getting-more-func-511371838

Last edited:
•••
Type Cover Keyboard Update

The touch pad on it is worthless. You won't notice it until you need precision, and then the agony begins when you try to use the touch pad. It's useless. The stylus is the only option at that point.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back