Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Afilias acquired .mobi two years and a half ago.
Did anything special happen in .mobi since then ?
Four years ago, .pro was relaunched with relaxed requirements. Did .pro become more mainstream or raised its profile significantly ?
Is there anything particular that is supposed to happen in the last quarter, that we should know ?

That's roughly the 400th time that you have made a similar post. We have heard you, and heard you, and heard you, all God's little children have heard you.

8^X

•••
There is no comparison between .mobi and .pro as both serve much separate markets.

•••
There is no comparison between .mobi and .pro as both serve much separate markets.
That's not the point. The point is that both TLDs are now in the hands of the same registry, so what. They are not much more trendy or relevant now.

•••
I think afilias is bringing a lot more exposure to .pro! If .pro can get to even the same number of registrants as .mobi I think we would be doing good and it would represent a significant boost to .pro

Can't say things are moving quickly, but maybe it is on afilias' time clock.

•••
That's not the point. The point is that both TLDs are now in the hands of the same registry, so what. They are not much more trendy or relevant now.

Your only "point" is to aggravate Pro owners. You told me that you made the same observations and comments on other extensions. That doesn't appear to be true. Within the past few months your target extension has been Pro.

I don't understand why other people on this forum react to you ... respond to you. Your credibility has dropped off the scale. You are the Grinch of Proville.

8^X

•••
Last time I posted here was several months ago(besides last page) and it was the same. sdsinc and other 2-3 fellows wanna convince .pro owners that they will go down with this extension.
I am not a big .pro lover though I own some nice names and I am sure that like me, all the .pro enthusiasts here on NP already know what sdsinc mentioned dozens of time already. Now it would be nice for you mate to realise that and stop repeating yourself because that only shows that you have something personal against .pro and too much spare time. At least to me it does.

BTW, I rejected a 500eur offer on my carsales(dot)pro, name which I snapped with 50$ some months ago. I think it can go 4 figures.

•••
In other news, we just gave MiniSites.Pro a makeover since it generated some revenue in the past year.

And paintball.pro has crossed 100k visitors / month of which 11% are direct requests for the domain. :tu:

Shows with even basic development and the right domain, you can make a huge impact... irrespective of the extension.

•••
Your only "point" is to aggravate Pro owners. You told me that you made the same observations and comments on other extensions. That doesn't appear to be true. Within the past few months your target extension has been Pro.

I don't understand why other people on this forum react to you ... respond to you. Your credibility has dropped off the scale. You are the Grinch of Proville.

8^X

well, you must understand because you responded. this is a tired argument... its a domain name forum where people talk about all things domains.

here is the problem: half of the people think each individual thread on the domain forums is a "separate little world" and cant understand why anyone that doesnt own these kind of domains would want to participate. the other half realize this is a general domain name forum and thats where the interest comes from. just because you're interested in something doesnt mean you support it. cannot be stated any clearer than that.

one more thing - this type of "MOM GET OUT OF MY ROOM" talk looks weak to lurkers/guests.. it looks like you have no counterpoints when you do this and it makes for very uninteresting thread reading.

<edit>
also, i own one .pro domain so i am entitled to make this post. :)

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

early morning coffee rant, extended edition:

you can think more clearly if you stop being an "enthusiast" and work on becoming a realist. you dont owe loyalty to a TLD.

okay different topic - as somebody who is not a .pro "enthusiast" i decided to take a look at all the new gTLD applications one by one.. when you consider TLD length, how the TLD sounds when you say it (radio test), the generic/universal nature of the word -- .PRO is looking pretty good even stacked up against the first round of 1,900 new gTLD's where people had their pick of the most generic of generic words.

that doesnt really mean a whole lot on its own though - like trying to get the world to love your favorite underground band as much as you do. your reasons may be valid and they're probably better sounding than that crap they (used to) play on MTV but that doesnt eventually mean they'll "hit it big." some great sounding bands stay underground forever. that said, .PRO does have a head start if this new gTLD race ends up meaning anything years down the road.

its funny - most domainers are against new TLD's but an overwhelming number say "oh but .web might have a chance".... why? what sort of leap in logic is this? i dont think .web sounds terrible but that alone is a ridiculous reason to single it out as "having a chance."

the question of "why" is actually rhetorical - i know the answer and so does everyone else if they stop to think: some of the big domainers have said .web may have a chance and the parrots and followers keep repeating. i like reading the big domainers' blogs too but the idea is to catch the flavor of what they're saying - not follow in the exact same footsteps.

by the way, on the topic of having "too much time on your hands." file me into this category. although it isnt always such a bad thing - you can be more thoughtful with a lot of time on your hands.. you can also become more blind and bitter to other peoples thoughts that do not jive with yours.

ok bye.. im riding my bike down to the beach (but maybe thats code for sitting here all day...) ;)

Last edited:
•••
Recently purchased 1 GB RAM from memoryupgrade.pro

At one time, we could read a mail order advertisement for computer memory (for example) in a printed magazine or newspaper and order via USPS mail or toll-free number or fax.

I remember when I tried to place an ad in our local daily newspaper and the advertising department REFUSED to allow domain names to be included classified ads or display ads. Funny.

Recently, I ordered a 1GB memory upgrade for my laptop. Yes, I found the site in a Google look-up. Much to my surprise, I ordered from memoryupgrade.pro. Imagine that! They even answered the telephone and had helpful customer service. (the domain is not mine)

So what? It's always entertaining to see a few folks on this thread bashing dot pro. They give me practice to think independently, to make my own judgment, and to avoid distraction. They remind me who I need to avoid. Thank you.

To those people, I say, PLEASE continue to ignore the .pro TLD and .us and .net and .info and .me, etc.

The great FACT about domain names is that a .com or .net or .info or .pro is that each can be home to a multi-million dollar business.

Sure, I could worry about not having the penthouse or beach from location, BUT I'm in the building and I can see the sunrise, too.

Whether google or bing is in business tomorrow or not, I can use my .com or .pro to run nearly ANY business I want online. Isn't that FANTASTIC!

I am very excited about the future and .pro has a seat at my table.

•••
The underlying problem with dotpro is that almost all premium dotpro with popular keywords are hold by domainers. The lesser the dotpro sites being developed, the lesser attention/exposure it's going to get, and its value will be relatively lower than other popular extensions. Waiting game is unlikely to work out well, it's time for those BigBoys holding premium dotpro to do something with their PROs, instead of merely putting up the "for-sale" sign. Go create the appeal, and demands will follow.
Just my 2cents.

•••
The great FACT about domain names is that a .com or .net or .info or .pro is that each can be home to a multi-million dollar business.

Whether google or bing is in business tomorrow or not, I can use my .com or .pro to run nearly ANY business I want online. Isn't that FANTASTIC!

this always gets brought up. its a completely different conversation though. most people dont even realize these are separate things that have nothing to do with each other.

one is talking about the general public largely not being aware of new TLD's

the other conversation is whether or not you can run a business on any TLD and get it ranked high in the search engines - but really nobody is arguing you cant do this. it just gets brought up all the time as a strawman.

The underlying problem with dotpro is that almost all premium dotpro with popular keywords are hold by domainers. The lesser the dotpro sites being developed, the lesser attention/exposure it's going to get, and its value will be relatively lower than other popular extensions. Waiting game is unlikely to work out well, it's time for those BigBoys holding premium dotpro to do something with their PROs, instead of merely putting up the "for-sale" sign. Go create the appeal, and demands will follow.
Just my 2cents.

its part of the problem with any of the newer TLDs but you cant force meaningful development. the "big boys" likely own hundreds of these.. providing meaningful development on that many different topics is spreading yourself pretty thin and what you likely end up with is a bunch of pathetic minisites that only domainers think look good/are useful.

•••
At one time, we could read a mail order advertisement for computer memory (for example) in a printed magazine or newspaper and order via USPS mail or toll-free number or fax.

I remember when I tried to place an ad in our local daily newspaper and the advertising department REFUSED to allow domain names to be included classified ads or display ads. Funny.

Recently, I ordered a 1GB memory upgrade for my laptop. Yes, I found the site in a Google look-up. Much to my surprise, I ordered from memoryupgrade.pro. Imagine that! They even answered the telephone and had helpful customer service. (the domain is not mine)

So what? It's always entertaining to see a few folks on this thread bashing dot pro. They give me practice to think independently, to make my own judgment, and to avoid distraction. They remind me who I need to avoid. Thank you.

To those people, I say, PLEASE continue to ignore the .pro TLD and .us and .net and .info and .me, etc.

Sure, I could worry about not having the penthouse or beach from location, BUT I'm in the building and I can see the sunrise, too.

I am very excited about the future and .pro has a seat at my table.

Nice story and great spam!

•••
memoryupgrade.pro looks like a nice business. I'll check them out next time I need ram.

•••
memoryupgrade.pro looks like a nice business. I'll check them out next time I need ram.

nice business indeed.. like 10,000% markup on some items. $15 for 256mb ddr2 ram? ill sell you an entire ziplock freezer bag full for that.

so use ebay if you want real ram prices. its likely they do pretty well being ranked that high on google for "memory upgrade" tho

•••
impressive. That's heavy hitting for that keyword phrase in a pro!

•••
Somehow I like the fact that encirca stood up to this news on the domains regarding the zip.pro drops.

..and followed up a week later with this article titled: It's time for the .pro drop!

All the other extensions try to cover up this fact, but honestly it probably has no impact on .pro I really don't think anyone is going to leave this extension because others drop unless they just want to.

I think they are dead on...it's a buying opportunity and has been for the last few years! Plus just having the balls to come out and say it is awesome in a news release.

I was a little happy about the zip.pro drop thing as it was just scewing the numbers. Am I alone here? or is that all somehow cool!

•••
•••
So far, any .PRO registrar still make promotion (register and/or transfer) in market at moment?

•••
what's up with .pro? No real news from Afilias, no third quarter auction...no updates....the wait sure is drawn out longer than I thought it would be. Anyone heard anything exciting?

•••
nice business indeed.. like 10,000% markup on some items. $15 for 256mb ddr2 ram? ill sell you an entire ziplock freezer bag full for that.

so use ebay if you want real ram prices. its likely they do pretty well being ranked that high on google for "memory upgrade" tho

You need a large dose of manners son.

Last edited:
•••
•••
More business that goes .pro is going to be very helpful for the domain extension. Future gtld's will rely on the quality of their franchise. If .pro can continue to attract recognizable business it will head up!

Thanks for the strato post Jurgen...very encouraging news!

•••
You need a large dose of manners son.

if you think those are bad manners i'd like to be the first to welcome you to the online world, danielson..

•••
Total .pros registered, excluding Hostway zip .pros, rose by 5.3% in May 2012 to 111,171. The increase for the last 12 months is 68.7%. Average daily WHOIS searches edged down 2% to 85,162 but is still up 170% in the last 12 months. Encirca is remains the largest .pro registrar with 22,306 .pros followed by RU Center on 18,383.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back