NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The Government of Montenegro recognized the potential worldwide appeal that .ME could have and decided it should be operated as a generic name space to gain the maximum benefit for Montenegro. The Government issued a public RFP in November 2007. The goal of the RFP was to find a Registration Agent that could operate an international registry, provide world class backend registry services, and provide the marketing and promotional muscle needed to make .ME a worldwide success. Ultimately, we believe they made an excellent choice!

The contract was awarded to doMEn, d.o.o., a Montenegro based joint venture (doing business as .ME Registry) whose partners are Afilias Limited, GoDaddy.com, Inc., and ME-net d.o.o.

Landrush will start June 6 till June 26, domain names with more than 2 applications will go into Auction.

Go Live on July 17.

SO, what do you all think about the coming .me?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Transliteration rules were mainly established to have international standards for example for passports and legal documents, basically so anyone can read it.

You are right, today this is the only use of transiteration - passports and legal papers.
I actually cant think of any other use of transliteration nowadays. It's not of much use since Nokia phones and PC keybords come with cyrillic letters - what probably happened 10 or more years ago.
And you know what - i'm looking into my russian passport right now, the only thing transliterated is my name.
Sex is not transliterated, it's printed "sex" in latin letters and "пол" (gender) in russian cyrillic.

That doesn't change the fact that "Seks" is the only correct transliteration for the russian word "секс". It's not a misspelling as you put it and as the numbers prove the word "seks" is heavily used in Russia (In Russia for every 4 people using the word "sex" , one person is using the word "seks" according to Google and Yandex search stats).

You said your wife is Russian. So you could just ask her if she ever used a word "seks" in her life or seen the word anywhere in russian media, internet etc.
It's not heavily used. It's not used at all - beyond web searching. That's like "muzik" which may have more searches in Russia than "music" but is never used in content.

What is important is that Google and Yandex do understand what a user is actually looking for when he/she enters "seks" into search bar. If the search comes from Russia they will just return the results for "sex"/"cekc"..

You can check out seks.ru - if the word would be "correct" replacement for "sex" could you imagine sex.com parked that way?

If there will be dutch subtitles for russian news it will say "seks" for the word "секс", for english subtitles it will say "sex" for the word "секс". So I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

Dutch subtitles are not for Russians i presume. Russian subtitles would use "cekc".
All I'm trying to say is that "seks" is not used in Russia as a real word - it does look weird and misspelled and is only used by people who dont know how to spell "sex" correctly. The usage is limited to internet searches by those people, in real life they just dont use latin letters at all.

I didnt mean to say the domain has no value. There are still many searches coming from Russia and you have chances to find a buyer there. But it's good to know how/why the word is actually used..

Last edited:
•••
You said your wife is Russian. So you could just ask her if she ever used a word "seks" in her life or seen the word anywhere in russian media, internet etc.

My wife is not doing transliteration for herself because she has a cyrillic keyboard and understands cyrillic.

Transliteration is meant for people who can not read or type cyrillic. The amount of people who can not read or type cyrillic will only grow as the world population only grows. So the search stats for this domain will only grow.

In any case, I'm not sure what your arguement is. Are russian people using the word "seks" on russian television? No they are not.
Are russian people looking for the word "seks" in russian search engines or Google? Yes they are, and in massive amounts (whether they are using this search word purely transliterational or as you put it: a misspelling is a whole other discussion). In any case, domaining is pure internet so it's all about search engines and search stats.

Any domain which means the same as sex, may it be a translation or a transliteration will have imo a lot of value since "sex" by itself is arguably the most valuable word for a domain.

Since the word "Seks" has transliteration value to russians and translation value to many other countries I would dare to say it has plenty of value.

You can check out seks.ru - if the word would be "correct" replacement for "sex" could you imagine sex.com parked that way?

Sex.com actually was parked on more than one occassion before it got purchased for $13 million (on many other times it just had a crappy website on it with some banners and affiliate links). Right now there's a professional website on sex.com but it wasn't always like this.

There's a lot of super premium domains out there which are parked right now like Home.com , Discount.com , Advertisement.com , Marry.com , Laptop.com, Blogging.com , etc...
All those examples are domains which easily can fetch millions and yet they are simply parked.

So yes it's obviously possible that premium domains such as sex.com are simply parked. So why should there be a professional website on seks.ru?

Let's just stop this discussion and agree to disagree.

Last edited:
•••
cekc.me is registered to someone with a whois address in Russia. It was registered for two years before that and got no offers at all on Sedo and probably no typein traffic.

But that is using Roman alphabet characters that look like Cyrllic ones, not using a Cyrillic keyboard or transliterating Russian sounds to the accepted Roman alphabet equivalents.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I actually cant think of any other use of transliteration nowadays.

I'd guess the main use is to mention Russian words by name when using the Roman alphabet, for example if you want to explain that in Russian they call their country Rossiya.

My question is whether .me is of any attraction at all to Russian users or Cyrillic keyboard users. .Me is good in English and Spanish and mediocre in some other languages.

•••
My question is whether .me is of any attraction at all to Russian users or Cyrillic keyboard users. .Me is good in English and Spanish and mediocre in some other languages.

i dont think so: "me" means nothing to Russians who dont speak english.. and that is the vast majority of the nation. There's no any good/bad association with "me" in russian language - for russians it's just another vague extension no better than .nu, .us or .im

..so contary to english speaking countries doctor.me does not sound like "hey, it's a site of a doctor, i'm a doctor, doctor is me" to Russians at all

russian verbs plus .me have no meaning at all, english verbs are not understood

ruIDN market has .рф (Russian Federation - RF) now so ruIDN.me (or any other extension) is out of question

the only real sellable extension (i dont speak of $10-50 sales on forums between geeks and expats looking for splashy names for their personal blogs) is .ru, .net is good too when fits the name but not anywhere close to .ru in value and interest, .com is next to nothing as well as .org

imho

•••
cekc.me is registered to someone with a whois address in Russia. It was registered for two years before that and got no offers at all on Sedo and probably no typein traffic.

But that is using Roman alphabet characters that look like Cyrllic ones, not using a Cyrillic keyboard or transliterating Russian sounds to the accepted Roman alphabet equivalents.[

Well the word "cekc" like you wrote it (so not using actual correct cyrillic script like "секс" ) has significantly lower search stats compared to "seks".

"seks" has 1.2 million Exact global searches and 49,500 Exact Russian searches.
"cekc" only has 33,100 exact global searches and 6,600 Exact Russian searches.

Also the only market who could potentially be interested in a domain such as cekc.me would be the russian market. The word "seks" on the other hand is used in many other countries.

So frankly I'm not surprised cekc.me didn't get any bids on sedo (keep also in mind that only 1% of all "make offer" domains on Sedo get actual bids ;) ). Plus I highly doubt .me domains are popular with Russians in the first place.

But since I'm not really focusing on the Russian market with my Seks.me domain or any of my other .ME domains I don't see how this would be relevant for me.

Like I mentioned in my initial thread post the word "seks" is used in many countries, some of which even use it as their main word for "sex" (such as netherlands and belgium). And in many of those countries the .me extension actually is quite popular. "ME" is actually a dutch word as well and means the same as "me" in english ;)

Last edited:
•••
But since I'm not really focusing on the Russian market with my Seks.me domain or any of my other .ME domains I don't see how this would be relevant for me.

Like I mentioned in my initial thread post the word "seks" is used in many countries, some of which even use it as their main word for "sex" (such as netherlands and belgium). And in many of those countries the .me extension actually is quite popular. "ME" is actually a dutch word as well and means the same as "me" in english ;)

i do believe seks.me could be successfully promoted to Belgium or Netherlans end users.
i was just commenting on Russian market which is a different story..

Last edited:
•••
Nice site for parenting

Mom.me
If the site owner is here, congrats..

•••
•••
Let me tell you all something I 've been looking for NiagaraFalls name. I 've searched emailed and attempted to buy that name in an extension that I care about. .com .org or .me. So it's been about a month I 've noticed .me expiring. I have been stalking the .me NiagaraFalls. The reason I am finally asking you all for help is bc I ve'been stalking it and it shows it's dropping How come it hasn't? Who has it? Moniker? Wouldn't that be SnapNames so how come snapnames is not showing it in their drop list? I 've checked all dropped loc and I have back ordered it in ten locations What are your thoughts That name is priceless to me I am willing to put my farm up for it

Did you find out if NiagaraFalls.me ever dropped

•••
I was switching registrars away from godaddy, and I let my domain wingman(.)me drop.
Yes, I took the risk, and am happy that I got to pick it back up with namecheap.

Although, I am a little concerned about the value since godaddy didn't want to hold on to it themselves :/

•••
anyone see potential in these .me domains? dials.me, hooked.me, rubs.me or zipcodes.me

They are not on my active development list.

•••
•••
@webdomain, If you take the letter 's' away from the names, they would be highly valuable but the letter 's' kills their value, in my opinion.

The best criterion for picking a .me name containing action verbs is to see first how it fits with .com. For example, hireme.com makes sense, so I would register hire.me but I'll probably not invest in hires.me.

•••
Just did a research on the US presidency race and found an online poll called opinionpoll.me. Nice toy.

Afaik this website belongs to a member of Namepros. Congrats!

•••
Is there a market for C-V.me or V-C.me domains ? ( with hyphen)

•••
•••
anyone want dials.me or hooked.me, pm me within the next few days.

•••
What do you think about boutique.me?

That's a great name in my opinion. Locks up a huge market segment. What do you plan to do with it?

•••
Hi Guys, I have some .me names which I want to clear. Any idea how much they are worth and whats the best place to clear them.

annually.me
sexigirl.me
cinestar.me
distance.me
excellent.me
factbook.me
dime.me
quarter.me
expressions.me

Any one here wants them ?

•••
freegame.me
And freegames.me is reserved as a premium domain by domain.me

:)

•••
•••
•••
Regged my 1st .ME;

LEY.ME

Spanish for LAW or

english for grass filed

also would be great 4 licence plate.

has a few meanings obviously!

:hehe:

8^X8^X

•••
Albany. me on namejet with no bids
Futons. me on godaddy for 11 bucks

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back