Domain Empire

The future of .COM after new gTLDs boom! Big DROP?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

New.Life

THE.COMPANYEstablished Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i think .online will overtake .net in future , just check the alexa top million , .online is the 1st among all new gtlds.

•••
I don't visit websites with nGTLDs, for me(and for many other consumers) they are dead. Even zombies can sell. I don't doubt this. Schilling made a small fortune flipping .xxx domains a few years ago.
So now you speak for consumers as if it is a fact ? do you have stats on how many you polled ?
Save the companies that have developed on New "G"s it's not to late

•••
Everyone commented on the .online but I ask what looks better and makes more sense wn.media or wnmedia.com ?? It's kind of a no brainier cleaner shorter .. This is an instance where the gtld could sell for more than the .com

Wn.Media looks better this is what i would use

use the .com as a re direct
Cheers

•••
So now you speak for consumers as if it is a fact ? do you have stats on how many you polled ?

lol..no polls ... just me and some people I know. Also I don't notice them being that common in search results.

Do you use any web services that use them?

•••
I own no .mobi names. If it were possible to own a negative number of domain names to further distance yourself from the name space, I would probably own “negative thousands”

-Frank Schilling

http://www.domainbits.com/mobi/

•••
The domain community continues to argue about the popularity of extensions, but there is much more to the equation. Sure, .com sells for more, but there are domains with unpopular extensions that sell in the aftermarket. The focus should be less about the extension, but more on the complete string with an emphasis on overall quality. There are profits to be harvested in .com and new G's....It doesn't have to be only .com, or only New G's...The internet can prosper with .com and New G's living in harmony.

•••
Three certainties in life:
Death
Taxes
Domainers arguing about new extensions forever

•••
There are no links it's not something you can just read. you have to research, put several reports into one and that's what comes out
at this point in time. I'm not inclined to post such efforts for free. you can either do your own research to realize today 23% of startups are choosing something other than .com. Within the last 2 years the reported startups chose .com 100% those days are gone :)
Happy Hunting

As far as new gtlds, the topic of the thread, it's single digits.

Here's the latest one from yesterday, 84 startups, only 2 chose new gtlds

http://dngeek.com/2016/12/84-newly-...n-names-upcloud-com-workventure-com-ytel-com/

Last edited:
•••
•••
There are no links it's not something you can just read. you have to research, put several reports into one and that's what comes out
at this point in time. I'm not inclined to post such efforts for free. you can either do your own research to realize today 23% of startups are choosing something other than .com. Within the last 2 years the reported startups chose .com 100% those days are gone :)
Happy Hunting
The bold is just a lie you pulled out of somewhere. No supporting evidence whatsoever, maybe Jordan was your favorite player and you picked 23.
In Q1 of 2016, 1.3% of funded startups used a ngtld domain (source).

In Q2 of 2016, 2.3% of funded startups used a ngtld domain (source).

In Q3 of 2016, 2.1% of funded startups used a ngtld domain (source).

•••
This is last weeks: 1/57

http://dngeek.com/2016/12/57-newly-...mes-noona-com-partyhype-com-adventurebox-com/

In Q1 of 2016, 1.3% of funded startups used a ngtld domain (source).

In Q2 of 2016, 2.3% of funded startups used a ngtld domain (source).

In Q3 of 2016, 2.1% of funded startups used a ngtld domain (source).

"The new gTLDs lost a bit of ground compared to Q2 as they went from a 2.3% to a 2.1% slice."

So newly funded startups, with the world of new extensions to choose from, don't choose new glds that often, single digits.

Last edited:
•••
"The new gTLDs lost a bit of ground compared to Q2 as they went from a 2.3% to a 2.1% slice."[/QUOTE]

TWO STEPS FORWARD,ONE SMALL STEP BACKWARDS

•••
lol..no polls ... just me and some people I know. Also I don't notice them being that common in search results.

Do you use any web services that use them?
Yes
WHD.Global Domain/Hosting Events
Go.Global Registrar
PayPal.me Obvious
ABC.xyz Investor info
Facebook.Design Design Resources
Coffee.Club Obvious
BrewMasters. Club
Twitch.Tv Adobe

Seen These or have been there
Teach.Vegas Heard about this @ NameCon last yr
Escape.Ninga Heard about this via friend
724.Host @HostingCon LA
Freedom.Press SanFrancisco
Ta.co Seen it advertised but re directs to .com
I've also seen .biz/.co /.ai /.io driving around
BhMedia.co Thru NewCo.co SanFranCisco
Ginger.io Thru NewCo.co SanFranCisco
Kite.io Thru NewCo.co SanFranCisco
AltaMotors.co Electric Motorcycles Bay Area
Cheers

•••
This is last weeks: 1/57

"The new gTLDs lost a bit of ground compared to Q2 as they went from a 2.3% to a 2.1% slice."

So newly funded startups, with the world of new extensions to choose from, don't choose new glds that often, single digits.
That often Yet:)

•••
Yes
WHD.Global Domain/Hosting Events
Go.Global Registrar
PayPal.me Obvious
ABC.xyz Investor info
Facebook.Design Design Resources
Coffee.Club Obvious
BrewMasters. Club
Twitch.Tv Adobe

Seen These or have been there
Teach.Vegas Heard about this @ NameCon last yr
Escape.Ninga Heard about this via friend
724.Host @HostingCon LA
Freedom.Press SanFrancisco
Ta.co Seen it advertised but re directs to .com
I've also seen .biz/.co /.ai /.io driving around
BhMedia.co Thru NewCo.co SanFranCisco
Ginger.io Thru NewCo.co SanFranCisco
Kite.io Thru NewCo.co SanFranCisco
AltaMotors.co Electric Motorcycles Bay Area
Cheers

So you mixed in 8 that aren't even new gtlds. And above about not .com, mixing in country codes and other extensions that are not new gtlds.

That often Yet:)

Next year we'll be going into year 4. Those new gtlds are there for those newly funded startups to use, around 2%. Tell me how around 2% is a great number. About 98% of newly funded startups are choosing something other than a new gtld, using DNGeek as a source. If somebody has other sources that go thru the startups and what they use, please post.

Last edited:
•••
Wow three years after new tlds were launched and they have a rocking 2 percent startup market share. How many hundreds of new extensions have been launched over that time? So that means the average new extension holds a ??? Market share?

•••
Wow three years after new tlds were launched and they have a rocking 2 percent startup market share.

How many startups used .COM 30 years ago, by 2nd anniversary?

Who knew it? Who cared about it?

•••

Seriously? Can you tell everybody how somebody was supposed to use a .com when there were no sites back then, no browsers?

Maybe the new gtld fans that keep bringing this up, for once, learn the history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_web_browser

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable_websites_founded_before_1995

These new gtlds are available for these startups now. Hundreds of them. They can choose them. They usually choose something else, usually a .com.

Last edited:
•••
Seriously?

% of startups?

Can you tell everybody how somebody was supposed to use a .com when there were no sites back then, no browsers?

Theoretically, use The Time machine and give them all of this (sites, browsers) in 1987.

Will HELP .COM? NO!

What will HELP? TIME! + KNOWLEDGE + TECHNOLOGY .... + MASS MEDIA

•••
Who knew 40 years ago what sex.life means?

Most of the people!

Who knew 40 years ago what sex.com means?

Nobody!

What helped?

Time! + Knowledge + Technolody ... + Mass Media

•••
Who knew 40 years ago what sex.life means?

Most of the people!

Who knew 40 years ago what sex.com means?

Nobody!

What helped?

Time! + Knowledge + Technolody ... + Mass Media

But......... the new gtlds are there now. They are there when they go to register. About 98% don't. Sorry. So what are you saying exactly? Maybe wait a few more years, maybe it'll get up to 3 or 4% ? What do you see how many years, what percentage do you see newly funded startups going for these?

If anything, you found out today that not many startups were using .com in 1986, when the first website wasn't until 1991. So the day wasn't a loss.

Last edited:
•••
In Q1 of 2016, 1.3% of funded startups used a ngtld domain
In Q2 of 2016, 2.3% of funded startups used a ngtld domain
In Q3 of 2016, 2.1% of funded startups used a ngtld domain

LOL One source. That's not research in my book. Sorry I wouldn't hire you.

re-read my post I said "Something other than .com" not just New "G"s

Now, do you want to include all of the data or just enough in an attempt to discredit me ?

Happy Hunting

•••
But......... the new gtlds are there now. They are there when they go to register. About 98% don't. Sorry. So what are you saying exactly? Maybe wait a few more years, maybe it'll get up to 3 or 4% ? What do you see how many years, what percentage do you see newly funded startups going for these?

If anything, you found out today that not many startups were using .com in 1986, when the first website wasn't until 1991. So the day wasn't a loss.

Why you skipped previous post?

•••

about 95% as there weren't many other extensions out other than .net, kind of a stupid remark you made.

It is not a simple Yes, No when it comes to .com's, or GTLD's, you need to see where the marketing dollars are going.

When you are watching TV late night, and see products marketed, what extension are they using? When you see Fortune 500 brands marketing, what extensions are they marketing with in tv, and print media.

Follow the money, not the dream that you came along in 2016 and struck gold. in 2016 you are paying the registries $100-1000 for the right to register their domains. As compared to a grandfathered .com at $8. That $8 renewal allows the .com to trade at a premium based on the keyword makeup. ADVANTAGE DOMAIN OWNER

When it comes to GTLD's the annual renewal is the premium, hence limiting the upside of the keyword makeup as already being priced into the renewal. ADVANTAGE REGISTRY

Last edited:
•••
Why you skipped previous post?

"Who knew 40 years ago what sex.com means?"

The one where you're talking about 40 years ago? Didn't know how to respond to some insane ranting. 1976?

You do also know most of these aren't generic like .com and just niche extensions?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back