IT.COM

The future of .COM after new gTLDs boom! Big DROP?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

New.Life

THE.COMPANYEstablished Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like.digital WoW one of the best
If it happened again would you go for it?

I don't regret.
I already got one very nice "1 letter" domain, and it better than "x.digital" but little more expencive.
I can't tell the domain name right now, for some commercial reasons.
Probably in one year. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
My first test - I feel uncomfortable typing nolonger.in into the browser. Somehow it feels as if I should type " no longer in", or nolongerin. :)

•••
So 450 or so new gtlds out, 42% of the regs by .xyz and .top, one with a 3 million+ jump in regs because of penny promotion. Not sure how the smaller ones can sustain numbers, at least the ones held by domainers. Can't imagine them getting many offers. And then 44% is China, 27% unknown, United States just 2.7 million regs plus whatever is in the Unknown - https://ntldstats.com/country

How do people feel about 2.7 million plus whatever is in the Unknown for 450 of so new gtlds for United States? Good numbers? .us has 2.2 million alone

Besides .web, which ones are people still looking forward to coming out? Which one can do some numbers? .app?

https://ntldstats.com/tld

Last edited:
•••
I was going to say .gold, but I see that Donuts ( what terrible spelling ) introduced it last year. I haven't heard any mention of it though.

•••
So 450 or so new gtlds out, 42% of the regs by .xyz and .top, one with a 3 million+ jump in regs because of penny promotion. Not sure how the smaller ones can sustain numbers, at least the ones held by domainers. Can't imagine them getting many offers. And then 44% is China, 27% unknown, United States just 2.7 million regs plus whatever is in the Unknown - https://ntldstats.com/country

How do people feel about 2.7 million plus whatever is in the Unknown for 450 of so new gtlds for United States? Good numbers? .us has 2.2 million alone

Besides .web, which ones are people still looking forward to coming out? Which one can do some numbers? .app?

Wow can't believe you forgot to list the latest Spamhaus chart are you slipping? LOL :-P

•••

I think unknown is Whois privacy. Perhaps half of this could be from the US. Maybe less. So we have perhaps another 3.5 million from the US (optimistic)

Perhaps 6 million from the US total. In the target market. I don't find that too impressive for mostly English language TLDs. Without China it would look like a fail.

With most of them being owned by Chinese which often do not speak English prospects seems questionable for a lot of these regs. What are they going to do with an English language TLD?

.app is good but since .blog is not doing well I won't expect many regs from them either.

Perhaps .web will be successful.

•••
I think unknown is Whois privacy. Perhaps half of this could be from the US. Maybe less. So we have perhaps another 3.5 million from the US (optimistic)

Perhaps 6 million from the US total. In the target market. I don't find that too impressive for mostly English language TLDs. Without China it would look like a fail.

With most of them being owned by Chinese which often do not speak English prospects seems questionable for a lot of these regs. What are they going to do with an English language TLD?

.app is good but since .blog is not doing well I won't expect many regs from them either.

Perhaps .web will be successful.
After paying out $123M or so, why would .web release any quality names for domainers to resell. They are going to be their own direct sales channel, but you will be welcome to register their crap.

•••
After paying out $123M or so, why would .web release any quality names for domainers to resell. They are going to be their own direct sales channel, but you will be welcome to register their crap.

you will be welcome to donate your funds while they focus on making money ;)

•••

We can agree on that, seems to be the norm moving forward...

Last edited:
•••
•••
http://dnpric.es/?q=luxury+estate

Carefully read the first three entries in the list.

one single example speaks for all sales? It's getting brainless now. Are you even interested in reality anymore?

How does this even remotely make sense. Sales are all over the place and don't always follow rules. A lot depends on timing, the buyer, the current situation of the buyer, the sales venue etc.

Auto.loan was sold for 40k recently. If that had been the .com we would be talking about a sale deep into 6 figures or even low 7 figures would not impossible.

Of course such examples are NOT mentioned because they destroy all illusions pretty quickly.

word.word exact match is not worth as much a wordword.com

It does not matter how many examples you pick(while ignoring the majority of transactions)

Last edited:
•••
New tlds launch is biggest domain affaire ever.

•••
Renewal rates can and will make a difference for someone holding on to a large inventory . That being said , small- mid size ant large companies alike ; depending on their business model ,volume and profitably can certainly budget 1200 a year a renewals . Yes , I also admit I don't have a masters ; although I have had several work for me through the years . My brick and motar buisness is relatively small for our industry and we spend 60k a month on marketing. So if someone had name that could potentially impact our marketing even if it's used to measure the success of other medias 1200 a year is negligible.

On a side note ; as some have stated most of us that have speculated heavy in the new gtlds don't come on here or other forums to defend our strategy every day. I have shared over 100k of reported gTLD sales with dnjournal just so others can see there is some traction taking place. As others have stated there is no need for me to talk others into competing with me on the drops and or eap releases. There are many non reported sales happening every day.

.com is great but it's not the only choice . As a market continues to evolve we can see shifts in demand for every product/ service . Nothing is a known fact until it has happened . Ford at one time had almost 100 percent market share . Now the market has grown and fragmented , brands like Toyota were at one time considered cheap inferior products but still an alternitive to the big 3 , well as history has shown , things can change .. What was considered inferior not only stole market share but eventually fought its way to a very large part of the total market and is considered a quality product .

At one time Woolworth Corp was very successful , Kmart the same , Sears ... MySpace ... Aol... And on and on .. Consumer demand can change , so anyone that says unilateral comments like gtlds are dead , have no use , purpose please keep saying it. This will help,the people that want to speculate in this area have less competition.

Last edited:
•••
so anyone that says unilateral comments like gtlds are dead ,

I don't visit websites with nGTLDs, for me(and for many other consumers) they are dead. Even zombies can sell. I don't doubt this. Schilling made a small fortune flipping .xxx domains a few years ago.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
It's a hack. And it's easier to use than Whois.net and shorter and makes perfect sense

•••
I don't visit websites with nGTLDs, for me(and for many other consumers) they are dead. Even zombies can sell. I don't doubt this. Schilling made a small fortune flipping .xxx domains a few years ago.
Well the interesting question is - How much are the buyers making with those names? and the other one is - did he sell too soon? :)

•••
It's a hack. And it's easier to use than Whois.net and shorter and makes perfect sense

I visit either gwhois.org (very good) or whois.com (not so good but habit, lazy, easy )

I am not paying much attention to hacks. I don't think I use them much. Not sure if they matter.

How much are the buyers making with those names? and the other one is - did he sell too soon?

1)My guess is, it was a waste of money.
2) Of course not. Take the money and run.

•••
People can invest in gold silver or scrap iron... And in every case can attain a good return if they know the market. Some can invest thousands per share in a stock like Berkshire Hathaway or they can opt for an investment in penny stocks . One is obviously unproven and many times more risky , but there is a market for those speculators and in some cases the investment far exceeds the risk.

Gold is at about 1200 an oz silver at around 17 an oz if anyone can tell me today where a 50k investment in either will pay off better with 100 percent certainty I invite you to share. My point is I don't know and I don't believe anyone else knows for certain either. Same goes with any speculative investment .com or .whatevr included

•••
People can invest in gold silver or scrap iron... And in every case can attain a good return if they know the market. Some can invest thousands per share in a stock like Berkshire Hathaway or they can opt for an investment in penny stocks . One is obviously unproven and many times more risky , but there is a market for those speculators and in some cases the investment far exceeds the risk.

Gold is at about 1200 an oz silver at around 17 an oz if anyone can tell me today where a 50k investment in either will pay off better with 100 percent certainty I invite you to share. My point is I don't know and I don't believe anyone else knows for certain either. Same goes with any speculative investment .com or .whatevr included

agree with that. In domains any long-term or even short-term investment is risky in every extension.

If someone offers you silver claiming it will soon be worth more than gold I would be skeptical though.

•••
Not worth more , but it is possible to make more and for me that's the key to earn more of a return if possible ., yes gold will most likely never be "worth" less than silver .. Although in history we have seen things that were more valuable than others and it flip flopped ..

•••
agree with that. In domains any long-term or even short-term investment is risky in every extension.

If someone offers you silver claiming it will soon be worth more than gold I would be skeptical though.
The historic price differential seems to indicate that silver is likely to increase far more than gold. Gold is an artificial manipulated market, and this is why it is difficult to project future values, unless you are a member of the elite.

Copper is the understated alternative, and I belive that it may become a safe-haven metal at some stage in the future. It was once worth more than gold. :)

•••
Everyone commented on the .online but I ask what looks better and makes more sense wn.media or wnmedia.com ?? It's kind of a no brainier cleaner shorter .. This is an instance where the gtld could sell for more than the .com

•••
Not worth more , but it is possible to make more and for me that's the key to earn more of a return if possible ., yes gold will most likely never be "worth" less than silver .. Although in history we have seen things that were more valuable than others and it flip flopped ..

I don't doubt at all that you can have a high ROI with nGTLDs and I am sure some will do well, if they can buy the right keywords, cheap.

What I don't believe at all that they will be more valuable than traditional domains or make up the bulk of the market or websites.

I don't think that cleaner, shorter matters that much.

I think the visual aspect is only one factor. I think that .co domains tend to look at least as good as .com or in some cases even better but they don't sell that well, probably never will.

.cc also is attractive visually, it is short you have to type only 2 repeating letters, it starts with the same letter as .com etc.

.us is kind of perfect for US businesses. It is short, it says everything, you can't forget it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back