IT.COM

discuss The Environmental Thread - Earth Matters, so what's holding us back?

NameSilo
Watch

Are you concerned about Climate Change?

• 1st

Yes

votes
    80.0%
  • 2nd

No

vote
    20.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

Undecided

votes
    0.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

We have bigger problems

votes
    0.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

God will save us

votes
    0.0%

• 5 votes
  • Ended 3 years ago
  • Final results

Cannuck

420 friendlyTop Member
Impact
I believe everyone would agree on at least one point - planet Earth matters! For years, scholars and environmentalists have touted the idea - that the boundaries of life on our planet have been stretched to a breaking point by human activity. From a scientific perspective, the notion of climate change is no longer up for debate. Our species and life as it exists on planet Earth now depends on the choices we humans make. Each individual with a brain possesses the ability to contribute solutions to our common current dilemma, so what's holding us back?

Is it our lack of knowledge; a conflict of interest; the lack of will, and/or other priorities that define the human race? Do we possess the courage to take an initiative, to act upon our convictions and choose to help preserve the Blue planet? Have our environmental problems become too big for individuals to tackle that we must leave it for governments to handle?

Are we limited by our own self-interests, by the confines of our own box or bubble? Have we merely been caught up in our daily mundane existence, distracted by the media and current affairs, that we fail to consider the future? Is Climate Change simply a hoax? Is the human species destined to evolve or are we doomed to extinction?

Here is place to discuss any pertinent thoughts or ideas you may have on the subject. Every thought counts. Please be respectful.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And now a few words from Cannuck's hero:

•••
Venus is 67 million miles from the Sun.
The Earth is 93 million miles from the Sun.

Distance from the Sun is not the only factor. Mercury's elliptical orbit is between 29-43 million miles from the Sun, yet the temperature of the surface is cooler than that of Venus. The atmosphere is too thin to retain heat or to shield it from the Sun. For example, the side facing the Sun can reach 800 degrees Farenheit (430 degrees Celcius), whereas the dark side plunges to -280 degrees Farenheit (-173 degrees Celcius).

Are you seriously blaming the temperature on Venus on climate change?

Do you know the boiling point of water? Answer: 212 degrees Farenheit (100 degrees Celcius)

With Venus' extreme surface temperatures (880 degrees Farenheit/471 degrees Celcius) water cannot be present, as any water vapour is instantly evaporated. By contrast, the existence of ice on Mercury has been confirmed.

I do not know at what time Venus' climate changed. I don't mind answering questions, but seriously, my patience with denialists is wearing thinner than Mercury's atmosphere. :xf.wink:

I've presented scientific data and research to support Climate Change. How about you do some research of your own (and not just from Rumble) or better yet, get a degree in Earth Science from a reputable university. Then, when you have a logical argument, present it. I'm always open to new ideas.

•••
And now a few words from Cannuck's hero:

@dna, you neither possess the knowledge, nor the wisdom, to engage in rational discourse... just as many of your tribe do not.

"If they do not have eyes to see, it is very difficult to show them. If they do not have ears to hear, it is very difficult to speak with them." -Hopi Prophecy

From the Bible...

"Having eyes, do you not see? And having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember?" - Mark 8:18

"Hear this, O foolish and senseless people, who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear." - Jeremiah 5:21

"Son of man, you are living in a rebellious house. They have eyes to see but do not see, and ears to hear but do not hear, for they are a rebellious house."
-Ezekiel 12:2

Last edited:
•••
"If they do not have eyes to see, it is very difficult to show them. If they do not have ears to hear, it is very difficult to speak with them." -Hopi Prophecy

I can it see with my own eyes... this in my backyard, right now. 🔥

oXR2KWn.jpeg

at night...

7wz8ht8.jpeg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/06/10/canadian-wildfire-smoke-pyrocene/

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've never quoted Greta, but she was right...
I am so jealous that you can call upon the wide experience, great learning,
and wisdom of young school girls. I only have Nobel Prize winning scientists in my corner.

•••
I am so jealous that you can call upon the wide experience, great learning,
and wisdom of young school girls. I only have Nobel Prize winning scientists in my corner.

Who, Kary Mullis? I suppose you believe in talking flourescent racoons? :xf.laugh::ROFL:

He is the poster child for not assuming a Nobel Prize is a qualification for anything.

•••
Who, Kary Mullis? I suppose you believe in talking flourescent racoons?

I see that your knowledge of chemistry is about the same as your
knowledge of the environment. What do you think it is that creates radon in homes?
Only a worm would smear a great scientist who gave mankind so much.

•••
I see that your knowledge of chemistry is about the same as your
knowledge of the environment.

Herein lies the root of the problem, you don't see or refuse to do so. 🫣

Twelve years before Mullis apparently invented the PCR test, Dr. Gobind Khorana’s team that essentially laid the foundation for PCR. At the time Mullis still tripping on LSD. Don't believe me? Do your own research.

What do you think it is that creates radon in homes?

He also said, "We shouldn't believe things we can't see". Can you see radon? If you can't see things, do they still exist? It's kind of like the talking flourescent racoon. I've never seen one, nor have I ever heard of them before Mullis informed the world of their existence. Does that mean they don't exist? :unsure:

Only a worm would smear a great scientist who gave mankind so much.

Worms play a vital role in the environment. They modify the physical, chemical and biological properties of soil. In ecosystems, they recycle tons of organic matter each year, unlocking nutrients for plants to grow. Only a moron would smear worms, they who have given so much to mankind (far more than Kary Mullis) :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••

The Environmental Thread - Earth Matters, so what's holding us back?​

Answer: FOOLS. :wacky:

196 nations signed the Paris Climate Agreement, including the US. Then Trump came along and pulled the US out of the Accord. On his first day in office, president Biden pledged USA back into the agreement.

@dna, what are your credentials? I do not suffer fools gladly, for I did not graduate from Trump University. :xf.wink:

•••
I only have Nobel Prize winning scientists in my corner.

Scientists - plural. Who are these Nobel scientists of whom you speak?

Nobel Prize in Physics Awarded to Scientists Who Warned the World of Climate Change​

Together, the pioneering work of Manabe, Hasselmann and Parisi untangled the mysteries of the natural world's smallest components in our atmosphere to help us better understand large and complex physical systems. Their discoveries provide the foundation for current climate models that help predict the major warming and weather events, which scientists expect will intensify in the coming years.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nobel-prize-in-physics-awarded-to-scientists-who-warned-the-world-of-climate-change

“The climate scientists of today stand on the shoulders of these giants, who laid the foundations for our understanding of the climate system. It is important to understand that climate science is built on basic foundations of physics." - Ko Barrett, senior adviser for climate at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

He is the poster child for not assuming a Nobel Prize is a qualification for anything.

Another Nobel leaureate in Physics, Dr. Ivar Giaever, resigned from the APS in protest. He had been a staunch skeptic of anthropogenic global warming for years, yet never worked in the field of climatology.

•••
What do you think it is that creates radon in homes?

A classic example of what we can't see, smell or taste that can hurt us.

Fumes from vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide which also has no smell, taste, or colour. Carbon monoxide is one of the most dangerous gases. Hitler used CO in the Nazi death camps. A concentration of just 1.28% can cause death in less than 3 minutes if in an enclosed space. The exhaust fumes are released into the atmosphere when we drive and are diluted. Our planet is an enclosed ecosphere and there are approximately 1.5 billion ICE vehicles on the road today.

•••
•••
•••

The long distance harm to health caused by wildfires

p08p8l2x.webp

Wildfires tend to produce large quantities of finer particulates known as PM2.5 and even finer nanoparticles, which are known to be particularly harmful to human health. This is largely because the tiny particles – which are more 30 times smaller than the width of a human hair and so too small to see – can penetrate the lung membranes when breathed in, damaging the respiratory system and passing into the blood stream.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200821-how-wildfire-pollution-may-be-harming-your-health

“The warmer we get, the more fire we get. The more fire we get, the more greenhouse gas emissions we get, which feeds the warming and this keeps on going until something changes.”

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Check the air quality index.
I never checked it until the day it all went black… It should be back in the 50 range
IMG_5088.jpeg

Last edited:
•••

Why investors pumped $100 million into a startup using microbial fungi to turn soil into a crucial tool in the fight against climate change​

• Soil is a huge carbon sink, but intensive agriculture has degraded its ability to store emissions.
  • The startup Loam Bio wants to use fungi to boost soil health and help keep carbon in the ground.
  • The fungi could help fight the climate crisis, but scientists have questioned its scalability.
  • This article is part of "Gains in Green Tech," a series showcasing some of the most transformative solutions to the climate crisis. For more climate-action news, visit Insider's One Planet hub.

There is too much carbon in the atmosphere and not enough beneath our feet.

Soil forms the basis of food security, holding water and playing host to vast amounts of biodiversity. It also stores an enormous amount of carbon dioxide — a crucial element of healthy land that helps hold the nutrients and water needed for plant growth.

But soil carbon is in a sorry state, in part due to current agricultural practices. Soil degradation poses a major risk to food-supply lines, threatening to undermine crop and plant quality.

Loam Bio, a biotech startup, has set out to slow down the rapid advance of climate change while dramatically improving soil health at the same time. The Australian company, founded in 2019, has created a microbial fungi-seed coating to enhance agricultural crops' ability to store carbon in soil.

"It kind of blows my mind that there's so much we don't know about this incredible group of organisms," Guy Hudson, the CEO and a cofounder of Loam Bio, told Insider.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/new...1&cvid=a5d6fdf9f8824856baf579537c58f6bb&ei=32

•••
There is too much carbon in the atmosphere and not enough beneath our feet.

Before we destroy the 0.04% of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
which would kill all plant life on earth, and as a result would kill all
animal and human life on earth, shouldn't we wait to see if our senile president
starts a nuclear war with Russia. Maybe Joe Biden will do the job of destroying
humanity for you.

•••
Before we destroy the 0.04% of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
which would kill all plant life on earth, and as a result would kill all
animal and human life on earth, shouldn't we wait to see if our senile president
starts a nuclear war with Russia. Maybe Joe Biden will do the job of destroying
humanity for you.

As Cannuck already told you:

@dna, you neither possess the knowledge, nor the wisdom, to engage in rational discourse...

For myself, your attempts at trying to come across as intelligent and clever are at best boring.

•••
For myself, your attempts at trying to come across as intelligent and clever are at best boring.
You can rest assured that no one will ever accuse you of trying to come across as intelligent or clever.

•••
•••
There is a good chance that the month of July will see the highest global temperatures for 120,000 years
1689531479615.png

*A man stands in a road near flames ifrom a wildfire in Moreno Valley in Riverside County, California, on 14 July. Photograph: David Swanson/AFP/Getty Images

Red weather alerts have been issued across Europe; wildfires are raging in Croatia, on the Adriatic coast, and in Navarra in Spain; while tourist targets such as the Acropolis have been closed as temperatures have soared into the forties.

The Earth has not experienced anything like it since instrumental measures of air temperatures began in the 1850s, the World Meteorological Organisation revealed last week. “We are in uncharted territory and that is worrying news for the planet,” said Prof Christopher Hewitt, the WMO’s director of climate services.

This point was backed by Karsten Haustein, a research fellow in atmospheric radiation at Leipzig University. “The chances are that the month of July will be the hottest month ever … ‘ever’ meaning since the Eemian [interglacial period], which is some 120,000 years ago.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...DqTHyu3DI96hVZPh_w-0hKqNZUMJzcE90BlwbxaWRWxpU

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back