IT.COM

debate The domain name industry is large because most people drawn to it are so stupid.

NameSilo
Watch

Super-Annuation

#Top Member
Impact
I've looked at the domain droplists. Many sheets.

I've looked at the domain name sales data.

Frankly, 99% of domain activity is embarassing and cause and effect from destitute scrubs.

Think about this for a second. A human being with a brain genuinely believes they can sell a domain name like 1Coin.xyz for $5,000.

Stupid. Plain and simple. Dumb. Process of natural selection will likely get the better of people like this.

Now look at this garbage on tonight at GoDaddy: 35533.com.
Live and ongoing auction. Current bid at $11,000, 34 bids etc...

That's a lot of stupid people because this name has zero value. Disagree? Tell me how anyone can successfully use this domain, and justify the price of 11k.

How about this not even a little bit half decent name: RecoverData.com. Pfffft... What were 295 people thinking when they considered this rubbish tonight? It's on the top of the high bid list.

I'm being serious. There is no industry with a collective average IQ below the domain name industry. Go to any registrar and look at the top 10 names for exhibit A.

Okay

How do you stop people from thinking names like "TreeCentral.com" have value?

Or how do you buy a quality aged domain that's had several owners meaning it's likely the previous owner sales tactics could have hurt the value of the name?

Honestly, I don't think it is possible.

Not ever.

I think the industry will be full of dead beat loser cavemen thinking they've discovered fire.

That's why I have been fiercely liquidating. Almost done too.

So if you agree write it down and shed some light. If you disagree, I'll sell you a name with GoDaddy Appraisal at $10,000 for only 10%.

Sarcasm. Sorry, I know I had to elaborate...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Look through domains and extensions sold in domain history and then see if you question what end user was thinking. Wonder how good sales person was to get the price. End user is not a domainer but if domainers see patterns with keywords and extensions or find the existing backlinks or other sistuations which give it a demand. Eg someone has all signage done and expired. If everyone was stupid you could always auction a domain for more then you pay but sometimes you just have to drop them. I feel stupid offering my thoughts.

FIGJAM

Last edited:
•••
you're right about 35533.com but wrong about RecoverData.com. there is definitely a phenomenon where many domainers will pay 50x more to an auction house than to another domainer, due to fomo/competitiveness or whatever. pretty silly imo, I much prefer the opposite and don't view it as a competition - rather an industry to learn and build.

you seem pretty emotional and probably view your names in a shining light without being objective about the real value, another big issue in domaining. people overrate their own names, trash others names, and get annoyed when they can't liquidate them. don't be bitter, do better
He is not right about 35533.com because it shows he lacks the understanding about the numerical domain industry which is a favorite for the Chinese domain industry.

How you and he does not know that Chinese are the ones interested in such domain should tell anyone that you do not know much about the domain industry on larger view.

•••
I can feel you dude. But calling stupid i think that includes you will add insult to an injury. Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, P&G and other companies with multiple domains on their portfolio are also you called "stupid" whether they like it or not they are all domainers like us, though they have great names with them. Actually domainers are clever and knowledgeable individuals. How the hell they sell this for 1Coin.xyz for $5,000? or over?

•••
I tried selling my best domains in a bundle for $350 last month because I going into other ventures. One of the domains with a $2.3K+ GoDaddy appraisal. Nobody wanted to purchase my names and on NamePros everybody wants a cheap deal.

Why bother with domain names when I get CASHFLOW of 20% in the stock market. You must be pretty gullible if you invest your millions in domain names instead of real estate or stocks. Domain names aren't easily liquidated. Only if you own the best names. One word names and dotcom.

Sorry to hear that domain investing didn't work for you as you expected. Even though you don't hear much about it on this forum, many domainers on this forum also invest in other asset classes. Optimizing returns and spreading risks is always wise. This can be done within domaining, but also by spreading investments over different asset classes. Wish you good luck investing.

•••
Sorry to hear that domain investing didn't work for you as you expected. Even though you don't hear much about it on this forum, many domainers on this forum also invest in other asset classes. Optimizing returns and spreading risks is always wise. This can be done within domaining, but also by spreading investments over different asset classes. Wish you good luck investing.
Thank you and agree about diversification. :xf.smile:

•••
Thank you for clarifying. My problem is likely that I have too few names for sale right now. 10K names is a lot! :xf.smile:

It is a numbers game unless you have a solid budget to go after 5-6 figure names and/or you are willing to actively sell and have necessary salesman and marketing skills.

Btw, in 2014 I had couple of hundred names for my own use. In 2016 I still was considerably below 1000 .com names. I just have been doubling my portfolio every year. Hopefully, will hit 20 000 in 2022.

•••
Hi

spending 7 figures, to net 7 figures,
seems like spending $100 to net $100

and to me...the way it's described, seems like a breakeven scenario with a lot of outlay and overhead
and, if one is doing it "solo", then management of such a portfolio could get overwhelming.

but, i guess you know what you are doing

imo....

hmm... not sure how your math works. I am not "spending" 7 figures, renewals are basically the opex of the business. Since normally renewals are about 1/3 of my revenue, if I reach 7 figures in renewals, it means I have reached triple that in revenue and double of that in profit pre-tax.

And even if I had to invest low 7 figures to get there, it would be a great business, as the investment is one-time event, while the profit would be recurring annually.

•••
OP, most domainers not marketers not investors neither economists most people in industry have no degree they are just following to the money..they are thinking if the domain has bids its valuable. bidding wars on shilbidding auctions makes richer DropCatch and Godaddy but not these domainers...

•••
have no degree
Very true. Actually, current education system is seriously degraded, and it is a problem for younger generations... Which is probably the reason why there are regs (including auction bids!) like (made-up example, not to offend anybody) Kosher Pork dot something. Some folks tend to register domains using languages they do not understand, ending up with stupid domains. So, if a new domainer is a real pro in some field - he might try to start with domains exclusively from this field. He needs to start with something, and it would be a good start (professional domaining can not and should not be limited to any particular field though).

Last edited:
•••
The quicker you get out the better, it's mostly a waste of time

•••
As to the value of 5N domains, I'm very puzzled too. I research end users in China almost everyday but I rarely come across a Chinese company operating from a 5N or longer domain, yet they do sell -- and for good money. Up to 4N -- yes, they have definitely applications by end users.

This is the issue, you need to research and dont make too many assumptions about NNN, NNNN, NNNN, NNNNN, just because you dont like them or domainers and companies in Europe or the US dont like them doesnt mean they are not valuable. Companies in China like them and thats all that matters when it comes to finding an end-user and making a sale, so I wouldn't be calling people stupid just because you dont see value in the names. Do you think the owner of 35533.com just got lucky with people bidding up to 11K for this name??

Just a few NNNNN.com sales to companies and there are 100s more that are being used and developed, espeically in China.

88888.com 245,000 USD
17176.com 55,000 USD
10023.com 50,000 USD
22666.com 46,500 USD
83333.com 43,000 USD
88889.com 41,500 USD
99678.com 40,200 USD
60666.com 36,250 USD
70777.com 34,500 USD
33339.com 32,250 USD
According my research Chinese business prefer English words in domains and brand names
E. g. : https://www.leteatgo.com.hk/
IMG_20210504_130136.png

•••
RecoverData/com - decent name.
35533/com - has a pattern.
Nonetheless, always good to have divergent view, even if not popular. So you earn my "like".

•••
Last edited:
•••
Are you mad because you're market restricted or?

•••

Frankly, 99% of domain activity is embarassing and cause and effect from destitute scrubs.

Think about this for a second. A human being with a brain genuinely believes they can sell a domain name like 1Coin.xyz for $5,000.

Stupid. Plain and simple. Dumb. Process of natural selection will likely get the better of people like this.

That's a lot of stupid people because this name has zero value. Disagree? Tell me how anyone can successfully use this domain, and justify the price of 11k.

How about this not even a little bit half decent name: RecoverData.com. Pfffft... What were 295 people thinking when they considered this rubbish tonight? It's on the top of the high bid list.

I'm being serious. There is no industry with a collective average IQ below the domain name industry. Go to any registrar and look at the top 10 names for exhibit A.

Okay

Or how do you buy a quality aged domain that's had several owners meaning it's likely the previous owner sales tactics could have hurt the value of the name?

Not ever.

I think the industry will be full of dead beat loser cavemen thinking they've discovered fire.

So if you agree write it down and shed some light. If you disagree, I'll sell you a name with GoDaddy Appraisal at $10,000 for only 10%.

Essentially you are correct but your examples are flawed. Those domains have innate value, I dropped $10k+ on a godaddy auction recently myself and on 5N and two word .com, both solid categories.

Last edited:
•••
This is the issue, you need to research and dont make too many assumptions about NNN, NNNN, NNNN, NNNNN, just because you dont like them or domainers and companies in Europe or the US dont like them doesnt mean they are not valuable. Companies in China like them and thats all that matters when it comes to finding an end-user and making a sale, so I wouldn't be calling people stupid just because you dont see value in the names. Do you think the owner of 35533.com just got lucky with people bidding up to 11K for this name??

Just a few NNNNN.com sales to companies and there are 100s more that are being used and developed, espeically in China.

88888.com 245,000 USD
17176.com 55,000 USD
10023.com 50,000 USD
22666.com 46,500 USD
83333.com 43,000 USD
88889.com 41,500 USD
99678.com 40,200 USD
60666.com 36,250 USD
70777.com 34,500 USD
33339.com 32,250 USD

You first say RecoverData.com is not really a good name, then in the very next sentence you say "There is no industry with a collective average IQ below the domain name industry", the issue is not with the domain industry, its with new domainers who dont research and learn about domain value. Do you think those 295 people are all new domainers who dont understand domain value and want to buy RecoverData.com??

Totally agree

•••

Okay

Not ever.

I actually agree with much of your analysis, but I continue to stick around because of all the stupid people not despite them. It's because they buy into the domainer drivel that gives me hope for doing domains my way:xf.smile: Do you know the expression "if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen". I love the heat:xf.grin:

•••
If these beginner domainers and their unjustified pricing drive you mad, then how do you feel about Dogecoin? A "joke" cryptocurrency, that cost $0.0002 last year and is now worth $0.40. Market cap is $57 Billion. Not all people and all markets behave logically.

•••
Long long ago, one wise man said, we are who we are based on the set of choices we make.
It's true in life.
It's true in domaining.

You make good choice / good domain picks, you get good results.
You make poor choice / bad domain picks, the results are not that stellar

•••
Great example of starting up in domaining - as one should, slow and focused on results. It reminds me very well of how I started. Although I incurred some loss initially but it was a planned one (traded some cash for learning faster).

It doesn't matter that your highest sale is only 575. Most of my sales are still under that value, although I also sell some 4-figs here and there but not that frequently. As long as overall you make decent profit, that's all that matters.
thanks for your kind words.

i saw you post many sales.
May I know how long you have been started?

•••
thanks for your kind words.

i saw you post many sales.
May I know how long you have been started?

It's difficult to say exactly, cause I did a little domaining 15 years ago. But then I quit.

More correctly, 3 years ago. Going well.

•••
I can feel you dude. But calling stupid i think that includes you will add insult to an injury. Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, P&G and other companies with multiple domains on their portfolio are also you called "stupid" whether they like it or not they are all domainers like us, though they have great names with them. Actually domainers are clever and knowledgeable individuals. How the hell they sell this for 1Coin.xyz for $5,000? or over?

Stupid or Clever?:xf.grin:....after seeing your online name "The CEO" i was able to register;

TheCEO.xxxxxx
TheCPA.xxxxxx
ThePhD.xxxxxx

those three domains cost me $3, but stupid is in the eyes of the beholder:xf.wink:

•••
The domain name industry is large because most people drawn to it are so stupid.

Im sorry

Last edited:
•••
I tried selling my best domains in a bundle for $350 last month because I going into other ventures. One of the domains with a $2.3K+ GoDaddy appraisal. Nobody wanted to purchase my names and on NamePros everybody wants a cheap deal.

Why bother with domain names when I get CASHFLOW of 20% in the stock market. You must be pretty gullible if you invest your millions in domain names instead of real estate or stocks. Domain names aren't easily liquidated. Only if you own the best names. One word names and dotcom.

•••
Hi

10k names = about 100k a year in renewal fees, and that ain't chump change!

the most domains i owned at one time was about 2500 and that was pre-2010

now i'm down to about 250 names.

still, my str is 1% > 2% per year, which is similar to @Recons.Com
and roi per sale, typically exceeds 100% or higher.

you have to scale it, to what works for you, to keep balanced.

imo...

Yes. Getting to 6 figure renewals fast )) Hopefully, will get to 7 figure renewals in another 4 years ;) Because that will also mean 7 figure net after commissions and renewals and even acquisitions.

My principle in any business is prove up - learn and adjust - scale up - repeat... So doubling a year serves exactly that. 250 is what I have been buying almost every week lately, although need to slow down a bit )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back