Dynadot

discuss THE CONS OF .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WNC HOLDINGS

wnc.holdingsEstablished Member
Impact
For those who are fond of downvoting, proceed to doing so if you haven’t already. Yes, you read it correctly. We welcome your downvote. Most of what you read post this point will likely be considered unpopular by the “conventional domain investors” who subscribe to “.com tribalism”. With this stated, let’s get the -23 reputation score up to, or past, a record -100.

Now, there’s a simple question we’d like to pose:

WHAT ARE THE CONS OF THE .COM?

It’s apparent that many domain investors live by the “.com only” investment strategy. Whether this is by choice OR not having the courage/ability to endorse something new is what many don’t openly discuss. We’ve noticed that some investors act like a scorned ex when they hear about any extension other than their beloved .com. Some people might call it an obsession; while others might say it’s “normal”. We simply ask “why”?

Does the .com have any greater utility than any other extension? Last we checked, it doesn’t seem to offer too much beyond what other extensions offer. Does being a die-hard endorser of .com mean one can actually “own” the domains they rent at some point? Does “renting” a .com equate to being immune to online censorship? We’re NOT asking for a friend. We’re inquiring for those who’ve “thought it” but didn’t “ask it”.

We want your thoughts on what makes the .com so supreme. The broken record that is “top sales” and “web traffic” aren’t necessary here. Please forgo the “I also have .net, .org and some .xyz’s” counter. There are over 1000+ ICANN TLDs; and we’d like to know why YOU single out one and treat a few others like slot-filling sidekicks. It feels like the .com bubble is haunting the domain investment world. Maybe it’s just a dream though.

Share your thoughts below. Don’t be shy. Show your devotion to the .com and the downvote.

(Smiles)

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
we understand .com’s are still rented, can still be censored
Yes, they are rented for a small yearly fee. Because in case the registrant ends their business or simply doesn't want to use it anymore, then there will be a chance for other people to get it and use it.

And yes, they can still be censored because we live in a world of laws, where if you break the law, you can lose your domain.

I see that what you are rooting for is for those new extensions unreachable by normal browsers and "issued" by anyone. No rules, no renewals, no expirations, no laws. In brief, what you want is a "Wild Wild West" of domains.

The domain world has evolved since its inception to an ordered business, with laws, with renewals, for a reason.
It could have ended in your "Wild Wild West" world of "blockchain" domains, but instead it evolved to a world where domains work following laws and common sense.

What you are wishing is to live in the wild west where no law can censor a domain, where if you register "trademark.c" you will own it forever, because you know, there will be no censor and no domain expiration.

and don’t have any greater utility than their 1000+ ICANN TLD relatives.
I already answered to this. You just have to read my previous post, to know the difference between .com and their 1000+ ICANN TLD "relatives".

Greetings and keep (smiling)

Last edited:
•••
Is it just me or are these theses of the OP a bit weird?
What are the cons of .com's now in your opinion - please clarify.

@WNC HOLDINGS is it possible that @DOMAIN ILLUMINATI is part of your team?

That was a guy telling the world that .topistop [and com can not be top 'cos top is top].
I've seen that he is restricted so he surely came back as WNC.holdings .. it got to be true :-D

1656697995660.png

serious answer:

Big thanks at @Sutruk for his two posts. There is nothing more to say. Well presented and explained.
.com is king is not just a phrase - it is because of facts and statistics collected over decades.

Last edited:
•••
I was thinking same thing but I have know ib***** from here for years. His past posts are hidden👍, so its popcorn from heroin
I think this guy to smart to be .topper
Hope i am wrong

•••
Yes, they are rented for a small yearly fee. Because in case the registrant end their business or simply doesn't want to use it anymore, then there will be a chance for other people to get it and use it.

And yes, they can still be censored because because we live in a world of laws, where if you break the law, you can lose your domain.

I see that what you are rooting for is for those new extensions unreachable by normal browsers and "expedited" by anyone. No rules, no renewals, no expirations, no laws. In brief, what you want is a "Wild Wild West" of domains.

The domain world has evolved since its inception to a ordered business, with laws, with renewals, for a reason.
It could have ended in your "Wild Wild West" world of "blockchain" domains, but instead it evolved to a world where domains work following laws and common sense.

What you are wishing is to live in the wild west where no law can censor a domain, where if you register "adidas.c" (or whatever trademark) you will own it forever, because you know, there will be no censor and no domain expiration.

I already answered to this. You just have to read my previous post, to know the difference between .com and their 1000+ ICANN TLD "relatives".

Greetings and keep (smiling)

“Small yearly fee” is subjective. The impact of domain renewals extends far beyond a domain being made available to others in the case an original renter no longer “wants” it. What about the investors who fall on hard times or pass away? The assets they held, and added value to, benefit others in a manner they probably wouldn’t prefer. That’s another subject though.

As for your “Wild Wild West” assertion, the sheer number of centralized domains we’ve sold, brokered the sale for, hold and build-out runs contrary to your belief. We don’t solely support blockchain TLDs. We support ALL TLDs. Even .com. We believe all TLDs lend themselves to “identity and representation”. Having a bias means shunning the chosen identity of others.

We’ve made it very clear in other posts that we support a wholesome internet experience. We see a future where .com maintains its appeal; but not at the expense of other TLDs being deemed as “less by default”. If .com is so great, investors need to advocate for all other ICANN TLDs to be abolished since it’s the only worthy option in a sea of others.

There is another option though…...Pressing the downvote.

•••
[...] If .com is so great, [...]
There is no "if" - it is based of facts.
(ps: nobody said that other TLDs have no value - but the crown according to sales stats belongs to the king)

[...], investors need to advocate for all other ICANN TLDs to be abolished since it’s the only worthy option in a sea of others.
Isn't it more about what endusers want and less about what investors want?

•••
Is it just me or are these theses of the OP a bit weird?
What are the cons of .com's now in your opinion - please clarify.

@WNC HOLDINGS is it possible that @DOMAIN ILLUMINATI is part of your team?

That was a guy telling the world that .topistop [and com can not be top 'cos top is top].
I've seen that he is restricted so he surely came back as WNC.holdings .. it got to be true :-D

Show attachment 218858

serious answer:

Big thanks at @Sutruk for his two posts. There is nothing more to say. Well presented and explained.
.com is king is not just a phrase - it is because of facts and statistics collected over decades.

@Domainication,

Unless you’re revealing that is your alter-ego, we can emphatically say we have no knowledge of that person or account.

We’re sure @Sutruk values your support. We appreciate their viewpoint as well. Everyone has been decently engaging thus far.

Notice, we haven’t leveraged “.com bubble” and “.com crash” in our debate about why .com might be famous……or in some cases infamous.

We respect that “.com is king” to those who feel indebted to what it represents. We’ve rented-in; ourselves. We just forwent the tunnel-vision.

As a reminder, the downvote is below…

•••
There is no "if" - it is based of facts.
(ps: nobody said that other TLDs have no value - but the crown according to sales stats belongs to the king)

Isn't it more about what endusers want and less about what investors want?

“Stats” are an ENTIRELY different discussion. Especially in an era where data manipulation, special arrangements and promotion of sales can play a part in the “online success” narrative.

*Just to be clear, we’re NOT implying the sale of any particular domain was unethical or not as described. We’re sure many great sales exist.*

By the way, it’s “partially” about what the end user wants; because it starts with what the investor endorses. If investors force-feed the .com is king narrative, what are others to think?

Nevertheless, we “think” you should press the downvote as a show of loyalty to the king that is .com. We won’t mind it whatsoever.

•••
Nevertheless, we “think” you should press the downvote as a show of loyalty to the king that is .com. We won’t mind it whatsoever.
I still find it a curious strategy that you seem to want to collect as many downvotes as possible right after you enter this forum. What is the purpose of this mission? In any case, it greatly distracts from a potentially interesting debate that you could have had otherwise. Good luck with your battle.

•••
I still find it a curious strategy that you seem to want to collect as many downvotes as possible right after you enter this forum. What is the purpose of this mission? In any case, it greatly distracts from a potentially interesting debate that you could have had otherwise. Good luck with your battle.

It can only be considered a battle to those wielding weapons. We’ve arrived in “peace”. We’ve spoken “respectfully” to all. We’ve shared in “meaningful dialogue” with the intent of “positively” challenging investor truths. The downvote is exactly what it suggests….. “a vote”.

Press it should you feel compelled to do so. It’ll always be there.

•••
propaganda, inflammatory title; valiant try!
com has fewest cons compared to the rest.
It’s the undisputed #1; and any non-com just tells me; either too cheap; or in denial.

For a sec, thought were selling or asking for appraisal “The Cons of .com” Lol!

Last edited:
•••
propaganda, inflammatory title; valiant try!
com has fewest cons compared to the rest.
It’s the undisputed #1; and any non-com just tells me; either too cheap; or in denial.

For a sec, thought were selling or asking for appraisal “The Cons of .com” Lol!

“Fewest cons”? Please elaborate on what they are. Non-com’s say “too cheap”? Tell that to the registrars. “In denial” of what exactly? The fact you thought this post was asking for a .com appraisal suggests the .com might not add as much obvious value to a domain name as some believe. While you’re at it, feel free to double down on your view by tapping the thumbs down. There’s no propaganda in that. (Smiles)

•••
Who wouldn't trade their term in another extension for .com?

I definitely would never ever exchange my cctlds for the same terms in .com. I wouldn't mind trading my .coms for the ccTLD :)

Getting your point though ;)

.com is king, but just in some parts of the world. I was hoping op would address some valid points to debate, he's chosen to start trolling instead. Pitty and it shows his limited knowledge of domain investing. Or should I say their?

•••
I definitely would never ever exchange my cctlds for the same terms in .com. I wouldn't mind trading my .coms for the ccTLD :)

Getting your point though ;)

.com is king, but just in some parts of the world. I was hoping op would address some valid points to debate, he's chosen to start trolling instead. Pitty and it shows his limited knowledge of domain investing. Or should I say their?

“Limited knowledge” reads as an assessment by a “self-proclaimed mind-reader”. There’s only a limited knowledge of why so many .com investors have unwavering loyalty to the only TLD associated with a “bubble” AND a “crash”. Trolling? Not at all. That’s not possible when truth is the spine of the conversation. No need to pity us though. Your engagement has been more than enough. Feel free to top it off with a downvote.

•••
“Limited knowledge” reads as an assessment by a “self-proclaimed mind-reader”. There’s only a limited knowledge of why so many .com investors have unwavering loyalty to the only TLD associated with a “bubble” AND a “crash”. Trolling? Not at all. That’s not possible when truth is the spine of the conversation. No need to pity us though. Your engagement has been more than enough. Feel free to top it off with a downvote.

Please show me where I suggested I'm a mind-reader... And whose mind should I target? I dunno... How many of you are there?

If you are about the truth, the most money is in .com. there's great opportunity in other TLDs if you're smart. That's not debatable, that's a fact. Any successful domainer, no matter their tld of preference, will support that statement.

I only downvote the ethically and morally deranged so I'll pass on the invitation for now.

•••
Please show me where I suggested I'm a mind-reader... And whose mind should I target? I dunno... How many of you are there?

If you are about the truth, the most money is in .com. there's great opportunity in other TLDs if you're smart. That's not debatable, that's a fact. Any successful domainer, no matter their tld of preference, will support that statement.

I only downvote the ethically and morally deranged so I'll pass on the invitation for now.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion. We’ve definitely stated there’s money to made be renting .com’s. We’ve read that .com is king many times over; with “revenue prospects” and “familiarity based on age” being the sole debate points. Most responses have alluded to .com somehow being perfect. This isn’t true though.

Our initial question in this thread was meant to challenge investors to think beyond their biases and pinpoint some ways .com could be made better. We’re .com renters as well. We simply feel tribalism doesn’t justify relevance, rebuke of evolution and strained foresight. Investors have a duty to ensure .com becomes more.

.Com is very well the first “acknowledged” TLD of the internet era. There’s no doubting that. It’s also linked to a bubble and crash that a lot of veteran investors remember; but very seldom discuss. .Com was the unicorn of its time. Now it’s worth discussing the possibility of what it can be moving forward.

This is the point we were driving home.

P.S It’s good to know you don’t believe we’re ethically and morally deranged at the moment.

•••
…. people who just don’t get it… do you realize their are people out there that don’t even know their is other extensions besides .com? I was talking to someone the other day and I said it’s “domain”.shop and they were like .shop?

The internet has been here for a while however, I’d you’re not tech savvy or care about building websites/starting a business. You’re not going to care about learning the other extensions or even look them up.

Their is no cons it’s just the fact it’s the most popular extension and will always be the one to get.
I’ve had four website clients that don’t even know how to type a url into a browser. They literally typed their business name into the browser bar and wondered why it didn’t come up at the top of google the day after it was made!

If most of the public require that level of education, then I do worry.

My main business domain is a .net only because someone has the .com for sale and it’s too expensive! I have found some amazing 3 letter .org .net and .biz, that had been dropped, and a 1 letter in a ‘new’ domain, but the registrar wanted to charge over 1k just to purchase the org, net and biz and 3k for the new domain (they were dropped so registry set the price).

As domains become more difficult for small businesses to obtain due to price, then more will branch out to other extensions and the general public will get used to it.

I guess I have answered my own question. Thanks!

•••
I’ve had four website clients that don’t even know how to type a url into a browser. They literally typed their business name into the browser bar and wondered why it didn’t come up at the top of google the day after it was made!

If most of the public require that level of education, then I do worry.

My main business domain is a .net only because someone has the .com for sale and it’s too expensive! I have found some amazing 3 letter .org .net and .biz, that had been dropped, and a 1 letter in a ‘new’ domain, but the registrar wanted to charge over 1k just to purchase the org, net and biz and 3k for the new domain (they were dropped so registry set the price).

As domains become more difficult for small businesses to obtain due to price, then more will branch out to other extensions and the general public will get used to it.

I guess I have answered my own question. Thanks!

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. There’s a series of new naming dynamics that’ll be at the forefront of the domain investment AND namespace discussions soon. The .com is king attitude and premium pricing model is leading to scarcity possibly being the .com’s downfall. We’re predicting .com will need to justify its “rank” via a broader utility. Otherwise………

A key variable also worth considering is the fact domain accessibility will very well impact new populations that’ll be coming online in the near future. Especially if virtual world concepts gain traction and users rapidly. “Domain availability” will soon be the king that governs what TLDs are adopted versus others. It would be ideal for all domain investors to consider this possibility.

•••
Chris

As much as I agree with you on certain things, time will take care of things.

There are 2,000,000,000 sites online, about 1,000,000 words in the English dictionary that make sense ^ and with the growing variety of different industries, such as crypto, nfts, ai, and web3 - many of these companies are choosing names that are not .com ^ because the owner is nowhere to be seen or is asking an absurd amount of money ...

Take a look at bitcoin.org and ethereum.org or abc.xyz (Google) and shop.app (Shopify) or twitch.com which deliberately forwards to twitch.tv

At the end of the day, we are just investors, and the majority of us greatly underestimate the value of time

Even Verisign has planned for this given their secret $100M acquisition of .web despite telling all their investors to invest in only .com ...

As well as I gladly invite you to take a gander at this link >>> it’ll give you a better idea of how much $ is actually being invested into the future of the internet

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db

•••
Chris

As much as I agree with you on certain things, time will take care of things.

There are 2,000,000,000 sites online, about 1,000,000 words in the English dictionary that make sense ^ and with the growing variety of different industries, such as crypto, nfts, ai, and web3 - many of these companies are choosing names that are not .com ^ because the owner is nowhere to be seen or is asking an absurd amount of money ...

Take a look at bitcoin.org and ethereum.org or abc.xyz (Google) and shop.app (Shopify) or twitch.com which deliberately forwards to twitch.tv

At the end of the day, we are just investors, and the majority of us greatly underestimate the value of time

Even Verisign has planned for this given their secret $100M acquisition of .web despite telling all their investors to invest in only .com ...

As well as I gladly invite you to take a gander at this link >>> it’ll give you a better idea of how much $ is actually being invested into the future of the internet

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db

Thank you for taking time to share value. We’re definitely aware of a few different things happening on the TLD expansion front. We simply believe investors have a level of power, and influence, they don’t quite realize they possess. The next phase of TLD introductions will “dramatically” redefine how domains are registered, assigned and ultimately leveraged.

Tomorrow’s domain framework will be heavily influenced by different variations of culture, censorship, evolving utility and “security”. This is one reason blockchain domains are a source of discussion and contention. It’s fair to say there’s an infinite number of TLDs that can be created. This definitely addresses matters of availability. (Assuming each has equal utility.)

.Com has an influence. ICANN and VERISIGN govern it; but it’s the investors and end-users that played an integral role in shaping the culture and sentiment associated with having a .com. Our primary point has been there’s no way to know what the conditions for “renting” tomorrow’s domains will be. Who knows if there will be room for investing? (Speculative)

We totally agree with allowing the tide; but not at the expense of sacrificing the boat. Many investors have the ability to leverage their .com investments in a way that promotes a better internet experience and not a hierarchy. Especially with some of the foreseeable waters ahead. Investors look ahead and build based on the prospects. Now is the time to do just that.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, the majority of people don't know what .xyz is. I am addicted. I eat, sleep and secreet domains.
Always asking questions. Try and tell a 17 year old and a 70 year old why they need a domain name.
Didn't even know what a domain name was even though they were always visiting one when they hid from camera view. These were macdonalds employees. The domain was facebook.com
Anyways with the domination of google, and everyone knows what google is, right of the dot is not as important. Looking at link from above TY, this web space is so cluttered with .anything it's ridiculous really.
People are flogging eth.this and eth.that and they still have a few eth.NewG left.
Before was .com .net .org .countryCode
.net basically dead, org sites i rarely come across
And the prices people ask for .com and even .xyz like .wtf
Its the tweens and teens, they are learning the New G's They are the future and .com will be here long after you and i, well me anyways no doubt. Some of the New G's will be big. I saw the namebio sales for other day here.
I think around 390 and 310 were the king. Thats 20% piece of pie. It will grow as people's greed grows.
Remember what that verisign woman called us in her blog post
Just google travel.agency and what do you see? I see first hit is travel.agency and its a parked page
I couldn't find it last time i looked, and i looked because i read every post in that thread.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/travel-agency-what-will-it-sell-for.925626/

It really matters more what is left of the dot. Yes 6/10 weekly sales in dn journal were .com but there is a pile of money to be made in other extensions. Just not gonna light it up every week
https://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
@Alessandro Couteau 2 billion sites online? Then there is more than 2 billion domains registered?

-203 congratulations Chris Reputation is everything. Actually its Preception is Everything Ali said wasn't it?

•••
Another one has zero trader rating and never buy or sell a name and pretend to be an expert in a wrong way.

WNC stands for We Know COMs.

•••
Another one has zero trader rating and never buy or sell a name and pretend to be an expert in a wrong way.

WNC stands for We Know COMs.

“We Know COMs”? That would be “WKC”. We get your point though. (Smiles) Considering you’re an investor with a “trader rating”, you’re welcome to press the downvote.

•••
Yes, the majority of people don't know what .xyz is. I am addicted. I eat, sleep and secreet domains.
Always asking questions. Try and tell a 17 year old and a 70 year old why they need a domain name.
Didn't even know what a domain name was even though they were always visiting one when they hid from camera view. These were macdonalds employees. The domain was facebook.com
Anyways with the domination of google, and everyone knows what google is, right of the dot is not as important. Looking at link from above TY, this web space is so cluttered with .anything it's ridiculous really.
People are flogging eth.this and eth.that and they still have a few eth.NewG left.
Before was .com .net .org .countryCode
.net basically dead, org sites i rarely come across
And the prices people ask for .com and even .xyz like .wtf
Its the tweens and teens, they are learning the New G's They are the future and .com will be here long after you and i, well me anyways no doubt. Some of the New G's will be big. I saw the namebio sales for other day here.
I think around 390 and 310 were the king. Thats 20% piece of pie. It will grow as people's greed grows.
Remember what that verisign woman called us in her blog post
Just google travel.agency and what do you see? I see first hit is travel.agency and its a parked page
I couldn't find it last time i looked, and i looked because i read every post in that thread.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/travel-agency-what-will-it-sell-for.925626/

It really matters more what is left of the dot. Yes 6/10 weekly sales in dn journal were .com but there is a pile of money to be made in other extensions. Just not gonna light it up every week
https://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
@Alessandro Couteau 2 billion sites online? Then there is more than 2 billion domains registered?

-203 congratulations Chris Reputation is everything. Actually its Preception is Everything Ali said wasn't it?

Thank you for sharing. This was an insightful session. Hopefully everyone had a good time and took something meaningful away from the exchanges here in the thread. Everyone was respectful and engaging for the most part. Kudos! By the way, -203 may have been a single day record! (Smiles) Someone from Namepros would need to confirm it though.

Yes, reputation does matter. Perception matters as well. The downvote is exactly what it implies…….”a vote”. We simply leveraged it as such. Take care.

•••
Dot-com had a massive head-start. I wish I could say that was a con, for thread theme.

I'm surprised no one has looked at the other usage of con:

an instance of deceiving or tricking someone.
"a con artist"

Scratching below the surface separates the real from the rhetoric oftentimes, whether new investors or experienced ones.

I do agree investors play a role in pushing narratives that influence buying decisions. It's been problematic over the years when new narratives come into play that could threaten holdings that lie in the thousands or tens of thousands in the dot-com space, because who wants to weaken their own assets by supporting another?

This doesn't have to be an unfortunate thing, initially. It's an opportunity to get ahead of the curve. I'm not sure if there will ever be a general consensus. The best we can do is spout our stuff with whatever rationale we like to use to back it up.

My rationale is always largely based on the merits of a domain name in it's raw form, first, rather than binding it to bias. I could say this is a con to dot-com because it's allowed me a diversified approach on an otherwise single TLD-driven ferocity.

•••
Dot-com had a massive head-start. I wish I could say that was a con, for thread theme.

I'm surprised no one has looked at the other usage of con:

Scratching below the surface separates the real from the rhetoric oftentimes, whether new investors or experienced ones.

I do agree investors play a role in pushing narratives that influence buying decisions. It's been problematic over the years when new narratives come into play that could threaten holdings that lie in the thousands or tens of thousands in the dot-com space, because who wants to weaken their own assets by supporting another?

This doesn't have to be an unfortunate thing, initially. It's an opportunity to get ahead of the curve. I'm not sure if there will ever be a general consensus. The best we can do is spout our stuff with whatever rationale we like to use to back it up.

My rationale is always largely based on the merits of a domain name in it's raw form, first, rather than binding it to bias. I could say this is a con to dot-com because it's allowed me a diversified approach on an otherwise single TLD-driven ferocity.

Great points! We’re thankful you took the time to share. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. A bit more creativity, and innovation, will surely benefit investors at every level moving forward.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back