Dynadot

discuss THE CONS OF .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WNC HOLDINGS

wnc.holdingsEstablished Member
Impact
For those who are fond of downvoting, proceed to doing so if you haven’t already. Yes, you read it correctly. We welcome your downvote. Most of what you read post this point will likely be considered unpopular by the “conventional domain investors” who subscribe to “.com tribalism”. With this stated, let’s get the -23 reputation score up to, or past, a record -100.

Now, there’s a simple question we’d like to pose:

WHAT ARE THE CONS OF THE .COM?

It’s apparent that many domain investors live by the “.com only” investment strategy. Whether this is by choice OR not having the courage/ability to endorse something new is what many don’t openly discuss. We’ve noticed that some investors act like a scorned ex when they hear about any extension other than their beloved .com. Some people might call it an obsession; while others might say it’s “normal”. We simply ask “why”?

Does the .com have any greater utility than any other extension? Last we checked, it doesn’t seem to offer too much beyond what other extensions offer. Does being a die-hard endorser of .com mean one can actually “own” the domains they rent at some point? Does “renting” a .com equate to being immune to online censorship? We’re NOT asking for a friend. We’re inquiring for those who’ve “thought it” but didn’t “ask it”.

We want your thoughts on what makes the .com so supreme. The broken record that is “top sales” and “web traffic” aren’t necessary here. Please forgo the “I also have .net, .org and some .xyz’s” counter. There are over 1000+ ICANN TLDs; and we’d like to know why YOU single out one and treat a few others like slot-filling sidekicks. It feels like the .com bubble is haunting the domain investment world. Maybe it’s just a dream though.

Share your thoughts below. Don’t be shy. Show your devotion to the .com and the downvote.

(Smiles)

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Kind've irrelevant. We're looking at domains from an investment perspective. Shop.app is operated by a behemoth.

Is it irrelevant

How much would https://shop.com sell for if it were at a domain auction, $5M ? $10M ? $20M ?

How much would https://shop.app sell for if it were at a domain auction, $5000 ? $20,000 ? $500 ?

It is a direct manipulation of the market ^ on all fronts, clear as a day ^ it’s wrongfully educating endusers all in the promise of greed ...

~

This does not matter though, I have said what I’ve said, some understand this, some do not ^ and that is completely alright with me,

Invest in good names ^ it’ll pay off

•••
regardless of your stats, end user has to be a factor.

I’ll make it simple for you
, let’s do a poll….members get a choice please vote.
shop .com (thumb up/like vote)
or
Shop.app (downvote)

we can let the votes decide. I’ll start with a like for shop .com

I’m sorry but it’s a one sided coin if you plan to debate .com to new .extensions here ^ upvotes for .com will be 300 fold, because it’s what “has” and makes investors money

It’s like you selling wood beams, you don’t give two f@&$s about how many trees you cut down ^ only until it effects you, and you don’t care about other groves or forests around the world because ONE you believe there too be an abundant supply and you needn’t worry and TWO, the other forests haven’t made you money so why do you care ...

~

Last edited:
•••
regardless of your stats, end user has to be a factor.

I’ll make it simple for you
, let’s do a poll….members get a choice please vote.
shop .com (thumb up/like vote)
or
Shop.app (downvote)

we can let the votes decide. I’ll start with a like for shop .com
I think you've misunderstood which side I'm on.

•••
Is it irrelevant

How much would https://shop.com sell for if it were at a domain auction, $5M ? $10M ? $20M ?

How much would https://shop.app sell for if it were at a domain auction, $5000 ? $20,000 ? $500 ?

It is a direct manipulation of the market ^ on all fronts, clear as a day ^ it’s wrongfully educating endusers all in the promise of greed ...

~

This does not matter though, I have said what I’ve said, some understand this, some do not ^ and that is completely alright with me,

Invest in good names ^ it’ll pay off
I don't know what you're on about.

•••
•••
This thread is total waste of time on a nonexistent subject.

•••
•••
This thread is total waste of time on a nonexistent subject.

Nice of you to step in here John

Let me ask you something, because it’s a non existent subject in your book

How long have you been in the domain industry, 10 years ? 20 years ? Good ol magical 30 years ?

How many .com domains have you sold ?

How many GTLDs have you sold ?

If there was a common rationale of the purposes of the world wide web, do you really believe that your success would be driven by one .extension or is it the fact that those who manufactured this industry have rigged the games in their favor ^ because of the commercialized success of .com .com .com

•••
No, it's just not "market manipulation".

It’s not market manipulation,

Stop ...

Do you know SEDO

Yes you’re absolutely right, they are one of the worlds largest domain auction platforms online !

And so let me lay some wisdom on you,

If I own and submit the name wines.com to their Great Domains Auction ^ it will be accepted, no hesitation ^ I don’t need to own Verisign, I do not need to prove anything regarding a corporate partnership with Verisign or that I play golf with the president ...

If I own and submit the name wines.xyz to their Great Domains Auction, it will not be accepted, because I’m not Daniel Negari ...

I’m sorry, that’s ridiculous; that only registry owners for new .extensions can submit premium GTLD examples ^

It’s wrong ^ and yes given that SEDO is one of the largest auction houses in the world for domains, that is direct market manipulation ^

~

Here’s another example, try searching for something on there platform, type in any keyword ^ do the same with GoDaddy ... if you can’t see what’s going on, we do not need to be discussing the matter ...

It’s clear as day that investors and power houses in the domain industry are driving potential investors and endusers towards .com and .com (only)

Do you think it’s a coincidence !?

All .com results / a few GTLDs sprinkled / register names from our Registrar Partners / like https://wines.blog at $100K registration fee ^ gtfo ... You can register the same name on GoDaddy @ £28K pounds ^ another clear example of direct manipulation, and this deters “new” and “old” investors from investing their $ in fear that the Registrar is gonna bend them over and screw them over ...

So we have heavy duty investors bribing the registeries and registrars with large “contributions” and or “stock” and in turn, these handlers manipulate the market,

The majority of SEDOs Great Domain Auction is .com ^ all endusers see is .com / unless they decide to buy names themselves ...

Then they have a choice

~

In this case - Today the choice rests firmly upon, what can make the auction houses or registrars the most money “the day of” ... oddly enough, or not odd at all ... .com investors “ride” the storm, support it fully, and attempt to bury new GTLD investments or any idea that is a direct threat / because they believe the latter is a direct threat to their market share, similar to how banks fought with crypto-currency companies; until they just started buying them out ^ and you know the rest of the story ^

The pride and ignorance of domain investors is inescapable, it is the reason why our market share cannot even compete with some group selling digital pictures of apes and attaining a market share of $5,000,000,000 USD ... quite sad actually ^

If pro .com investors and GTLD investors worked together to promote and educate people on “good names” doesn’t matter the .extension / we would open our market share greatly and since .com was the first commercialized success, it would continue to grow ^ it already is @ a slower pace then necessary due to the pride and ignorance of domain investors as a whole.

Last edited:
•••
It’s not market manipulation,

Stop ...

Do you know SEDO

Yes you’re absolutely right, they are one of the worlds largest domain auction platforms online !

And so let me lay some wisdom on you,

If I own and submit the name wines.com to their Great Domains Auction ^ it will be accepted, no hesitation ^ I don’t need to own Verisign, I do not need to prove anything regarding a corporate partnership with Verisign or that I play golf with the president ...

If I own and submit the name wines.xyz to their Great Domains Auction, it will not be accepted, because I’m not Daniel Negari ...

I’m sorry that’s ridiculous that only registry owners for new .extensions can submit premium GTLD examples ^

It’s wrong ^ and yes given that SEDO is one of the largest auction houses in the world for domains, that is direct market manipulation ^

~

Here’s another example, try searching for something on there platform, type in any keyword ^ do the same with GoDaddy ... if you can’t see what’s going on, we do not need to be discussing the matter ...

It’s clear as day that investors and power houses in the domain industry are driving potential investors and endusers towards .com and .com (only)

Do you think it’s a coincidence !?

All .com results / a few GTLDs sprinkled / register names from our Registrar Partners / like https://wines.blog at $100K registration fee ^ gtfo ... You can register the same name on GoDaddy @ £28K pounds ^ another clear example of direct manipulation, and this deters “new” and “old” investors from investing their $ in fear that the Registrar is gonna bend them over and screw them over ...

So we have heavy duty investors bribing the registeries and registrars with large “contributions” and or “stock” and in turn, these handlers manipulate the market,

The majority of SEDOs Great Domain Auction is .com ^ all endusers see is .com / unless they decide to buy names themselves ... (then they have a choice)

~

In this case, the choice rests firmly upon, what can make me the most money ... oddly enough, or not odd at all ... .com investors ride the storm and attempt to bury new GTLD investments / because they believe the latter is a direct threat to their market share, similar to how banks use to fight with crypto-currency companies until they just started buying them out ^ and you know the rest of the story ^

The pride and ignorance of domain investors is inescapable, it is the reason why our market share cannot even compete with some group selling digital pictures of apes and attaining a market share of $5,000,000,000 USD ... quite sad actually ^

If pro .com investors and GTLD investors worked together to promote and educate people on “good names” doesn’t matter the .extension / we would open our market share greatly and since .com was the first commercialized success, it would continue to grow ^ it already is @ a slower pace then necessary due to the pride and ignorance of domain investors as a whole.
So you want bad domains to be accepted into great domains. That's not reality.

•••
•••
So you want bad domains to be accepted into great domains. That's not reality.

It can be any GTLD example,

https://poker.online

https://green.energy

https://mortgage.loans

https://bitcoin.xyz

https://sex.xxx
(Sold for $3,000,000)

If you do not own the registry for that .extension forget selling it at SEDOs Great Domains auction / they will reject it unless you can prove you own the registry - BUT if you own the .com / such as https://sex.com / you do not need to be apart of Verisign, you’ll be welcome with open arms ...

Last edited:
•••
Member uses this thread to constantly promote their own domains.

Listen get off your high horse.

Forget the name, and recognize the problem.

If you can’t see the problem then no offense, you shouldn’t be here.

•••
Member uses this thread to constantly promote their own domains.

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots (according to your title) - you're referring to artificial intelligence ^ yes ? Not sure where you came up with 78% / but feel free to message me directly in regards to that ...

Does AI choose over marketshare “naturally” or does it choose the most efficient answer ?

https://twitch.com

https://twitch.tv

https://twitchtv.com

^ which one is the AI gonna pick ?

Last edited:
•••
All bad names.
Does AI choose over marketshare “naturally” or does it choose the most efficient answer ?

https://twitch.com

https://twitch.tv

https://twitchtv.com

^ which one is the AI gonna pick ?
Again, used by behemoths. It's not the domain that you're using to derive value, it's the amount of effort put into the project.

•••
Okey forgot about others,
If I offered you two domains and asked one to choose , one is wnc.com , and other one is wnc.company , what will be your first option ,

There are some weird extensions ,
Like .dot , .sucks .wtf , if you find any practical use of the extensions , please tell us

@Tepnu,

Hello. It’s important to reiterate that we’re NOT anti-.com. We rent .coms like everyone else in this forum. Our stance is that .com has it’s ideal use-cases like every other TLD. Which TLD an individual/company “chooses” to leverage comes down to what they look to convey etc.

With regard to choosing between .com or .company (both of which we considered), here’s a look into our thought process:

WNC.com wasn’t distinctive enough for what we looked to convey. Not because of the .com though. It’s because of how it presents. WNC is an acronym; and we didn’t believe .com conveyed holding assets. Hence, our choosing .holdings.

If we looked to emphasize being a company, maybe “WNC.company” would’ve been the way to go. Both WNC.com and WNC.company are favorable domains. We simply don’t have a use for them. Someone else may though.

As for “practical” uses for .dot, .sucks and .wtf, it’s worth noting that practical for one person might not be practical to another . However, here are some considerations:

.sucks (Ideal for honest review websites. It’s so easy for companies to censor poor-reviews of their products and services. .sucks makes it clear that whatever is before the dot wasn’t satisfactory; and the website could explain. Think individualized consumer reviews.)

.wtf (Ideal for platforms that offer valuable insight and services that address complex matters. There’s actually an appraisal website that leverages .wtf. There are some tasks in life that can make you say “wtf”; and a company could leverage .wtf to convey “we understand your frustration. Allow our services to help”.

.dot (This is an extension we classify as having “dynamic appeal”; which makes it marketable. For those who aren’t aware, dots are staples in the art/creative design language. This makes .dot ideal for designers and individuals who leverage dots. Furthermore, it adds flavor to the “reciting” of a domain name. (Ex.Dot).

Our team actually has a comprehensive list of TLD/GTLD use-cases that we use with clients. Maybe we’ll post it here in the near future. Certain TLDs and GTLDs offer greater “distinction”. This is often what companies and individuals are aiming for when they brand. .Com is short for “communication”. With so many people online, SOME feel reiterating that you’re communicating is unnecessary. It comes down to choice and what works for you though.

Last edited:
•••
All bad names.
Again, used by behemoths. It's not the domain that you're using to derive value, it's the amount of effort put into the project.

So says you ... keep doing what you’re doing Mad, “master of trolling” domain investors ^ and I can see you’re mad about it, your madness will pay the piper ...

And I tell you what. why don’t you post some names here that you own that you consider “good names” and let us be the judge

~

You keep taking things of the argument and piecing them to fit your own narrative, if you knew anything about coding or AI you would know a bot, is going to learn ^ but only within reason to what is efficient to the system ^ it’s not going to cling onto an .extension for monetary purposes unless it is programmed to do so,

I’m really not sure how you don’t understand that.

~

Amazingly enough you just don’t get it, that’s alright though, time is of the essence

I’ll pop open a bottle of Chateau Lafite in your honor

Last edited:
•••
So says you ... keep doing what you’re doing Mad, “master of trolling” domain investors ^ and I can see you’re mad about it, your madness will pay the piper ...

And I tell you what. why don’t you post some names here that you own that you consider “good names” and let us be the judge

~

You keep taking things of the argument and piecing them to fit your own narrative, if you knew anything about coding or AI you would know a bot, is going to learn ^ but only within reason to what is efficient to the system ^ it’s not going to cling onto an .extension for monetary purposes unless it is programmed to do so,

I’m really not sure how you don’t understand that.

~

Amazingly enough you just don’t get it, that’s alright though, time is of the essence

I’ll pop open a bottle of Chateau Lafite in your honor
I really can only skim over your posts, far too lengthy and bad grammar.

I'm a software developer by trade.

Secondly "an AI"... You haven't specified a description of which one or what input data it has been programmed with, nor what said AI is tasked to do or achieve. Please be more specific. Is it an AI that has been designed to make a profit for a domain investor? If so it ain't going to be choosing a new GTLD to flip...

Last edited:
•••

Secondly "an AI"... No description of which one or what it has been programmed to do or achieve. Please be more specific. Is it an AI that has been designed to make a profit for a domain investor? If so it ain't going to be choosing a new GTLD to flip...

Again reading over the lines to position the narrative, I said exactly what you said above ^ you’re either too lazy or impaired to look at what has been written

Here’s some advice, don’t even reply if you’re not gonna read what I’ve written

Last edited:
•••

Secondly "an AI"... You haven't specified a description of which one or what input data it has been programmed with, not what said AI is tasked to do or achieve. Please be more specific. Is it an AI that has been designed to make a profit for a domain investor? If so it ain't going to be choosing a new GTLD to flip...

You’re a software developer by trade with no vision, how wonderful is that ?

Waiting on those great names you speak of ...

Last edited:
•••
You’re a software developer by trade with no vision, how wonderful is that ?

Waiting on those great names you speak of ...
I don't spend time trying to ram an opinion down peoples' throats and then start blithering and swearing over and over again if I don't like arguing the points I've made. If that means I don't have vision then so be it.

Generally the business that you build is the thing that is worth money, not the domain, that's just a bonus. It's called adding value.

Here’s some advice, don’t even reply if you’re not gonna read what I’ve written
I don't need advice from you, nobody does.

•••

Secondly "an AI"... You haven't specified a description of which one or what input data it has been programmed with, nor what said AI is tasked to do or achieve. Please be more specific. Is it an AI that has been designed to make a profit for a domain investor? If so it ain't going to be choosing a new GTLD to flip...

I get it now, you’re a software developer working on a really big project, so you’re obviously too busy to comment on this,

You are something else, and whatever that something else is, it’s as big as they come, your lack of interest in anyone but yourself is and will be your downfall, shake it off, by all means, but rest assured you’ll remember this.

I told you about market manipulation, you manipulated everyone in this thread by throwing that discussion out the window

It doesn’t matter what name is submitted, what matters is that if a GTLD is submitted at SEDOs Great Domain Auction, unless you own the registry; the name will be rejected. If you own the .com you can sell it all you want without proving you are keen or partnered with Verisign /

•••
I get it now, you’re a software developer working on a really big project, so you’re obviously too busy to comment on this,

You are something else, and whatever that something else is, it’s as big as they come, your lack of interest in anyone but yourself is and will be your downfall, shake it off, by all means, but rest assured you’ll remember this.

I told you about market manipulation, you manipulated everyone in this thread by throwing that discussion out the window

It doesn’t matter what name is submitted, what matters is that if a GTLD is submitted at SEDOs Great Domain Auction, unless you own the registry; the name will be rejected. If you own the .com you can sell it all you want without proving you are keen or partnered with Verisign /
I'm on holiday, but thanks for your concern.

It's not market manipulation to list things that will sell. It's pointless to list things that won't. There are plenty of other platforms with which you can gain prominence for your new gtlds, why get so hung up about one platform's specific auction type?

•••

It doesn’t matter what name is submitted, what matters is that if a GTLD is submitted at SEDOs Great Domain Auction, unless you own the registry; the name will be rejected. If you own the .com you can sell it all you want without proving you are keen or partnered with Verisign
Is this auction on Sedo market manipulation as well?

Screenshot_2022-07-04-18-30-42-596_com.android.chrome.jpg

•••
I'm on holiday, but thanks for your concern.

It's not market manipulation to list things that will sell. It's pointless to list things that won't. There are plenty of other platforms with which you can gain prominence for your new gtlds, why get so hung up about one platform's specific auction type?

You finally addressed what I said, let me bask in this “magical moment” of you not replying to my comments with a smart alec response ...

And let me correct you again, it is absolutely market manipulation, and you’re blind if you cannot see it, what if the shoe was on the other side of the foot, what if SEDO told you that you cannot submit .com domains unless you own Verisign ... but anyone else with new .extensions could sell their names freely anytime they wanted so long as the auction was up ...

And you really don’t see anything wrong with that ? What ... it’s only because it doesn’t effect you ?

Let’s talk about .com ... we have said a lot about GTLDs and the current market manipulation,

O.com is currently for sale, did you know that ? Well let’s pretend that you did

ICANN gave permission to Verisign to sell O.com “on one contingency” that Verisign could only profit from the sale by the registration fee of $7.85 (at the said time) and the rest of the proceeds would go to charity ...

Do you think Verisign is gonna sell the name ? And if you look at it, knowing how you’ll answer, you two are best suited for each other, keep supporting them just like they support you with their shady practices and secret acquisitions of .extensions they told you not to invest in.

~

Enjoy your holiday, conversation is over.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back