Dynadot

discuss The Best Domain Sales Pitch

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Southtexas81

Established Member
Impact
Tell me your BEST sales pitch to end users.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Read this thread, one of the best, most informative threads on here if you want to be successful in this game.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-find-potential-end-users.68798/

The biggest mistake people make is not learning how to sell before buying names. Always have a list of potential end-users before buying a name. Don't buy a name and then start looking for buyers because a lot of time there aren't any.

•••
Don't pitch at all. When you are outbound pitching a domain name to an end user, you are negotiating from a position of weakness with someone who views you as a stranger rudely interrupting their business life with an unwanted sales pitch. How would you like to be on the receiving end of an unwanted sales pitch for something you are not in the market for or don't really even care about? You're not likely to get a very high price for your domain name negotiating from such a weak position with someone who views you as desperate to sell to anyone who will listen to your pitch.

Instead, buy QUALITY domain names, put up landing pages with buy-it-now prices that are a good value, accept credit cards to make it easy to buy, and then WAIT. You're in a much better negotiating position when an end user comes looking for one of your domain names – they are in the market then and they care quite a bit about buying a quality domain name they really want – and all they can do is look at your buy-it-now price and decide whether they should pull the trigger on the price they see in front of them or not. Then, the end user will find the money to meet your buy-it-now price, push the buy-it-now button, and check themselves out without any sales pitch needed from you. You'll be making sales while you sleep at prices that you are already happy with because you set your buy-it-now prices in advance. If you are buying quality names and pricing them as good values, they will sell themselves. If you are buying crappy domain names, no amount of sales pitching is going to get them sold regardless of your approach.

Quality, value, and patience are the three main ingredients of domain name sales success. Pitching need not be an additional ingredient at all if you want to negotiate with end users from a position of strength.

Last edited:
•••
The best sales pitch is the domain itself.

•••
@MediaCode I disagree, the waiting game may work for 20 years old .com domains that are category defining and how many have those in their portfolio? And even then - why not look around? That reminds me of when I started selling websites and people were like well here, I have a site now. But what’s your marketing strategy? Budget? Ideas? Well, I don’t have any, it’s online right? People will come. For real. Will they? How? How many? Why? Will the right people come, the ones you want, the ones who will like and can afford your product/service? That’s like sitting down saying well here I am, I am born, so am gonna just sit here wait for the right job to fall on my head, the right friends, the right person to come be my partner, just like that cose I am so wonderful and everyone should know that by default. Am gonna put 0 effort into letting everyone know that, proving it in any way or into improving myself.

The best real estate agents, the best hotels, the best everything are not only not just « sitting and waiting » but actually spending more on marketing than the average. I have worked for 14 years on branding and online presence for businesses and honestly domains are not on the top of the list, even for businesses that are well funded and have the cash to spend. Why? Because people don’t know, don’t understand, don’t think it’s important etc. Not just the businesses, the branding and marketing professionals they work with too - go ask how many advise their clients on domains (not many if any). So you can be sitting and waiting and on the other side you very likely have potential buyers not at all aware your domain exists or/and is of any value to them. Both lose. Nobody is saying you should go crawling to potential buyers but that applies to everything, it is a skill to present and sell and sure, as with anything, you should start with a good product/service, so be careful what you invest in.

And honestly, you have a good domain? Great. You can have a good domain and still blow it with bad sales techniques and presentation, you can be over confident the buyer will come and look at the rate at which companies start, grow and fail, your super buyer you’re waiting for can peak and perish without ever considering investing in your name (the average lifespan of companies is steadily dropping).

The idea of reaching out to potential buyers being seen as a weakness and as rude interruption very much equates to the general opinion that sales and marketing are unethical, unneeded etc. etc. and that is all throwing the baby with the dirty water. As with everything in life you have the good and the bad and it is your choice of how to apply those that makes the difference. One of the first sites I worked on was for sliding wardrobes, the guy was a one man band, working from his garage, was convinced a listing on yellow pages is good enough and his business is ok. Was I rude offering him a full on site where people can input their measurements, select materials and order a wardrobe online? Was I pushy? Was I weak? Sure I interrupted his day and it took some explaining but my main motivation was always that - yes, I want to get paid for my service but also yes, my service will bring value to that person/business. And it did, within few months from launching the site he called and asked to have a « shop is closed » sign added that he can put on and off as he wasn’t managing to complete orders. Employed 5 more people and got a warehouse. He didn’t know that opportunity existed at all. Wouldn’t have known if I was sitting and waited for him to come ask for a site. A bad pitch to a random person is surely rude and useless and only going to get you bad reputation. But that is not called outreach, that is called spam so just don’t do it.

So to summarise, do invest in good inventory but don’t sit and wait. Quality outreach is beneficial to all involved. If you politely present an opportunity to someone who is well targeted, so it is relevant to them that is not rude and the worst they can say is no and they will give you a reason - it’s expensive, they don’t think it brings value to them, they will rebrand anyway soon, maybe they want to but don’t have the cash so you can work on a deal etc. etc. And you can still chat and have a laugh if you’re human and create a valuable connection that may be used another time, you never know, the world is small and life is short. Nobody benefits from domains hanging doing nothing, you just sit and pay renewal fees.

•••
general blurb on a domain name then I would cherrypick best phrase to include in inquiry or pitch

hb.coach

two powerful consonants

right of the dot is the universal word coach which evokes steadfast planning and direct support for goals

hb brings to mind healthy bodies, home buyers and human bio-mechanics, all areas of life to be improved with coaching

hb also references European sporting franchisees and specifically the sport of handball

hb is suggestive of holistic balance, healthy being and harmonious brain all coach-able changes in a busy and challenging life

•••
Don't pitch at all.

Instead, buy QUALITY domain names,
and then WAIT.
You're in a much better negotiating position when an end user comes looking for one of your domain names – they are in the market then a,nd they care quite a bit about buying a quality domain name they really want

Quality, value, and patience are the three main ingredients of domain name sales success.

So glad you posted that common sense advice!

imo...

•••
I can see where both @MediaCode and @Tatiana Bonneau are coming from. Both make very valid points.

For the most part I agree with MediaCode but there are exceptions. Outbound works really well for names you expect to sell for $xxx. Names you perhaps picked up for reg fee or closeout.

I've sold many names in the past outbound whereby the buyer didn't even know I had it up for sale. The trouble is some end users when they're in the market for a domain may see it is developed or not resolving and perhaps forget to get around to checking it again or they move onto something else. Some perhaps aren't even aware that a name that wasn't for sale previously is now for sale.

Don't knock outbound entirely. I've had numerous 4 fig sales whereby I made the first contact.

The absolute best time to outbound is actually when you've had interest from multiple parties so you can let the others know that it's for sale and that it has had genuine interest.

The key is finding the right balance and weighing up each individual domain. Certain categories of domains like GEOs (NewYorkCityBikes.com) really lend themselves to outbound.

Thanks

•••
•••
I agree no pitch buy better and wait on parkers only need to advertise sites as you don't know they are for sale. The pitch is reserved for brands so on mail outs just domain await reaction.

Last edited:
•••
any one can tell follow up pitch

•••
While I agree with @MediaOptions on the importance of quality names and the power added to a bargaining position when a potential client has found you rather than the other way around, I believe that @Tatiana Bonneau makes a very strong case in her powerfully written post. Many names that could significantly benefit organizations will get overlooked without some form of promotion. I particularly liked the idea that our view should always be focussed on how a name will legitimately serve a potential user (I do understand the example came from website development)
my main motivation was always that - yes, I want to get paid for my service but also yes, my service will bring value to that person/business. And it did
Thanks to all of @MediaOptions , @Tatiana Bonneau and @Dave who have each eloquently expressed valuable points to consider.

Bob

PS @gilescoley point to never acquire a name without being clear on potential end users is spot on as well and thank you for link.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back