NameSilo

tips The ART of negation!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainzy

RetiredTop Member
Impact
Oh how we love to negotiate a price for a domain! However, aren't you surprised how people respond to each other in negotiations. Gonna offer an OPINION, if it helps you, awesome! Its just an opinion.

First/opening offers regardless of price are should be treated as a HELLO... IM INTERESTED.(nothing more or less) Getting offended or not responding is a possible loss of a sale(and future sales and respect). The professional/profitable thing to do is offer a price you know you can go down from, just like they know they have to go up. Rude counter offering or 'LOL' is a waste of time and respect. So is not responding. If you feel the price is TOO LOW, then you didn't treat it as a 'hello' you took it as a final offer?!

Counter offers should be treated as a BALLPARK figure. Getting offended or loosing interest is a missed opportunity to negate further! Always counter offer the sellers counter offer! and repeat!

Anyone who accepts a first offer, or first counter offer is 'leaving money on the table' if you will. Every domain we have bought or sold we countered more than twice. And most of the time, surprised at the outcome!

So many times we have gone to buy a domain and the sellers response is short, rude, or lacks negotiation skills. The worst is when they are offended... as if they don't understand how to negotiate. Once you find people who negotiate with respect, add them to your contacts, and you'll be surprised how often you can help each other out! Avoid people who get offended or lack enough respect to respond proper or counter offer.

Just an opinion..

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey guys,

When you offer your domains for end users, how do you handle replies like :

"Hi,
I have no need for any new domain names at this time.
Sincerely,
XY"
?

Do you try to convince them somehow?

•••
Don't waste your time when you get that kind of replies. Just move on.

•••
And what if they say they mildly interested, they ask for your price, and after I replied, no response within a day. When would you send a reminder email?

•••
Follow up no earlier than 1 week I'd say. Maybe 1 month. Give them some time to think, at the same time appear not needy.

Another question : meaybe the correct title would be the art of negotiation !?

•••
I don't intend to hijack this thread. But I just had an experience which falls under the basic tenant of this thread. I was negotiating a sale on one of the major domain sales platforms. The potential buyer offered my minimum offer. I countered much higher. They came back with an offer at about 50%. I said that they would need to get closer to my pricing. Then, out of the blue, I get an offer, at my minimum offer, on another of the major domain sales platforms. Of course there is no guarantee, this is the same person, but imho, the probability is that it is the same person. I was kind of annoyed. So I asked even more than I did on the first platform. I've had this happen maybe 4 or 5 times in my 8 years of domaining. I've always been irritated by this behavior. How would you react under similar circumstances?

•••
... Then, out of the blue, I get an offer, at my minimum offer, on another of the major domain sales platforms. Of course there is no guarantee, this is the same person, but imho, the probability is that it is the same person. I was kind of annoyed. So I asked even more than I did on the first platform. I've had this happen maybe 4 or 5 times in my 8 years of domaining. I've always been irritated by this behavior. How would you react under similar circumstances?
probably the same way :xf.grin:

•••
So many times we have gone to buy a domain and the sellers response is short, rude, or lacks negotiation skills.
+1

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back