NameSilo

The $2.74 Conspiracy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Message to the average domainer. Stop obsessing about selling and start obsessing about developing. You only need to earn $2.74 each day to profit $1000 in a year from your domain names. So if you have 10 domain names it would be $10000 profit each year. Stop listening to all the hype about selling because it will most likely NEVER happen for you, and you will only realise this once you've lost all your money. Take heed NOW. Register, develop and monetise. Listen clearly, most domainers will FAIL. Nobody wants you to know this because they want to sell you their domains. This message will either be moved, deleted or down-voted or a combination of all three because the sellers can't profit from you. You can free yourselves by investing your time to learn how to develop your domain names into profitable revenue streams and sell later if you so desire. STOP LOSING MONEY, Stop buying worthless domain names. Stop dreaming and start WINNING.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How difficult is it to get traffic if you're completely ignoring the social media, outreach, and advertising angles?
You're basically asking how hard is it is to do S.E.O. right? That's a pie-in-the-sky kinda question mate. Really, it is just out there in the clouds. You need to give some details first. What's the topic? Where's the visitor from? What's your business model? What're your content types? What's the thing you want your visitors to achieve? WHAT'S THE KEY WORD? I mean, come on dude, it's like asking how easy is it to learn break-dancing for everybody in the world. I'm not trying to be insulting, but you ask such general and vague questions.

Last edited:
•••
I ask a genuine question as someone who knows next to nothing on this topic, and am told to do a Google search?
Lisa Simpson.

Last edited:
•••
That's a great post. Thanks @NickB. How difficult is it to get traffic if you're completely ignoring the social media, outreach, and advertising angles?
For me it seems a tough slog....

Just driving traffic to the site for example requires extensive keyword research and planning so your not cannibalising the same keywords, then you have search/user intent - long tail keywords are used primarily for people near the ready to buy cycle, generally don't have huge search volume and are easier to rank for - so you would need a lot of content to generate meaningful traffic.

The flipside is to write long form content - 5,000 words+ and go for those mid to mid high search volume keywords.....less buyer intent, but more chance for the content to be shared and backlinks acquired organically

Both ways require quite a lot of time, effort and patience......

Some nice articles on it below

https://seo.co/content-length/

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/ideal-blog-post-length-for-seo/255633/

With the recent Google update it is now more important than ever to write content that is user friendly rather than some kind of robotic SEO piece - Google is getting smarter at recognising content for SEO purposes and content that is written to satisfy user search queries......I have personally seen several posts move into the top 3 - top 10 positions because of it and a couple drop a 1 - 3 places - but still on page 1 (thankfully)

There are tools that can speed the writing process up - https://www.jasper.ai is one example - I'm not affiliated with them....still requires research and planning though as it's not a magic bullet.......

Last edited:
•••
Structured and timed, that's the ticket. You don't want to be sitting down for hours and hours without really doing anything. Most actual S.E.O. actions can be completed very fast. Just don't expect immediate results.
Just driving traffic to the site for example requires extensive keyword research and planning so your not cannibalising the same keywords, then you have search/user intent - long tail keywords are used primarily for people near the ready to buy cycle, generally don't have huge search volume and are easier to rank for - so you would need a lot of content to generate meaningful traffic.
There's a mid-ground there too. I've found the best key words with high foot-fall and low comp are normally for the trending topics. Most of the competition comes from news site articles which are rarely updated.
The flipside is to write long form content - 5,000 words+ and go for those mid to mid high search volume keywords.....less buyer intent, but more chance for the content to be shared and backlinks acquired organically
Get somebody else to do the writing. Costs pennies these days.
With the recent Google update it is now more important than ever to write content that is user friendly rather than some kind of robotic SEO piece - Google is getting smarter at recognising content for SEO purposes and content that is written to satisfy user search queries......I have personally seen several posts move into the top 3 - top 10 positions because of it and a couple drop a 1 - 3 places - but still on page 1 (thankfully)
That's for sure. Google has algorithms in place and can automatically detect unhappy users in a variety of ways.
There are tools that can speed the writing process up - https://www.jasper.ai is one example - I'm not affiliated with them....still requires research and planning though as it's not a magic bullet.......
Do you create your own copy or pay for it?

Last edited:
•••

Both ways require quite a lot of time, effort and patience......

Some nice articles on it below

https://seo.co/content-length/

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/ideal-blog-post-length-for-seo/255633/

Thanks again, Nick. Great general advice.

The most work I ever put into trying to develop a site was a basic blog I did years ago. Content focused on anecdotal family stuff, and I mixed in domain name content from a more personal angle. At its peak, I think I only did a couple posts a month. Needless to say, I don't think there were many eyeballs on it outside of family and friends.

For me, the decision to really try developing a site would hinge on:
  1. Do I feel passionate and knowledgeable enough about one particular subject, where I feel I would be willing to put in the time and effort to make it worthwhile (I agree that $2.74 per day wouldn't cut it).
  2. Between full-time work, family, and other commitments, do I realistically think I would put in that time?
As someone with neither a development background, nor any kind of social media following, I'd pretty much be starting from scratch, so it's nice to get a sense of the general considerations and work that would be involved to make it happen.

I appreciate the thoughtful guidance.

•••
The thought of that makes my skin crawl. Most people can't write well to save their lives, much less do it in an engaging way. I can only imagine the quality I'd be getting for "pennies".

•••
Structured and timed, that's the ticket. You don't want to be sitting down for hours and hours without really doing anything. Most actual S.E.O. actions can be completed very fast. Just don't expect immediate results.

There's a mid-ground there too. I've found the best key words with high foot-fall and low comp are normally for the trending topics. Most of the competition comes from news site articles which are rarely updated.

That's for sure. Google has algorithms in place and can automatically detect unhappy users in a variety of ways.

Do you create your own copy or pay for it?
Yeah - SEO is a long game.....

News sites by their very definition should be covering trending topics :xf.wink: but there is a LOT of competition in that space - if you have a site say dedicated to say selling kitchen ware then I suppose it would be easier to keep a track on Google trends and spot new tech, products etc etc and get a piece out there quickly and be competitive - I think generic news sites look like really hard work to me......

As Joe mentioned above you get what you pay for......I have tried numerous companies in various countries and most can't write for sh&t

I'm currently using a company and they do a good job - also starting to get a lot of guest post requests, of which 90% are BS and can't write, but a few are coming through that are doing well, also starting to get PR firm reaching out about collaboration work for their clients, so I don't feel the need to write my own content - no time and I'm happy with the job being done atm.....

One guest post that was really good is https://wales.org/guide-to-eco-tourism-in-wales/ - ranking 3rd on Google - only the bloody Welsh government site is above it

I'm having some site issues with Ezoic ad's atm on mobile so if the site is a bit glitchy I am aware of it and on the case

•••
Thanks again, Nick. Great general advice.

The most work I ever put into trying to develop a site was a basic blog I did years ago. Content focused on anecdotal family stuff, and I mixed in domain name content from a more personal angle. At its peak, I think I only did a couple posts a month. Needless to say, I don't think there were many eyeballs on it outside of family and friends.

1. Do I feel passionate and knowledgeable enough about one particular subject, where I feel I would be willing to put in the time and effort to make it worthwhile (I agree that $2.74 per day wouldn't cut it).
  2. Between full-time work, family, and other commitments, do I realistically think I would put in that time?
As someone with neither a development background, nor any kind of social media following, I'd pretty much be starting from scratch, so it's nice to get a sense of the general considerations and work that would be involved to make it happen.

Your more than welcome - It is not easy, It's time consuming and requires commitment....but I enjoy it and the rewards for doing the hard work are there, same for any endeavour - just gotta work smart, hard and enjoy the journey.

I didn't develop the site, paid someone to do it, paid for the initial keyword research and SEO and pay for the articles to be written - the most time consuming thing is the Social Media side & outreaching for backlinks - I'm currently teaching the other half about it so she can take over that side, I have a day job and a couple of side hustles, plus the site and the hours are just not there to do everything myself......I would rather be building up connections/partnerships and planning for implementing more ideas for the site than doing the posting tbh

•••
I have a day job and a couple of side hustles, plus the site
Same boat, different pond. I love side hustles. Oops I meant same pond different boat.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
The fastest way to monetise a developed domain name is to buy one. I'm seriously contemplating taking the @dncafe route and just buying them from now on. Good Blake Hutchison flippa interview about this on the Toob.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't develop the site, paid someone to do it, paid for the initial keyword research and SEO and pay for the articles to be written.
This is actually encouraging to hear. Have you recouped your investment yet?

•••
michael jackson mj GIF

•••
•••
In my limited experience, one new high quality post every week is enough to retain a captive audience. This depends on the topic, and how often the key information changes. Try to aim for non time-specific content as you'll only need to update the main facts and figures. How to posts are a prime example of this. Say you operate a blog about fixing leaks in roofs, bath tubs, pools, gutters, garden hoses. Your income model is Google adsense and product adverts. The basic information about how to fix an x,y,z is unlikely to change dramatically until new methods and products come to the mass market. So your initial effort can be about one self-help topic and the tools required to fix it. Focus on the quality and you will receive your just rewards.
  1. Do I feel passionate and knowledgeable enough about one particular subject, where I feel I would be willing to put in the time and effort to make it worthwhile
Feeling passionate about a topic is a misconception. Having knowledge is a fundamental requirement. Question, can you spare one hour each day of focused work? That's all it takes. But you must learn to shut the door to the world while you're working, and you need to complete tasks.
  1. (I agree that $2.74 per day wouldn't cut it).
That's a fair observation. This example is based upon the premise of operating multiple developed domain names. If you operate just one then $ 27.40 income each day can be a good target. If it takes you one hour each day to compile each post you're looking at $ 191.80 for seven hours work. That's a fairly decent side hustle.
  1. Between full-time work, family, and other commitments, do I realistically think I would put in that time?
One hour each day. Only you can decide if you can commit to that.
I can imagine how daunting this must be for you. Take it step-by-step and day-by-day. Social media followings are either built up over time or somehow acquired (at cost). Learning how to build up a web site is a time consuming process. You'll experience many hours of frustration and head-banging. Be persistent and keep asking questions. That's how I learned.
and I apologise for flying off the handle at you mate.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
This is actually encouraging to hear. Have you recouped your investment yet?
Not yet :xf.smile:

Soft launched April last year, spent some time (around 2 - 3 months tidying the site up) then I let it run until around January this year this - adding content on a monthly basis, building out Social Media Channels etc......did not add revenue streams as I wanted the user experience to be spot on and build out an email list.....

Got rejected by Ezoic at the beggining of this year for ad's so used Adsense for a while which I was not impressed with, so removed it and waited a few months before reapplying for Ezoic - which is now being used. This is generating low xxx monthly ad revenue, the next step is adding a directory, again I haven't rushed things - looking at the options and have the costs broken down.......This will be the main revenue driver for the site moving forwards, until I move to stage 3 which is direct holiday bookings on the site

So should be breaking even by the end of this year and making a healthy profit by mid next year with a view to recouping all the initial costs by Q4 next year....

I had a 3 year plan in place regarding cost's/outgoings etc and it is going as expected, apart from the initial rejection from Ezoic

Lot of lessons learnt really - most definitely can speed the whole process up on the next one now I know what I'm doing - good job I budgeted properly and planned for a period of no revenue coming in - most businesses fail within 3 years and one of the main reasons is a lack of proper planning

•••
Managing one's time is MOST important.

Assimilating learning curves is what you are trying to do.

Selling domain names is the easier one and developing websites is the ( WAY MORE ) harder one.

The Top Global One Hundred websites get the MOST traffic; how many websites TOTAL have you EVER visited ?

Do you still do a lot of surfing like in the old days; or do you feel ( as I do )

that the Internet has become a dangerous place ?

Many ( not all ) websites in the Top Global One Hundred or especially in the Top U. S. A. One Hundred

are operated by Publicly Traded Companies that one can buy shares in, and many of them are very

rapidly growing companies - but not all of them are profitable; some of them, the so-called "Unicorns"

especially, seem to be elite "Social Clubs" where the main perks are the high-paying dream jobs...

but their stock prices have gone up up up anyway - and come right back down again - like Carvana ( CVNA ).

But for me, developing a domain and hitting the jackpot would be Nirvana.

So I want to :

a) raise two billion dollars

b) develop Sports dot Com

c) challenge Zuck & co. ( META )

for the HeavyWeight Title; it won't be easy, but it will be FUN !

( like Domain Investing )

Cheers !

•••
•••
There are alot of type of domain marketplaces :

- Sedo if you have a very good domains
- Flippa if you want to sell website or just domain
- Godaddy for Traffic Domains and good keyword domains

Some people have skill to monitize website with ads from Amazon, Affiliate Marketing. There are some websites with not very good domains sold at Flippa for XXXXX$. They sell business, developed many years.

Some other people have great taste in selecting good domains, but not expert in website.

Some people expert in NGTLDs, some expert in CCTLDs, some expert in trend prediction, some expert in Brandable Domains, some expert in punny code, etc.

That is their own ability, one formula maybe works for some people, but not works to others. We can't push every one using one formula.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back