Dynadot

domains That old domain with all the backlinks might have a legacy domain penalty

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Over the past couple years we have seen a greater interest in buying old domain names for their SEO/Authority value. I had a friend mention to me over the weekend that he bought a name for that very reason, that just can’t seem to rank. I mentioned to him an article I read a few […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good. "backlinks" are an excuse to waste money on garbage.

Hopefully, results in less priority given to "backlinks"

Some have the worst name(s) and justify with BL.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
IMO, this should be expected still. Until google use new metrics to calculate rankings (Recently, google are more focused on web speed and UX for rankings) and ditched the old ranking metrics (like they did with PageRank, etc), the domain historical data (backlinks, DA,PA, etc), will still be valuable in SEO.

•••
Hopefully one day it will be reported that he sold the domain name to the terminal:sneaky::sneaky:

•••
if there is a penality due to a prior usage, once you put the domain name in a good use you can ask google to recheck the domain and also you can try to get those backlinks removed..
anyway it's something that require time.
btw when you want to invest in domains with expired links one of the main thing to remember is always to check if there are some bad quality parameters, like when we want to purchase a domain name for resale we need to check also the potential legal issues we could have.

•••
Buying crap domains with strong backlinks is worth a lot of money ,but those buy these must be able to recover the old content , if not this backlinks will disappear ,its like cutting a three.
Backlinks are always connected to the old content,so the old content always has to be recovered.

Last edited:
•••
i have been doing seo since 1993 and i know ,backlinks are a gold mine .Domains with strong backlinks can save you tons of money on advertising ,thats why you see a lot people paying big bucks for it.

Last edited:
•••
you may see squad.domains with zero ranking and zero backlinks , but no one knows the tree of content and backlinks pointing to it.

Last edited:
•••
Over the past couple years we have seen a greater interest in buying old domain names for their SEO/Authority value. I had a friend mention to me over the weekend that he bought a name for that very reason, that just can’t seem to rank. I mentioned to him an article I read a few […]

Continue Reading
because he doesnt know seo,thats the reason.

•••
Thanks for the article on an important topic @equity78 - and one I know hardly anything about.
I vaguely recall hearing on a podcast that those who buy these sometimes need to do something to repair the reputation if there are fake links from way back. I forget the details, but gathered from the interview that was routinely done to remove penalties. Of course I may be totally wrong!
Bob

•••
Thanks for the article on an important topic @equity78 - and one I know hardly anything about.
I vaguely recall hearing on a podcast that those who buy these sometimes need to do something to repair the reputation if there are fake links from way back. I forget the details, but gathered from the interview that was routinely done to remove penalties. Of course I may be totally wrong!
Bob

Yes Bob I think that was the gist. Now I think with the legacy penalty it's unknown. Like Girlfriend.com was used back in the day for a more risque use, but not spam. The new buyer tried to do things but still could not rank. They lucked out in Mueller taking a personal look. Not everyone getting that.

•••
Bob
its completely true ,domains with penalties can be fixed by removing those links , example:
Bad links can be removed throw google webmaster tools if indexed by google.

•••
I agree with @leadnetwork above, your friend most probably simply doesn't know SEO. How to really measure SEO value of domains, potential penalty, and if there is a penalty after all - how to get rid of it.

People tend, when hearing nice stories about making fortune on drop domains, to think - wow this is a lucrative business. Let me find some nice DA/TF/whatever domain and make quick bucks. But without knowing how to choose - fail is guaranteed.

Exactly the same as we see here many newbs coming here to the names market, regging some domains - good if not hundreds of domains - and then crying here why their premium domains nobody wants to buy. True story, i just read a thread here where a noob person called his garbage premium domains.

•••
OP writing about topic he knows nothing about, his "friend" probably knows even less, this is where the problem is...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back