IT.COM

news Taylor Swift 'demands' computer tech give up domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The Taylor Swift empire is threatening legal action against the computer tech who claims he taught the pop star how to play guitar and write songs.

Soon after Ronnie Cremer told his Swift tale to the Daily News last month, the part-time musician purchased the domain name itaughttaylorswift.com. A week later, Swift's legal team sent an email demanding that he shut down the site, and threatened further legal action if he did not.
On Feb. 6, Cremer received an email from TAS Rights Management, LCC saying that Cremer's domain name, "incorporates the famous Taylor Swift trademark in its entirety and suggests TAS's sponsorship or endorsement of your website. The Domain Name and your use of the Domain Name are also highly likely to dilute, and to tarnish, the famous Taylor Swift trademark."
swift11n-4-web.jpg
Last month, Cremer — a respected local musician — told The News that he actually spent two years working with Swift, after being recruited by her parents. Although he operates a computer repair store in Reading, he says he did no work on the Swift family computers until he had been teaching music for several months.
The letter to Cremer comes admist a flurry legal action by Swift's lawyers. Last month, Vox noted that Swift had applied for trademarks to several phrases related to her lyrics, including the lyrics, This Sick Beat," and "Nice to Meet You. Where You Been?"
Full Article: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ands-tech-relinquish-domain-article-1.2109920

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Having her name inside the domain, as well as a developed sites containing her name or any information about her, I believe may fall under TM violation. He should have abbreviated or something..

•••
Slightly off topic, but what would happen if I were also named Taylor Swift?

•••
Slightly off topic, but what would happen if I were also named Taylor Swift?
Then you'd be well within your rights to keep a Taylor Swift domain name.

•••
As long as that person doesn't show any intent to commercially exploit Ms. Swift's fame, he should be fine. Should be, anyway.

Ms. Swift's lawyers can always pursue Go Daddy for having sold the name to the person if they wanted to.

•••
Sounds like he's just feeling slighted. He apparently taught her how to play guitar, and wants some recognition. Not the best way to go about it, maybe, but it has gotten him some recognition.

•••
Sounds like he's just feeling slighted. He apparently taught her how to play guitar, and wants some recognition. Not the best way to go about it, maybe, but it has gotten him some recognition.

"He says he now hopes to turn his website into a landing spot for untold Swift stories, and is not looking to make money."

The guy seem a bit off his rocker. A middle aged man who claims to have taught her guitar for a little while when she was 12 years old. So he purchases that name and wants to do that w/ it. What a loser.

•••
Seems very jealous and bitter.

•••
Yeah, it's funny. He wants to use her name to sell himself as a guitar teacher, but with this sort of display I wouldn't want him anywhere near my family. He could have easily used her name in a less antagonizing way.

That said, as far as I've seen, Taylor Swift is nothing special when it comes to guitar. She's a basic chord strummer, like a million other kids. If he taught Kaki King, that would be something to boast about.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Then you'd be well within your rights to keep a Taylor Swift domain name.
Having the same name doesn't mean you won't spend a decade in court. ( see: nissan.com )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back