IT.COM

discuss TAKE A “SHILL PILL”. - DOMAIN POLITICS

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

💊 SHOULD DOMAINERS TAKE A “SHILL” PILL? (As in NOT shill names.)

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 😂 SHILL ALL YOU WANT. IT’S SOCIAL MEDIA.

votes
    0.0%
  • 🤔 IT DEPENDS ON THE DOMAIN BEING SHILLED.

vote
    100.0%
  • 🤬 DON’T SHILL A SINGLE DOMAIN UNDER MY POST.

votes
    0.0%
  • 🧐 I DON’T SHILL. I MARKET WITH SOPHISTICATION.

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
🤨 Well folks, here’s a tricky one. As many of us know, there are A LOT of “informal rules” in centralized domaining. Many of which are packaged as “soft guidelines”, “bylaws or “courtesies”. In our view, many of them comprise the framework for “domain politics” the industry operates in tandem with. Whether this could be considered a positive or negative thing depends on who you ask.

🚫 Now, one of the “courtesies” we’ve recently read about on social media has to do with domainers promoting domain names under other domainer’s posts. Oftentimes, it’s referred to as “shilling”. A few parties have argued that domainers shouldn’t post domains under one another’s posts; while others say “all is fair in marketing to get a a sale”. Especially in the digital era and on public platforms.

🏆 To be completely transparent, it’s important to note that we’ve occasionally posted available domains under certain people’s posts; and others have done so under our posts as well. We have no problem with it; and view it as a competitive form of engagement. Whoever can use the character-count/platform to gain a sale wins. After all, the ability to block/silence anyone can be used if it’s too much.

🎉 Granted, the online preferences of others should be considered and respected; but social media does thrive off “the noise of the conversation”. There’s a slew of folks who talk sales day-in and day-out on Twitter and other social platforms. Many post Afternic emails like there’s no tomorrow; and others report high sells like Powerball winning numbers. Regardless of which are authentic, it happens.

🤔 So, what are your thoughts about “shilling” domains under the posts of others on social media or in general? Is it taboo or simply something that comes with being on social media? You know our stance: All is fair. We’ve confidence in the names we hold; and realize the only place we can really control who does what is on our own platform. Believing anything else could be an extension of misguided expectation at best. But that’s us….

🗣Mel
QUAD DOMAINS

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your emoticons reminds me of something.
Screenshot (781).png

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back