Dynadot

Suspicious Buyer???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I have had my domain listed on sedo and a buyer has contacted me directly.

He asked for a price and a gave him a high one - suprisingly he accepeted it at low £xxxx - i personally think worth a lot less - but I've seen stranger domains sell for loads more.

He wants me to pay for a private appraisal before sale with FastDomainSales.com which is $50. I suspect that he may be working for this company and just trying to get ppl to use thier appraisal service.

Do people recommend FastDomainSales.com - could anyone recomend another private appraiser that would give my domain a good appraisal - one that is maybe a little bit on the higher side.

I would prefer to do an appraisal with a different company that i choose so that i know hes just not trying to promote fastdomainSales. He wants a certificate so i can't just do it on this forum.

I could also ask him to do the appraisal and return the money after the sale is complete.

What do you all think i should do?

Cheers

Chris

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wouldn't do that. Drop $100 off the price if he accepts it without the appraisal. Use escrow, of course :)

•••
Thats a scam.

If you search around on these boards many people have been duped. Good thought to check it out first before jumping.

•••
scam, scam, scam stay away :)

•••
There seems to be a new post every day with the same question.....

Go search fastdomainsales on this forum...

happy reading

•••
Wow!

This is the first time I've used this board and I'm impressed already.

I decided just to tell the guy to f**k off - the email is almost identical to previous ones on this forum.

****Any idea for best way to report this guy?****

Here is some more details so you can all keep a look out (I think this site should have a scam warning section so people can identify dodgy dealings such as this, maybe it does already and i haven't looked??) -

Got a genuine email asking for price.

Instant acceptance of high price followed by email below.

Wanted an appraisal and said he asked in a forum for some advice:
http://domaintalk.ourplace.com/Archive/15577.htm

This forum is dodgy - no actual forum exists apart from this page - when i asked the buyer about this he says it is now closed.

I offered a choice of appraisal companies and he stated he wanted fast fastdomainsales based on the advice in that post.

----Original message----

1,600 USD. Ok.

Do you sell a developed site or just domain name? If you don't have a site
it's not a problem. I'm mostly interested in domain names without content.

Do you have an appraisal of your domain? I need an appraisal certificate for
domain priced in your range. Domain name is an investment for me. I'm going
to sell your name later and make a profit. If I overpay I won't be able to
make a profit in the future. So I need to know the current market value of
your name. I guess your are also interested in getting this figure.

Please note that I don't trust free or cheap appraisals. So we cannot
accept appraisal from each and every site.

Earlier I had a bad experience with Afternic.com. I also found the following
inform,ation about them.
http://forum.icann.org/nsi2001/3AC75D7900000305.html

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies
in a forum.
http://domaintalk.ourplace.com/Archive/15576.htm
Juck check this posting.
(http://domaintalk.ourplace.com/Archive/15577.htm - this is the actual address - he sent it later saying the first one was wrong)

After I verify an appraisal from you we'll continue our negotiations.

How do you prefer to get paid: www.PayPal.com, www.escrow.com, check or
wire?

Looking forward to your reply.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Don't even bother to contact the "buyer" or explain anything. Thy're just phishing for naive domain owners.

collieri said:
Just ignore them, they are russians, nasty gangster types....

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=66660
They're nerdy geeky types. I'm not advocating what they're doing, but admit it - that's a pretty clever scheme.

If you have a general beef against Russians - you might want to look closely at Sergey Brin (Google co-founder).

Last edited:
•••
Send a polite email stating that it is your company's policy for potential buyers to pay for all requested appraisals.

•••
Midano said:
If you have a general beef against Russians - you might want to look closely at Sergey Brin (Google co-founder).

Huh..??
not me brother.... Wheredya get that from..??
:notguilty:

•••
•••
glad you found out its a scam...many newbies fall for it;)....especially if its their first!!

•••
I got the same exact thing. We talked back and fourth. He never really forced that specific appraisal service. Though it was the same email he just reccomended me to that service.

•••
usually these are just to rip you off. If they want an appraisal, they pay

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back