domains Supply.co gets $300,000 deal on Shark Tank

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
So back on October 16, Patrick Coddou announced his company was making the move from GetSupply.com to Supply.co. The back and forth on Twitter was interesting, sometimes funny, along with those who just made a plug to pitch their own services. Coddou also called out the "Domain Bros" and called Shane Cultra an idiot. Shane had tweeted, And tomorrow you will learn what http://O.co and … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I this read this article on how the company went from a side gig to full time position for the husbsnd and wife team. I find it an interesting read, and they seem like smart reflective people. It was written before the .co rebrand and SharkTank appearance so no mention of either.
https://www.klaviyo.com/blog/from-side-hustle-to-sustainable-business
Things always change. Names don't need to end in .com

Seems like every time a smart entrepreneur wants to use a non .com web address, there are the .com dinosaurs to tell them how stupid they must be to want to try something new. Backwards if you ask me..
A brand doesn't have to be any tld. But you have to let them know where you live. Dot com is the default so you have to let them know you're on dot co. Look at all their branded merchandise and his shirt on the show. Everything just says SUPPLY. Great if you are a fashion brand named Supply but if you are selling other merchandise off a dot co you better mention it. This isn't about dot co, dot io, or dot horse. Its simply marketing. He is going to use Google to do his work, not the domain. Its merely a holding spot.

•••
A brand doesn't have to be any tld. But you have to let them know where you live. Dot com is the default so you have to let them know you're on dot co. Look at all their branded merchandise and his shirt on the show. Everything just says SUPPLY. Great if you are a fashion brand named Supply but if you are selling other merchandise off a dot co you better mention it. This isn't about dot co, dot io, or dot horse. Its simply marketing. He is going to use Google to do his work, not the domain. Its merely a holding spot.
Oh I forgot, I'm an idiot, so forget what I just said :)

•••
Agree with Shane.
I would have Supply.co printed on my merchandise if I was him.

•••

Totally Totally Agree here with you.I do not know if the Owner of Supply.co knows this!

Hey @Domain Shane Alas! Only people can help those who are ready to Listen!

Last edited:
•••

I just say one thing. Supply.co will need to pray every day of their business life to some good God, so Supply.com does not start selling razors.

•••
Supply Co is a nice brand outright just as is. I would definitely brand it that way.. as I would for any domain with any extension. Even many .com based businesses are going to brand with .com included within its media and advertising, of course, why wouldn't they? Unless you have half a mil for a premium one word .com, you pretty much have to.

I think one thing most domainers should be able to agree on... its 2020, using domain names with the words "get" or "buy" or "try" or even "the" (in many cases) in your domain just for the sake of having a .com is tacky and honestly cheap looking. Lets praise the Supply.co people for finding a better domain than their previous one.

Last edited:
•••
Supply Co is a nice brand outright just as is. I would definitely brand it that way.. as I would for any domain with any extension. Even many .com based businesses are going to brand with .com included within its media and advertising, of course, why wouldn't they? Unless you have half a mil for a premium one word .com, you pretty much have to.

I think one thing most domainers should be able to agree on... its 2020, using domain names with the words "get" or "buy" or "try" or even "the" (in many cases) in your domain just for the sake of having a .com is tacky and honestly cheap looking. Lets praise the Supply.co people for finding a better domain.
I sold GetJupiter.com recently for roughly $3K I think it was... I would never sell Jupiter.co for $3K... In fact, I'd pay $3K+ to buy Jupiter.co for myself as an investment.

•••
Supply Co is a nice brand outright just as is.

Yes I agree. But they should never forget to put the .co after Supply in their marketing stuff. Short and memorable domain yes.
Anyway, I too praise the Supply.co people for finding a domain they like.

•••
Supply.co is nice name, no doublt...did they reg it or buy it from aftermarket?

•••
Supply.co is nice name, no doublt...did they reg it or buy it from aftermarket?
Reg it?
Unless you're picking up drops at premium prices, these type of names can't be registered.

It was likely a $10k-$40K sale if I had to guess.

•••
Now Roman who is on tv here all the time, they went the other way, they own Roman.co and point it to GetRoman.com which they market and advertise under.

•••
Now Roman who is on tv here all the time, they went the other way, they own Roman.co and point it to GetRoman.com which they market and advertise under.
I'm a big fan of owning both. I think this is the smartest possible strategy when you can't buy the exact match .com.

Only difference is that I'd point GetRoman.com to Roman.co like Supply.co are now doing while also including the .co in branded collateral.

Last edited:
•••

Good find :) That's the other side of the coin.

•••

Getroman.com when spelled quickly hears like Getro man but with tv visual I think that would not be a problem.Just they may or may not advertise .com still people will land in .com which may hit them hard if they are not a .com.

Still if budget allows and all things are possible then any day Roman.com would be absolutely stunning.

1.) But after some time lets assume if and then they accrue Roman.com and change and advertise it as just Roman or Roman.com (Advertised before as GetRomain.com before accruing Roman.com) will it hit down them largely.

2.) Also how the same case can be applied if we assume Supply.co Advertises as Supply.co (Which it does actually not as of now) and again assuming they get Supply.com in future and just switch to Supply or Supply.com for Advertising.

I think both the scenarios will be hit down hard to some extent!

In these 1st and 2nd scenarios above which do you think will get hit down hard largely in terms of Branding change for Merchandise and Advertising in general.

(OR)

3.) Should Business as Brands must go with their Single word or 2 words domains straight away while launching even if it costs them Initially so that they need not change the Advertising for the Branding later which helps in not so lots of confused customers later regarding the Merchandise and sales online and offline and reap the rewards of Cash down the line by doing this.

Is this 3rd scenario is the best way to go?

Last edited:
•••
Reg it?
Unless you're picking up drops at premium prices, these type of names can't be registered.

oh, yes, .co is not ngtld, it had long history...those single word should been regged long time ago...just checked it, it regged at 2010 Feb, means it been regged in the first wave.......I guess public people start to love .co should later than 2015?(the NP official .co thread start at 2009, before .co public avai...but at Mar. April 2010 it is quite hot here....some people blame good key words gone at Feb before it public avai...NP is nice, u can check all those history....)

Last edited:
•••
My country .in do lots better. Here we see .co.in and .in more then .com

Probably because .com's are too expensive. The top Indian companies are all .com - Tata.com, ril.com, HDFCbank.com, etc. If you're a big boy, you're a .com.

•••
Probably because .com's are too expensive. The top Indian companies are all .com - Tata.com, ril.com, HDFCbank.com, etc. If you're a big boy, you're a .com.

Yes you are right even HDFC Bank also has HDFC.com.But also having the Geo's would help in Local Country Geo Searches but having Geo's alone and avoiding .com would be a big mistake as of getting huge Online Presence or if you are thinking of expanding the Business in Future to a Worldwide Reach.

•••
Axisbank.co.in
TataMotors.co.in
SBI.co.in

It's just some quick names, all of three are huge just Google them valued millions of dollars.

So your point is pointless.

•••
I myself own thousands of .com and 20 to 30 .co

I don't force people to choose .com instead of .co

I don't just go and piss everywhere. The things no one asked his advice but he gone there and tried to dragg an startup company on its own Twitter handle. Which is stupid and idiotsy of its kind.

•••
Axisbank.co.in
TataMotors.co.in
SBI.co.in

It's just some quick names, all of three are huge just Google them valued millions of dollars.

So your point is pointless.

AxisBank.com
TataMotors.com
onlineSBI.com

If you're a big player, you have your .com.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Reg it?

The last public sale was February of 2018 for $5,269:

https://namebio.com/supply.co

After clearing Sedo Escrow, it was privately registered at Key-Systems, and that registration info has stayed the same. Unless that buyer resold it to the current registrant, $5,269 was the purchase price.

•••
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but this guy already had one of the largest shaving sites in existence. Not hard to transition to whatever you like at that point.

Although, the o.co fiasco does make you pause!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back