IT.COM

.sucks domain pricing controversy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Voodoomoodoo

Established Member
Impact
Vox Populi, the guys rolling out ".sucks" domains are planning a pricing structure as follows:

• Available to the general public for $249-299,
  • Brand-specific .sucks domains (like apple.sucks or google.sucks) will be sold to for up to $2,499.

Should this be allowed?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems fine to me... they just should not expect to sell many domains.
I wouldnt buy one, not just because .sucks... sucks as an extension but because its too damn expensive

That is my $2.69 (inflation adjusted 2 cents).

Cheers

•••
the problem is that the high priced domains are purely used as defensive registrations - to keep others from buying them and harming the brand. If amazon is registering "amazon.sucks" it's not because they're going to set up a new commerce site on it - they're doing it to keep others from harming them with the .sucks version. There is no other benefit for those companies registering the domain - it's a "don't be harmed by not registering it before someone else" situation.

I see potential for a lawsuit or two based on this fact. A team of expensive lawyers and a sympathetic judge and this whole .sucks extension could be derailed with a big judgement.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back