Domain Empire

Submit Your Domainer Mistakes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm going to write a blog post about the Top 10 mistakes a domain investor can make; if anyone wants to contribute then please make your suggestions below!

They can be anything related to domain names. I'll use the best ones in the article - crediting you, of course.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Registering trademarks in hopes to sell to the TM holder :rolleyes:

Not me, but have seen this done frequently over the past 6 years.

•••
Buying single word .nets in hopes of selling for huge profits. Seriously, .nets are awful.

•••
"Submit my mistake so other people will know my mistake"

•••
Always in hurry to sell the acquired domains. Missed serious cash. For eg. I sold a domain like QSSG.com last year for a mere low XX. Now I am learning to be more patience.

•••
Me: 1. Sometimes keeping reserves too high in auctions. :xf.wink:
2. Registering lots of ccTLDs. :oops:
3. Buying Brandables in NP and later found out they are already rejected in BB. :P
4. Registering two word .org/ .info /.net domain. O.o
5. Haven't bought lot of LLLL early last year because I thought the price ($24) is too much... Now, I know their value.. :xf.frown:

Not Me: People comparing ngtlds with the King although they know that ngtld is their workaround for .com :xf.cool:

•••
This reminds me of every interview on job interview...

My mistake, I'm a perfectionist. :xf.cool:

But seriously... being a perfectionist can be quite detrimental. After quickly adopting 'what works' I tried to perfect the process, constantly adding on new ways to do things, and it completely changed my original process into something that wasn't working. I had to go back and strip down what I was doing, going back to basics - which is working very well at the moment.

•••
SPELLING !! Cross dislexia with impatiance and it produces some interesting domain name registrations.

•••
  1. Registering Typo domains.
  2. Registering TM domains.
  3. Bidding beyond the budget.
  4. Selling in hurry.
  5. Missing the chances to grace delete.
  6. Registering key word names in non-popular ccTlds.
  7. Checking Estibot appraisal.
  8. Listing no reserve auction in flippa without buying upgrades
  9. Discussing about domaining with a non-domainer.
  10. Not having patience.

•••
I got a deal for one of the new Gtlds and I was actively looking to register "goggles" and I spelled "google" without knowing and took the name. The name was Keyword+goggles and I registered keyword+google, and I did register 2 of them.:xf.cool: After payment the mail came from the registrar and my eye popped out :oops::oops: it was Google. I was shocked for a moment O.oO.o . Then I contacted the support and asked them to delete the names and I don't need any refund. >:(:xf.frown: to which they gladly agreed and it was solved. :xf.grin::xf.grin:.
After that I double check my spelling :P:xf.rolleyes:

•••
As a noob, I find that my biggest mistake while hand registering domains is my impulsive and compulsive behavior. I do my research first of course, but when Godaddy tells me "Hurry and get this domain before someone else does" ...

I'm really reading:
"Hurry and get this domain right now because there is someone else doing the same research as you and they are about to buy the domain too so you better buy it right now .. stop looking for Godaddy discount codes that work because there are none left, you already maxed them out, you're wasting time ... buy the domain now ... hurry the heck up!"

Then later, after I'm happy with my domain I bought, I realize I need to buy all the other variations of the domain name to keep (my perceived) value high.

I still feel positive about the domains I register, they are in technologies that have yet to make it big, but sometimes I look at my domains in horror at the future renewal costs and with doubts if I speculated correctly.

•••
Always in hurry to sell the acquired domains. Missed serious cash. For eg. I sold a domain like QSSG.com last year for a mere low XX. Now I am learning to be more patience.
I made the same mistake last year. Sold a CCCC .com without a V for $xx. I just learned about the Chinese preferred letters this year, so what could I do...

Piggy-backing on being in a hurry to sell, I would say looking too eager or desperate to sell. This usually applies to bigger ticket items.

•••
  1. Bidding beyond the budget.
  2. Checking Estibot appraisal.
  3. Discussing about domaining with a non-domainer.

I do these on a daily basis, they're pretty bad habits...

•••
Buying domains that are beyond worthless just because the price seems like a real bargain. i.e., not taking into account that renewal fees are something to consider when purchasing...

•••
Common mistake: lottery mentality.
Buy hundreds of domains in no time, because just one sale could pay for the rest and leave you with a profit right ? Nope.

•••
1) registering/buying/catching .com/.net/.org/.info/.tv/ names in nova days...
2) buying domains on snapnames, namejet, TDNAM, Sedo, etc
3) catching domains on DropCatch.com
3) parking domains.

•••
1) registering/buying/catching .com/.net/.org/.info/.tv/ names in nova days...
2) buying domains on snapnames, namejet, TDNAM, Sedo, etc
3) catching domains on DropCatch.com
3) parking domains.

Sounds like you made the mistake of domaining in the first place ;)

•••
Buying single word .nets in hopes of selling for huge profits. Seriously, .nets are awful.
I sold DomainResellers(.)net for $320, it was a hand reg.

•••
I sold DomainResellers(.)net for $320, it was a hand reg.

Ah. I thought you meant your biggest mistake was buying domains. I must have misread it. :)

•••
•••
One of the biggest mistake is not to learn from old mistakes :) And keep repeating it. Like i have invested in aged domains by hoping will get some profit but hard to sell on purchasing price. Also keep buying like there is no tomorrow and pay high on purchasing and same with sale.

•••
Adding random words/numbers to other domains that sold for lots as a single word. Done this a few times when I would register BS and expect roses!

•••
buying spelling mistake domain but sold out mid $xx

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back