IT.COM

strategy Strategy to sell domains at least 50-100$

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ImperiousDon

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think that in order to answer which is "best" you must be clear in your own mind answers to the following:
  1. Am I probably selling this to other domain investors or an end user?
  2. What is the minimum price I might accept, and what is the commission for that price at various venue options?
  3. Do I have my own website landers, or do I plan to use parking pages or landers associated with the marketplace?
  4. How are payouts handled, and are there additional fees related to that or escrow?
  5. How likely are people to find my domain name without any outbound or other promotion, and what do i have in mind with respect to plans for promotion?
  6. Am I willing to interact directly with buyer and do transfer of the domain after sale, and accepting payment, myself, or do I prefer that be totally done by a third party?
  7. Where have names like this one most often sold in the past? (this is challenging of course since Undeveloped and Afternic do not normally disclose sales, but you can at least for example compare Sedo, Flippa and GoDaddy for domains similar to your own)
  8. Geographically where are my buyers likely to come from, and what payment options are most likely suited to that? (e.g. some venues allow BTC some do not)
  9. How urgently do I want/need to sell the domain name?
  10. How niche is this? Are there only a handful of organizations that probably want it?
In general listing as many places as possible make sense, but only one with BIN. Select carefully which is the BIN place considering the above points.

•••
The minimum price is $250 on Afternic. So this is your absolute minimum. You then need to make sure the landing page correctly displays the price.
No you can sell for lower! Min offer of $250 is only for "Price Requests" afaik!

•••
Not true. They charge 20%, $15 minimum, in commission. I think their minimum price is $50.
I did a tiny $133 a few weeks ago on Undeveloped and got something like $121 in my paypal. So I think it might be 9-10%.

"Transaction closed - We just sent the payment of $121.03. This transaction is now closed. Again, congratulations and thank you for using Undeveloped!"

Very nice people to deal with.

Last edited:
•••
I did a tiny $133 a few weeks ago on Undeveloped and got something like $121 in my paypal. So I think it might be 9-10%.

"Transaction closed - We just sent the payment of $121.03. This transaction is now closed. Again, congratulations and thank you for using Undeveloped!"

Congrats on the sale and glad to hear the process went smoothly! Can someone else confirm that they charge less than $15 minimum, as their website seems to say they have do charge 20% with $15 minimum.

https://www.afternic.com/sell-domains

They do at the top say they have the lowest commission in the industry, clearly not true at 20%, so is it possible they lowered it to compete with Undeveloped but forgot to update their page? There must be others who have had recent sales on Afternic who can confirm.

•••
Well there is no single strategy . Further Every one has their own strategy and no one is wrong in that..
I personally deal in hand register domains and purchase around 300 domains per months (geo and keyword)... normally I sell around 10% of the same via outbound and I have a dedicated team for the same. I sale 50% to resellers in low to mid xx range within first few months itself... I hold 5-10% for long term as u do get such decent domains even in daily expiry list... lastly I drop 20% of the remaining lot or sell at namepros for 1-2$ each.
My average acquisition cost is $4 and average end user sale price is $300 and reseller price is $20 so in nutshell I am in healthy profit on monthly basis...
However it didn't happen overnight and it took over a year to reach this stage...

I'd like to hire some of your team on one of their days off :xf.grin:

•••
I'd like to hire some of your team on one of their days off :xf.grin:

You can hire your own team and start with outbound... Though it takes time to run outbound on auto mode... feel free to let me know if I can be of any assistance

•••
You can hire your own team and start with outbound... Though it takes time to run outbound on auto mode... feel free to let me know if I can be of any assistance
Yes I had a small team but I like yours better. (y)

•••
Yes I had a small team but I like yours better. (y)

Great ... do share your experience... it's always good to learn of experiences of fellow domainers especially in terms of outbound as very few does that.... I personally know atleast 10 domains who r into outbound full time and they are doing pretty good for themself

•••

According to their website it's 20%, $15 minimum.

•••
•••
Congrats on the sale and glad to hear the process went smoothly! Can someone else confirm that they charge less than $15 minimum, as their website seems to say they have do charge 20% with $15 minimum.

They do at the top say they have the lowest commission in the industry, clearly not true at 20%, so is it possible they lowered it to compete with Undeveloped but forgot to update their page? There must be others who have had recent sales on Afternic who can confirm.

They take 20%. A $150 sale will net you $120. Clearly a lie about being the lowest.

•••
•••
Not true. They charge 20%, $15 minimum, in commission. I think their minimum price is $50.

I am standing corrected! Not sure where I got $250 from.

•••

The comment you replied to was for Afternic and not Undeveloped!

•••

Yes, this is correct. @NYJimbo was talking about Undeveloped and not afternic!

•••
•••
Price requests require a min offer of $250 so probably from there
Damn .. yes .. just realised I've been pricing up liquidations way too high on Afternic, so very thankful for this thread!

•••
They take 20%. A $150 sale will net you $120. Clearly a lie about being the lowest.

Oh They always charge $20, except for large transactions > $5000 and small transactions < $75.

So if you sell something for $50 (20% being $10) they charge you $15. Hence $15 is minimum fees they charge.

But for selling price between $75 to $5000 they charge 20%

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
You build a the website get some good content on website. Make business model like a affiliate and sell it as a system for make money at at price of $50 and $100. If you make sales even , show off and make more money by selling it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back