Dynadot

Strategy Help - GoDaddy Expiring - 5 minutes left - 0 bids

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Twice today I saw auctions with zero bids with 5 minutes left...I make the first bid and it triggers a bidding war both times.

Obviously this strategy is flawed? Are people seeing the bid and then jumping in? (they were good names)

Should i wait until it drops to $11?

How do you approach these auction situations?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If you wait until closeout sometimes the domain has a backorder. That means you won't get it. I've given up on GD auctions, it's too hard to find deals.

•••
If you wait until closeout sometimes the domain has a backorder. That means you won't get it. I've given up on GD auctions, it's too hard to find deals.

My understanding was that if someone went through GD's back-order "service", all GD did was to whomp a bid on the name as soon as it hit the expired auction listings. I don't believe GD waits to see if it goes to close-out so they can get it for their customer any cheaper.

•••
a godaddy backorder will show as a $10 bid on the expired auction.

•••
It can placed during during the auction.

•••
I placed a $12 bid at 6 minutes before expiration today.

Now, I'm in a bidding war against this buyers automatic bid. It's up to $67 now. More than I'm willing to pay. Though, the thought that this is some bot bidding $99 makes me want to keep bidding it up lol..

•••

Now, I'm in a bidding war against this buyers automatic bid. It's up to $67 now. More than I'm willing to pay. Though, the thought that this is some bot bidding $99 makes me want to keep bidding it up lol..

I bid another $5. It's now at $77. It's like some sort of hot potato game. It's not a bad domain if I end up with up, however, this high of a price removes the reseller option and forces me to wait for an enduser.

•••

Try $87 see what happens, if your comfortable owning it

•••
Try $87 see what happens, if your comfortable owning it

Just tried it... :P

87.PNG

Do you assume the proxy bid is $99? Meaning a $97 bid wouldn't yield an automatic bid?

•••
It is close to it, I think it could be $97 98 99, or even upto 101

I think we have our answer, this keeps happening, as people usually bid next increment up, these keep getting bid upto the 97-105 range in one step.

If you want to let it go, you will see who owns it in a week, you might get your answer.

It is just amazing how it happens at the 5-6 minute mark, and it is just a single bid placed close to $100.

•••
It is close to it, I think it could be $97 98 99, or even upto 101

I'm going to wait and see who the owner is before I make any strategy changes. Right now I have 2 ideas...

1) Stop bidding on domains in Expired Auctions and wait for the to hit Close out.

2) If somebody with deep pockets like HugeDomains is gaming the system, I may bid on junk domains to hurt their margins. You could essentially inflate sales prices for certain niches on their dime. Say you bid on all 6L domains ending in Poo. If this "bot" keeps placing automatic bids, NameBio will report a trend of recent 6L sales ending in Poo under $100. The problem with this is somebody is going to end up getting stuck with a bunch of poo. lol**

** I wish Sales Reports like NameBio could detail if the GoDaddy sale was by HugeDomains or another marketplaces. Otherwise CHIP pump and dump schemes could be created based off of a large volume of low reported sales in certain patterns. I imagine pump and dumps are more complicated than this. I'm really just ranting**

Last edited:
•••
I'm going to wait and see who the owner is before I make any strategy changes. Right now I have 2 ideas...

1) Stop bidding on domains in Expired Auctions and wait for the to hit Close out.

2) If somebody with deep pockets like HugeDomains is gaming the system, I may bid on junk domains to hurt their margins. You could essentially inflate sales prices for certain niches on their dime. Say you bid on all 6L domains ending in Poo. If this "bot" keeps placing automatic bids, NameBio will report a trend of recent 6L sales ending in Poo under $100. The problem with this is somebody is going to end up getting stuck with a bunch of poo. lol

I learned this lesson last year when I saw this pattern, there is no point, you are better off taking chances in close out, then spending $100 chasing each one of these domains. In doing so, if you bid $12, then it jumps to $17, say you bid $30, then you extend another 5 minutes, you are just keeping the auction alive, getting more eyeballs, maybe you beat the $99 bid, at this point you might have exposed the name to others, who think there is something valuable there, then you have to fend them off from $100 on, just one big headache.

Most of the ones I did whois on were huge domains, I would assume they have some sort of filters to avoid junk.

I would say this theory is nonsense, but I saw it myself, and you yourself saw it. All the auctions I was in they were bid up close to $100 with that single fixed trigger bid, not counter bids. Really the only thing in common is a bid during the 5-6 minute market that provokes this single bid, almost like a mechanism.

Last edited:
•••
I would say this theory is nonsense, but I saw it myself, and you yourself saw it. All the auctions I was in they were bid up close to $100 with that single fixed trigger bid, not counter bids. Really the only thing in common is a bid during the 5-6 minute market that provokes this single bid, almost like a mechanism.

This exact scenario has just happened to me, but because I'd seen this thread I was sort of expecting it. An expired domain I really wanted, fairly obscure with zero marketing potential but would work great for a personal project… I wasn't going to risk it going to Closeouts and being snatched, so I bid at the 5.30 minute mark. I was the only bidder until 3 minutes to go when another bidder posted a bid which was just under mine, triggering my max bid (just over $100). I topped up my bid a bit and waited, no more bids and I did get it. But I'm really ticked thinking it might have just been a bot bid driving up mine to the max...

•••
another bidder posted a bid which was just under mine, triggering my max bid (just over $100).
Sorry, how could that happen? Isn't your max bid a proxy?

•••
Sorry, how could that happen? Isn't your max bid a proxy?

Yes, the max bid is a proxy bid. Somehow the only other bid placed was exactly $5 under my proxy limit, so that triggered my bid to almost its max.

•••
It doesn't have to be exactly $5 under your proxy bid. It just needs to be no more than $5 under it to be able to hit your max.

•••
It happen to me a lot of times. I don't think the bot will try to bit on every last 5 mins bid. It must be some kind of algorithm to trigger it. If there is a bot want to get the same name I want. I don't think I can get it on close-out domain. I'd rather to compete with it if that domain name is what I really want.

•••
It happen to me a lot of times. I don't think the bot will try to bit on every last 5 mins bid. It must be some kind of algorithm to trigger it. If there is a bot want to get the same name I want. I don't think I can get it on close-out domain. I'd rather to compete with it if that domain name is what I really want.
Nothing to compete with, just be prepared to pay $100

•••
Nothing to compete with, just be prepared to pay $100

Why they want to do that? It's an expiring domain auction. I paid $100 more is going to Godaddy's pocket?

•••
If there is a bot want to get the same name I want. I don't think I can get it on close-out domain. I'd rather to compete with it if that domain name is what I really want.

The point is though that the bot doesn't want the name until after it sees you place a bid. If you wait until Closeouts, it will never want (or go after) the name. If this speculation is correct.

We will find out :)

•••
I have had this happen to me more times than I care to remember.

I simply don't buy it that over and over again with 5 minutes remaining I place a large random proxy to like $87 or so and often I get taken right up to my proxy by one main bidder and the bidder bails out making me pay up the max, or I get into a bidding war for more.

I have stopped bidding on godaddy now unless there's a name I really want which will go high anyway or as others are saying let them go to a closeout.

Frankly, godaddy has lost my trust in the auctions with these very strange bidding patterns and no bidder aliases to know what is going on.

•••
Can anybody tell me what happened to those names in GD auctions which has starting Bid more than $12. Ex. $50 and ended up with no bids . Where they will go ?

•••
This all sounds like conspiracy theory stuff. Not saying it can't be true. But, just wait a week and check the whois and see if you can find a pattern of who is doing the bidding. If you find that it is one entity, then you might be onto something.

•••
And by the way, if there are no bids, I wait until closeout.

There are definitely opportunistic bidders who wait for late bids to alert them to good names. Unless I'm ready to pay up at auction, I'm going to try to be quick to snag it at closeout.

•••

does that mean if I see an expiring domain I can place a backorder a few minutes before the auction ends and in case no one else is bidding I get it for $25 without anyone noticing my bid?

Sounds pretty effective?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back