IT.COM

advice Step away from marketplaces with high commission rates?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
I sell about 50% of my domains via my own landing pages, and about 50% from marketplaces. I am thinking of either:

A) Step away from marketplaces that charge more than 10-15% in commission.

B) Rise the prices on marketplaces (that charge more than 10-15% in commission) with the same amount as the commission.

What’s your views on this? Would it be a wise or a stupid move? How do you do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Raise the price for the domain names on those marketplaces that charge more than 10-15% in commission.

2. Then lower the price on your landing page.

Make sure the domains point to your landing page but can also be found in marketplace.

That way it increases the chance of the buyer using landing page than marketplace.

•••
You can list domain in your own landing page for let's say $ 3000, then list them in other marketplaces for $5000, in that way you hit the jackpot every time someone takes BIN at marketplaces also at the same time encouraging them to use your landing page, but it has one drawback that it may cause confusion to the buyer and you may fix this by changing BIN in your landing page to make offer IMHO.

•••
Nothing wrong, I chose to build my own market. I have already removed the domain name in other third-party markets (SH\BB), because their terms do not allow me to stay there, I am worried that staying there will trigger disputes. And I can do the same thing in my own market .I can design LOGO myself, I can do SEO myself, the key is that we should bear the consequences for our own choices.:)
I enjoy this wonderful process.good luck

Last edited:
•••
I like many list a number of my domains across multiple marketplaces. I wonder if Dofo catches on as the one-stop place for those searching for domains, where it includes all the main ones, is it still necessary to list in more than one? For example list only at lower commission one.

I guess currently the advantage of something like Afternic premium network is you show up as people are searching for a hand reg.

I think with many years successful experience you can best decide for your portfolio whether giving up some high commission listings will matter much.

Bob

•••
The more valuable the domain name, the less you need to find a buyer, but the buyer is looking for you. The standard for measuring value is reflected in wisdom, not just keyword search. What buyers lack is just an opportunity to establish direct communication.

•••
The question is do buyers trust buying directly from your own landing page? what payment options do you provide to them?

maybe buyers trust landing pages from well known marketplaces like Undeveloped or Uniregistry, I am not sure if you will get higher selling % with them vs your own landing.

Last edited:
•••
maybe buyers trust landing pages from well known marketplaces like Undeveloped or Uniregistry
I suspect there is a lot of truth to this (although don't know of hard proof). Even though I maintain my own website, I link to where the domain can be purchased through a third party like Afternic or Undeveloped. I think people naturally trust more when an established company is the third party handling the transaction.

Last edited:
•••
The question is do buyers trust buying directly from your own landing page? what payment options do you provide to them?

maybe buyers trust landing pages from well known marketplaces like Undeveloped or Uniregistry, I am not sure if you will get higher selling % with them vs your own landing.
I have thought about this problem. If they like this domain, the first choice should be to send an email and get in touch with the seller instead of paying directly. So my website is just a target for displaying logos, because not all domains bb will accept them. I pay by accessing escrow and paypal api

•••
I suspect there is a lot of truth to this (although don't know of hard proof). Even though I maintain my own website, I link to where the domain can be purchased through a third party like Afternic or Undeveloped. I think people naturally trust more when an established company is the third party handling the transaction.
This is a great practice and I will perfect my website by adding a third party market button.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back