IT.COM

Starting an auction at SEDO after an offer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Honey Domains

Established Member
Impact
My first offer arrived Friday!! I have a two word .org domain (for a big industry where org seems to be common) at SEDO. The .com is for sale DOTCOM agency for $110k, and a similar .com sold for $13,000 just over a week ago). I got an initial offer $250, replied back high and got another offer for $500, and that is where is sits right now.

I am no real hurry and think I should probably get more for it, but part of me thinks $500 for a hand reg is a great start and I should take it anyway, at least as a reserve.

At first, I didn't know if it was someone in the industry of the kw (with lots of $$), or a domainer. After seeing a report of a sale of something similar but .com for $13,000, I realized it was likely a domainer.

I am thinking sending it to auction may be smart at this point, as there may be more interest in that niche now. What type of promotions do "offers that turn to auctions" get? Or, typically how do negotiations go, can they go high after a total low start, or not?

Thanks for any help. I'm just learning to play the game here and hoping for someone to share tips and experience! :laugh:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My first offer arrived Friday!!

Congrats!

I have a two word .org domain (for a big industry where org seems to be common) at SEDO. The .com is for sale DOTCOM agency for $110k, and a similar .com sold for $13,000 just over a week ago). I got an initial offer $250, replied back high and got another offer for $500, and that is where is sits right now.

I am no real hurry and think I should probably get more for it, but part of me thinks $500 for a hand reg is a great start and I should take it anyway, at least as a reserve.

Well if $500 makes you happy and satisfied then go for it. At the end of the day you are selling your domain at a great ROI.

At first, I didn't know if it was someone in the industry of the kw (with lots of $$), or a domainer. After seeing a report of a sale of something similar but .com for $13,000, I realized it was likely a domainer.

There are many fake sales reported every now and then. That $13k sale may be fake as well.

I am thinking sending it to auction may be smart at this point, as there may be more interest in that niche now. What type of promotions do "offers that turn to auctions" get? Or, typically how do negotiations go, can they go high after a total low start, or not?

Well it can go both ways. Its up to your luck anrd if somehow bidding war started, your domain can get a good price. But 99% of the time IMO you initial offer will be your final price.

Thanks for any help. I'm just learning to play the game here and hoping for someone to share tips and experience!
Welcome!

•••
:DThanks Pickpk, for the welcome and advice. :hi: It is in the nuclear industry so I am guessing there is a very small number of end users, but it is a lucrative industry.

I tried to find the $13k sale reported elsewhere and it is listed on Sedo as a recent sale, but who knows for sure. I think I will go the auction route and will be happy with $500 at the end of it. :D

I'l wait til tomorrow afternoon/evening to start it, I am guessing a weekday will be better. Both the offers have come in at around 5pm EST so I guess it is smart to have it end around that time.

•••
I thought you couldn't take it to auction on Sedo after you had countered. Am I wrong in that thinking?

•••
I thought that might be the case too, I thought you just got one shot! But it still shows it as an option with the 2nd, most recent offer from the buyer as being the reserve. See screenshot.

Maybe it is something new to get them more commission? :|

Edited to add, actually that sucks then, because, as a buyer, you can be all worked up and negotiated up to your brink, then have the seller send it to auction, with the starting bid you gave as the reserve, attracting attention. It makes it harder to get a deal right? I wonder how many counter offers in you can go and still send to auction, if it is a new thing.

Attachments

• auction start.png
    auction start.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back