Domain Empire

advice Someone help me understand Sedo.com PLEASE !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hchaglar

Established Member
Impact
Hi , I have a problem with understanding Sedo.com and its rules / criteria . Recently decided to sell a few domains online and Sedo.com was highly recommended . Because i dont really know anything about selling domains , I done as recommended and added my domains on Sedo's portfolio . One of my domains is '' e-athletes. com '' . I love that domain but i need to sell it. Anyways .. I tried to use their promotions to make it quick . Ordered a Top Domain Promotion first which declined by Sedo because my domain doesnt meet their '' criterias '' then ordered a GreatDomainsAuction promotion . Which i paid 9 euros for . They took the 9 euros but my domain didnt meet the '' criterias and declined . You can see the criterias and few examples of the domains that are accepted for both Top Domains and GreatDomainsAuction . Take a look and please tell me what you see .

First my Domain which doesnt meet the '' criteria ''

e-athletes.com ( e-athletes are also known as pro-gamers . Who are players of e- sports games . . U.S. finally now recognizes e-Sports players as professional athletes, and will grant them visas under '' e-athletes '' identifier . JFYI

GreatDomains Auction Criteria :

The domain is short, a real word and is easy to remember It is a generic domain, e.g. like car.com, creditcard.com or books.com
The domain is easy to spell and not prone to typographical errors
The domain is product-related and therefore has a high commercial value
The domain doesn't violate any third party rights (e.g. trademark rights)
The ccTLD geographically matches the language of the domain name
The reserve price for the domain is reasonable

Top Domain Criteria :

The domain must have been accepted by the Brokerage Team for Seller-Side Brokerage
The domain is short, a real word and is easy to remember It is a generic domain, e.g. like car.com, creditcard.com or books.com
The domain is easy to spell and not prone to typographical errors
The domain is product-related and therefore has a high commercial value
The domain doesn’t violate any third party rights (e.g. trademark rights)
The TLD geographically matches the language of the domain name.

e-athletes.com declined for both with this note . '' Quality requirements not met ''

You can find examples of the domains they have on lists .

Top Domains :

meilleuresventes.com cabosanlucas.com
vuelosavalencia.com fragrances.com
vuelosaalemania.com semiconductor.com
vuelosasevilla.com optometrist.com
vuelosaitalia.com babyblocks.com
transmissions.com constructoras.com
wwwloteriasyapuestas.es (yes it is listed exactly like that )

GreatDomains Auction :

weihnachtsdekorationen.de selbstständig.de
weihnachtsmänner.com seguromedico.com.mx
bestattungsinstitut.com pauschalurlaub.eu
geldgewinnen.net feuerlöscher.de
bestattungsinstitut.com wintermäntel.de

Please someone tell me '' what is the point '' ??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your domain is simply not premium. It is not a great domain, it is far from it.

1 in 10 people would connect e-"athletes".com to pro gamers. The domain has a hyphen and this does not even bring it close to great.

Not trying to be hard on you, just telling you my opinion.

Kind regards,

•••
Did u try to serach e-athletes on google ? It is not butchers or soldier not doctors who are going to search pro-gamers on google . It is the ones who are into gaming and e-sports and 9 in 10 gamers who play League of Legends and Dota - Dota 2 describe themselves as e-athletes . Please make a lil research on google which wouldnt take more than 5 mins for you to do and reply back please . Of course i respect your opinion but sponsors of Moba games , game developers and millions of fans are trying to get e-athletes to be recognised as pro-athletes . We are talking about a multi - billion dollars industry and their plans which they have announced already . Multi-billionair businessmen and companies backed the idea , millions of fans want to be identified as '' e-athletes '' , so how long do you think it is going to take for them to make it happen ?

•••
By the way can you please tell me what makes other domains that i listed above Great ?

•••
90% of top domains belongs to Sedo only.
Please avoid Great Domains Auction. Basically they consider LLLL, LLL.com or .DE.

•••
Sorry, but this domain is not premium.
There is no point in buying featured listings and the like. You are just wasting more money.
I think you should read more and analyze the market. Selling domains is more difficult than it sounds.

•••
Im having the same problem

•••
Kate . The question isnt what you think about '' e-athletes '' . If you can not bother to google e-athletes before you post your comment , you better dont post anything . Opinion with no knowledge means nothing to me . If my question was '' what do you think about my domain '' your answer would make sense . If you are going to post your opinion please be kind enough to write your reasons and knowledge about it too . If there are millions of people who identfy themselves as e-athletes and countries - governments that give visas under '' e-athletes '' identifier , that makes the term '' e-athletes '' a premium domain . I know that you can not bother to google it because knowledge is nothing to people like you but still have an opinion . I am attaching a few links for you guys to read before you reply . I am going to pick the links of the trusted big websites . Just read !

(not allowed to post links . Just add the '' www '' and see )

mensfitness.com/life/sports/how-e-athletes-train-gaming

chicagotribune.com/news/ct-video-game-scholarship-20140623-story.html

theverge.com/2014/6/19/5826158/college-athletic-scholarships-for-league-of-legends-players

forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/07/14/the-u-s-now-recognizes-esports-players-as-professional-athletes/

reddit.com/r/esports/comments/3n9wek/eathletes_are_now_making_more_than_you/

mainframeapparel.com/e-athletes/

worldfinancialdigest.com/contents/tech/1423-twitch-in-perspective-online-gaming-now-massive-spectator-sport

npr.org/2014/11/17/364760854/university-turns-to-e-sports-for-new-scholarship-opportunities

Now you can try to google the domains Sedo has on its GreatDomains and Top Domains list . I would be more than happy to see the results .

•••
it's not that good. pro-gamers is a cool name which you mentioned. I would be a little ashamed and upset if i was called an e-athlete. It just doesn't work! there is almost nothing athletic about it. it's a hit IMO.

•••
Did u try to serach e-athletes on google ? It is not butchers or soldier not doctors who are going to search pro-gamers on google . It is the ones who are into gaming and e-sports and 9 in 10 gamers who play League of Legends and Dota - Dota 2 describe themselves as e-athletes . Please make a lil research on google which wouldnt take more than 5 mins for you to do and reply back please . Of course i respect your opinion but sponsors of Moba games , game developers and millions of fans are trying to get e-athletes to be recognised as pro-athletes . We are talking about a multi - billion dollars industry and their plans which they have announced already . Multi-billionair businessmen and companies backed the idea , millions of fans want to be identified as '' e-athletes '' , so how long do you think it is going to take for them to make it happen ?

I did not mean to put down your domain, I am just stating that it is not a great domain. I am not disputing whether or not e-athlete is a thing or not, its just that "e-athletes" gives 21.000 total results in Google and its not something lots of people would associate with gaming, so this would naturally not make it as good of a domain as progamers.com for example. It does not sound right either, this takes away further from the value. Hyphen takes away further. 21K total results for the EXACT phrase is not much.

I am trying to help you out, I had live-strippers.com it was a "great" domain in my opinion, but I sold it for 200$ because thats what the market wanted to pay. Later on I came to my senses and realized that it was not a "great domain" because strippers.com would be a great domain.

As for SEDO-s example I bet 30-40% of their listed domains belong to domcollect, or SEDO-s own portfolio. They are a german based company and they value their own domains a bit too much IMO and use them as examples of "great domains" so take their examples with a pinch of salt.

•••
Your reply is clear and exactly the way i wanted . Most parts i get and I agree with you but still there are a few differances between e-athletes and live-strippers . Live-strippers seem to be a domain which was created because all the other domains like strippers.com were already taken . Two words , and has much better alternative domains for the same industry . But e-athletes is the exact term which is one word , short and easy to spell - easy to remember . The term is new and so is the industry. and but the industry is growing so quickly up. 21K total results is a great result for the start . We know that this term is going to be one of the most popular terms in near future . We didnt use the term '' selfie '' this often 2 years ago . e-athletes with millions of fans , with the sponsors and the potential of the industry going to be even more popular than other terms . As a plus , e-athletes is a term which is used mostly by the people who spend most of their time online . Think commercial and Ad - wise . Intel , IBM , HP , MSI , Seat , Coca Cola , Vodafone are only a few examples of official sponsors of the e-sports and most e-athletes . I am not going to sell this domain but i am going to build a community with the domain to show people why '' e-athletes .com '' is a great domain . I am going to invest in future .

REMEMBER : "They all laughed at Christopher Columbus/When he said the world was round"

Thank you for your reply .
Best Regards ,
Caglar

•••
First of all you should check your keyword in Google keyword planner. "e-athletes" has average monthly searches of 110, and competition of advertisers is low ("e athlete" has 170), which means that there aren't many businesses who want to rank this keyword.

Now I'm not a pro gamer but I often watch esport videos etc and literally "e-athlete" is not what you can hear often.

•••
Kate . The question isnt what you think about '' e-athletes '' . If you can not bother to google e-athletes before you post your comment , you better dont post anything .
You definitely sound defensive. The problem is that any domain can be defended like you just did. Yet there are better domains still waiting for a buyer. But if there is no plausible end user, it still doesn't matter. The name isn't worth much if there is no buyer.

So I am talking from a different perspective. I have a rough idea of what kinds of domains do sell. To begin with, hyphenated domains are not sought after, even when they make sense. You are already starting out with a handicap here. Don't believe this ? Research reported sales for the same patterns/keywords, especially hyphenated domains.

If you are saying Sedo has featured domains that are not so good, we would agree.
But some of those you quoted are in fact good - you just don't see why because they are foreign. What Sedo says doesn't matter if nobody wants to buy your domains.

If you think your domain is so good, you should not wait for a miracle to happen on Sedo. Instead, reach out to the potential end users and offer the name for sale. You'll see for yourself if there is any interest.

•••
Thank you for your reply Mike . I agree with you and its not what you can hear often but '' yet '' . I am saying this because its a new term . Riot games and Valve have declared their plans which are sponsored by huge cooperates , they aim to get e-sports and e-athletes to be recognised and respected as other sports . As a result BJK recently joined the fight . BJK , As of 3 March 2015, the club is ranked 57th in UEFA's overall club coefficient rankings . They are not going to be the last club

•••
Actually, the Greek philosopher Pythagoras said the world was round 2000 years before Columbus was born.

•••
Dear Kate ,

If you take a look at other replies from oother members , you are going to see the differance . I didnt ask if my domain was premium or not . It is a premium domain which has been recognised as a premium domain by Sedo , which has been suggested a higher price than other domains by Sedo.com brokerage department . Interested buyers already exist . You are just taking a look at the domain and telling me your opinion about the domain which isnt the point of this post . But still if i did sound offensive i apoligize . Please dont mind my temper . My question was , what makes the domains i listed above '' GreatDomains '' and e-athletes not ? The whole TopDomains and GreatDomains lists have many domains which deserve the title but there are many domains which dont . That was what annoyed me .

PS: I own many domains which meet the criteria as well but I dont believe that they have a better potential than e-athletes.com . I guess i will need to build the community and preve it to you .

" They all laughed at Christopher Columbus/When he said the world was round "

•••
Actually, the Greek philosopher Pythagoras said the world was round 2000 years before Columbus was born.
Apperantly he didnt say it loud or they didnt laff at him . Thank you for sharing . I am going to do a lil search about Pythagoras . But that makes sense to me . Probably he was sitting at one of the amazing Greek beaches enjoying the view . A good way to find it out .

•••
Hmm isn't an athlete a word to denote a physical act of doing a physical sport?

E - athlete is not a real term but maybe u can start a new site based around it.

Why waste your time trying to sell such a domain at a site like sedo anyways?

There are millions of domains parked as I'm sure u know and the odds someone will buy yours is miniscule even if it was categorized as a premium .

Move on and reg some better domains but don't expect to sell them thru any site and succeed. Buy lotto tickets if u want a miracle!

I've sold 8 domains thru sedo in 10 years and I've had some pretty decent domains compared to alot of junk ive seen.

U cannot rely on selling thru any site so maybe try contacting end users but again your domain is not that great. Don't marry them !

•••
Hmm isn't an athlete a word to denote a physical act of doing a physical sport?

E - athlete is not a real term but maybe u can start a new site based around it.

Why waste your time trying to sell such a domain at a site like sedo anyways?

There are millions of domains parked as I'm sure u know and the odds someone will buy yours is miniscule even if it was categorized as a premium .

Move on and reg some better domains but don't expect to sell them thru any site and succeed. Buy lotto tickets if u want a miracle!

I've sold 8 domains thru sedo in 10 years and I've had some pretty decent domains compared to alot of junk ive seen.

U cannot rely on selling thru any site so maybe try contacting end users but again your domain is not that great. Don't marry them !

I am not planning to sell my domain that i have mentioned already . You are right we dont use our fingers and reflexes while we play e-sport games . We dont have teams and coachs , we dont train , we dont need strategies . You are right from billard to snooker , buzkashi and barrel racing , golf , fishing , hunting ( killing birds and rabbits by weapons ) , model aerobatics , robot combat , then sailing and racing , chess , domino , backgammon , sudoku are sports and the players are athletes but we are not . Because if you ride the horse while the horse running that makes you an athlete , to drive the fastest car makes you an athlete too , it is only us who are not athletes because that annoys you . When it is football and a goal keeper doesnt even move during most games but you do consider him an athlete . That you can see in many other games too . Chess athletes probs running during the matches . Try to make a little research and see if an e - athlete or a car racer or chess player or jokey or a goal keeper does more phsical act during a game or tournament . When you fed your ignorance up , you can try another shot of comment.

•••
@hchaglar Your ignorance in domaining is exceedingly clear. Do you know how many people log on here and in their first post ask what something is worth? Then defend it when they don't get the answer they want? Happens everyday. Everything said here is true. Regardless of what the domain "means", it's not premium and has a hyphen. Sedo isn't going to waste their time selling a sub $100 domain, if they get lucky. As for the other, the rules clearly say you will not get your money back, even if they don't accept your name. Very, very few people are looking for this word. if you want to prove everyone wrong, build a site, develop it, advertise it, build content and grow. In 10 or 15 years you may have defined what an e-athlete is and you can get a little more for the name.

•••
@hchaglar Your ignorance in domaining is exceedingly clear. Do you know how many people log on here and in their first post ask what something is worth? Then defend it when they don't get the answer they want? Happens everyday. Everything said here is true. Regardless of what the domain "means", it's not premium and has a hyphen. Sedo isn't going to waste their time selling a sub $100 domain, if they get lucky. As for the other, the rules clearly say you will not get your money back, even if they don't accept your name. Very, very few people are looking for this word. if you want to prove everyone wrong, build a site, develop it, advertise it, build content and grow. In 10 or 15 years you may have defined what an e-athlete is and you can get a little more for the name.
My question was clear and it wasnt what '' e-athletes '' mean , not '' what do you think about e-sports or e-athletes '' , wasnt '' can i get my money back '' , clearly wasnt '' what you think worth of my domain '' . I asked a question for people who have knowledge about the system to share it with me and make me understand . If you take a look you can see how clearly and nicely DomainLead Finder and Mike Y told me what was the problem with my domain . I asked for knowledge not for opinions of people since this is not a political subject . So I dont care what people think about e-sports , e-athletes , video games , black people , cats , nor war . My question was about Sedo.com and its system . I wanted to know why Sedo accepted some domains which were questionable for me but mine not . Someone told me that 21 K results wasnt enough , another one mentioned the monthly keyword searches of the term , someone mentioned that the other domains which i found questionable were not bad but they were foreign and that is why i couldnt get them . Such comments are helpfull and I thank them . Clear enough ?

•••
•••
What are you trying to say?
What i am saying is , I asked for help from people who have the knowledge about Sedo and domains . Some people helped me understand . I am not defending my domain , I was defending e-sports and e-athletes because people misunderstood my question somehow and they started to post their opinions about e-sports and e-athletes . Your only sentence which answers my questions is '' it's not premium and has a hyphen '' . Rest of your message is just unnecessarily , offensive , insulting .

•••
So you are defending e-sports and e-athletes?

•••
Did you understand my question ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back