IT.COM

poll Sold name at first offer.. do you sell at first offer usually or not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

do you usually sell at first offer received or not?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • never

• always

• most times

• rarely

• just depends

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

alcy

Top Member
Impact
I told myself to try not to sell at first offer.. but then at same time, I had more than one disappointing occasion where I countered and never heard from buyer... even after reducing my counter a few times (sometimes even going down to his original offer lol... and still no reply!).......

I guess it can go either way..... done is done I guess... of course, I also evaluate countering or not by name itself.. its potential value... and definitely extension too.. so given this is .biz... I suppose many will agree I should not have countered... and then some will probably say I should have countered... seeing on sedo the buyer regged there only in 2018... and had no buy activity bars showing... did help me decide too.

so anyway.. the name is below... and I thought I'd make a nice poll out of it too while im at it...

block group
..biz

800$.....6 months old handreg.....sedo offer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I always just put a BIN on my domains. I'd say you did very well on this sale though. Well Done.

•••
I always just put a BIN on my domains. I'd say you did very well on this sale though. Well Done.

yes for sure.. bin makes it all very different from makeoffer.. but that does not really conclusively say if you'd be getting higher price from offer or bin... one excludes the other.. so if you sell domainx.com at bin.. yuou will just never ever know what you'd get for it if you negotiated the final price :)

•••
Nice for a two word .biz
Sometimes they wont budge on the price if you counter higher and after a few days they cool off and walk away from the name. In this case, I think you did right.

•••
I just had an offer on GD for a name (highly liquid name in .com), countered and haven't heard back (been over 5 days now) --- they should at least counter-offer because the original was a joke anyway.

For a 2 word .biz I'd take the money and run otherwise it may never sell :)

•••
I told myself to try not to sell at first offer.. but then at same time, I had more than one disappointing occasion where I countered and never heard from buyer... even after reducing my counter a few times (sometimes even going down to his original offer lol... and still no reply!).......

I guess it can go either way..... done is done I guess... of course, I also evaluate countering or not by name itself.. its potential value... and definitely extension too.. so given this is .biz... I suppose many will agree I should not have countered... and then some will probably say I should have countered... seeing on sedo the buyer regged there only in 2018... and had no buy activity bars showing... did help me decide too.

so anyway.. the name is below... and I thought I'd make a nice poll out of it too while im at it...

block group
..biz

800$.....6 months old handreg.....sedo offer.

Man its an inbound offer (it's like he begging for the name) you have full control of your sale. Go ahead accept it or simply don't fear about anything & give him an acceptable "Counteroffer".

If I was you I would choose the 2nd option.

I love inbound offers in this you are at upper hand not like outbound where people spam hunderd email adress & get $200 sales.

•••
•••
once i got $800 for geo .com on godaddy and i countered for $1200 and the buyer went silent for 2 months, later i ask help from @Joe Styler the very same buyer were reduced their offer to $400, i accept the $400 offer but no more answer and its already more than 1 month since i accept the $400 offer...

•••
I accepted once a $1,000 offer and buyer changed his mind, after asking he said his partners are not agreeing and then after a few email exchanges was ready to buy it at $750.

Always counter, even at slightly higher than customer's offer.

•••
Once the reserve is matched I let it go. I know the consensus on here is always counter - Do the math? If you buy/sell great domains and have a high sell-through rate vs needing 1 sale.

I've developed a stoic attitude towards all my domains - As Sol Orwell said his domainer friends are still "Developing" their domains 15 years later......... What does that tell you

I keep a very attractive reserve which 98% of the time is accepted and I let the domains go - I don't even bother to enter in conversation.

Money in escrow - Goodbye have a nice day.

All the domains I've sold have developed into great companies

YiIU3zxT9Nc9XwNxS0VQ_CXOai_Color.png

•••
FYI - I sell 6/7 figures names the same way

like Monitors dot [KING]

Reserve is ................. least conversation as possible. Money in escrow - Goodbye Goodluck

It's not about me - "Domainers" IMO need to show genuine buyers more respect. The money companies are parting with is hard-earned capital which 90% of the time has peoples livelihoods on the line

Last edited:
•••
I love inbound offers in this you are at upper hand ...
Yeah, but not always. I had an inbound last month. I countered higher, he went up a tiny bit but no higher. I came back lower after a while, he then offered even lower. I rejected that, then he offered even lower. Basically once he saw me approach his offer, he started countering lower. I wasnt going to play that game, but he never went back up to his original high offer. I just rejected him after all that. So you never know whats going to happen.

Last edited:
•••
I always counter an offer ,I think they have more budget than the initial offer.

Ps. Sometime I will sold at first offer if the domain I really don't want to renew it. 😃

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
that's a solid price for a .biz sale, im surprised by it in fact. congrats

•••
that's a solid price for a .biz sale, im surprised by it in fact. congrats

thanks... well i think the general idea is that any 2 word biz sale is a nice and rare suprise imo... i mean with so many nice 1word biz dropping daily..taken in many extensions.. and people dont even bother to rereg those..

cheers

•••
If buyer really wants it he will come back to you. For example on a domain of mine I received a low offer I countered at 21x higher than the low offer.

Weeks later I got an email saying that they’d offered a certain amount (which was just about 9% below my counter) and would I accept it.

I answered honestly that I had somehow missed their email, accepted the offer, we went into escrow with buyer paying all fees and escrow closed just fine.

Point being that if a buyer wants a domain he will chase you to close the deal. I should have responded to that email but whether it ended up in my spam or I missed it in my inbox or maybe buyer forgot to click Send I didn’t see it.

*Over all I’ve been a little more giving with my acceptances lately. If the offer is within about 10% of my full asking price I don’t counter I just accept it. Or if their second offer after my counter is within 20% of my asking price I sometimes lately go for that too. No hard and fast formula just saying that lately I don’t push for every penny of my asking price.

For a two word biz like that one I think that’s all the money. The block is only reason it sold at all probably something to do with block chain?

Last edited:
•••
thanks... well i think the general idea is that any 2 word biz sale is a nice and rare suprise imo... i mean with so many nice 1word biz dropping daily..taken in many extensions.. and people dont even bother to rereg those..

cheers
The popularity of the extension has drastically dwindled over the past few years. So imo any .biz sale is a win

•••
For each domain name I have my vision (can be totally different from what most people think) what that should sell for. So:

- If the initial offer is higher then that (well, rarely), I immediately accept, no counters.

- If the initial offer is less then that - I counter to the level I think is the value of the domain name.

I do not care much what buyer tells me - I would rather wait for another buyer for few years, then to sell good name for low.

just imo :)

•••
A lifetime of negotiators tell you to never accept the first inbound offer for about 10 great solid reasons.

An offer for $800, you could have countered with $1200 and they would have either been fine with it, offered somewhere in between, or told you that $800 is their max.

Either way, you make them invest themselves into the interaction, through discussion or monetarily.

This way even if you end up accepting their 1st offer, they won't feel like they overpaid and will follow through instead of backing out.

Anyone can do what they want, and great .biz sale btw, but its negotiations 101 to never accept the first offer.

Last edited:
•••
I remember one time I countered a guy that offered me $1000 to $1500 and the guy never talked to me again...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If the offer is good I'd take it unless its a top-level domain and you know you can get way more for it.

•••
I accepted once a $1,000 offer and buyer changed his mind, after asking he said his partners are not agreeing and then after a few email exchanges was ready to buy it at $750.

Always counter, even at slightly higher than customer's offer.
This is true. Even buyers play these games. If you accept the first offer, they will assume they can work their way down on the price because you were so eager to accept the first offer they made.

Even if you're happy with the first offer, you counter. It's psychology. In most cases, this is the way. Out of hundreds of deals, I can only think of a handful of deals where I lost deals because I countered. You have more to lose if you're giving away the upperhand. Further, you can still make a deal even if they don't like your counter. But your goal is to start high and go down, not start at the middle and then end up too low.

Note: There is a difference between a marketplace deal vs a negotiated deal (you personally or brokered). I'm talking about a negotiated deal.

Last edited:
•••
This is true. Even buyers play these games. If you accept the first offer, they will assume they can work their way down on the price because you were so eager to accept the first offer they made.

Even if you're happy with the first offer, you counter. It's psychology. In most cases, this is the way. Out of hundreds of deals, I can only think of a handful of deals where I lost deals because I countered. You have more to lose if you're giving away the upperhand. Further, you can still make a deal even if they don't like your counter. But your goal is to start high and go down, not start at the middle and then end up too low.

well this applies only for direct inbound email offers or non binding sale landers etc..

once your buyer accepts your offer on sedo.. or other similar markets... what you say about working his way down on the price no longer applies. but you do make good point about non binding inquiry leads... for those sky is the limit and anything can go... thats like a whole different ballgame... cause buyers are also aware its much less binding for them to just be exchanging offers by email.. whereas sedo offers.. gd.. etc... feel differently to buyer. plus they just can't go down if you accept their first offer period.

•••
If you wish to accept the initial offer you may do so by engaging them then later accepting. This is a little beyond simple Negotiations 101.

In many cases engagement should be done before any price is even presented. It just depends on what exactly the inquiry is and how it’s worded.

How exactly you engage them though may make all the difference. And that’s Advanced Negotiations 204.

Last edited:
•••
Back