Domain Empire

.mobi Sold! My first .MOBI resale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dag

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
:$: I just completed the sale of FreeRingTunes.mobi for $300. Not a ton of cash, I realize, and far less than FreeRingTones went for via Pool auction, but I'm happy with it. I wasn't so sure about the "ringtunes" part being worth all that much down the road, and I've got a large number of other registrations of more clearly valuable .MOBI names that I'd like to have some help paying for.

However, I turned around and put half of that sale into some first names (encouraged after reading JeremyP's posts about them):

BELA.MOBI
CECELIA.MOBI
JONAH.MOBI
LAURYN.MOBI
ROWAN.MOBI (also a last name, but no prob -- there are 17 million Google results for this name)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good for you!!

Good use of the $.

dagersh said:
:$: I just completed the sale of FreeRingTunes.mobi for $300. Not a ton of cash, I realize, and far less than FreeRingTones went for via Pool auction, but I'm happy with it. I wasn't so sure about the "ringtunes" part being worth all that much down the road, and I've got a large number of other registrations of more clearly valuable .MOBI names that I'd like to have some help paying for.

However, I turned around and put half of that sale into some first names (encouraged after reading JeremyP's posts about them):

BELA.MOBI
CECELIA.MOBI
JONAH.MOBI
LAURYN.MOBI
ROWAN.MOBI (also a last name, but no prob -- there are 17 million Google results for this name)

•••
•••
Congrats, well done, that's a damn good return on your investment, especially so early on!

Who's buying domains in the secondary market already?? It wasn't you again, Jeremy, was it? Either way, this is a good sign of things to come...

•••
Thanks all! I was pleased with the return. I had placed it on Ebay for an inflated price that had everything to do with "FreeRingTones.mobi" selling for $9000 and nothing to do with anything else, and partway into the auction, I was approached by the buyer via e-mail saying that if it didn't sell via Ebay, he'd be interested in buying it for a lesser amount. He actually originally said he'd give me $1000 for it, but then a couple of days later (still before the auction ended) wrote to say that he'd rethought it and couldn't go that high. After some negotiation, we settled on the final amount of $300. All went smoothly with escrow, and now I can blow the money on other .mobi's, rather than being responsible and putting it toward paying my credit card! :)

To wit, I just bought two more, in addition to the names mentioned at the beginning of this thread:

BJORK.MOBI (I don't think she could've trademarked it, as it's a real Icelandic first name)

TAOTECHING.MOBI (sort of like reg'ing "thebible.mobi" if you're a Taoist)

•••
•••
•••
TaoTeChing

TaoTeChing.mobi is great!

People can read that on their mobile phone anywhere..
Especially in Asia..

always inspiriing words..

I have HolyQuran.mobi

and also..

TaoTeChing.name & TaoTeChing.biz hehe

Regards,

•••
cy4uim said:
TaoTeChing.mobi is great!

Thanks! Yes, I was pretty excited to see it available. In fact, it may be the easiest .mobi I have that I could develop. If there's anything that would NOT require fancy graphics, it's the text of the Tao Te Ching. I'm sure I could find it already in text file form somewhere, so I don't need to type out the whole thing myself.

***Added a short while later...***

Well, well, well...I just found out who purchased "FreeRingtunes.mobi" from me by checking the Whois. None other than the purchaser of 6 of the .mobi names on the Domain Name Journal's Global Contenders Top 20 list! His top one on that list was Call.mobi...not too bad a name, eh? The rest of his .mobi portfolio is pretty darn impressive as well. Jeremy, you guys should talk.

I suppose this means he could have easily afforded more than $300, but hey, I'm still happy with the sale...the domain wasn't quite on par with, say, MyBank.mobi, another one of his purchases. (He also owns Banking.mobi.)

Nice thing is, at the end of our transaction, he expressed an interest in buying a couple of my other .mobi names (which I declined -- unless he was willing to offer a substantial amount -- due to not wanting to let them go yet), so now I know that those may be particularly valuable down the road. :)

Very interesting...and he might very well be among us here, reading even now... :ghost:

Last edited:
•••
I like bjork and rowan, very good domains. I didn't reg it just for lack of budget.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back