IT.COM

Sold a domain but buyer didn't change contact data, issue?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello all,

I've sold many domains, but sometimes the new owner neglects to change the admin and tech info. I still receive ICANN updates from the registrar where the new owner keeps the name telling me to update the info and make sure it's correct. But I no longer own the name.

I've contacted ICANN directly and they don't care. And I contacted the new registrar and they want me to send photo copies of my ID and utility bills. I'm not inclined to do this. Is this an issue? Shouldn't they be contacting the owner of the name and not the former owner?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
New owners problem to change the contact info.

•••
•••
•••
OK, I will try it. But the registrar said they won't change anything without me sending in ID. Maybe if the link comes via ICANN they will? We shall see.
The registrar won't even know it's you. Make sure you mark to not disclose your email. I had to do that on one of mine and it got changed in about a week.

•••
Okay, godaddy and namecheap, when one transfer a domain from one account to another, give you an option to have that domain now have the new owners information.
Surely all registrars are like that?

•••
You have already done more than most people would. It's the registrant's responsibility to keep these up to date.

•••
You need to report the issue to ICCAN and follow the form given to you by uterious. I t is not ok for you to leave it just like that because if there is any problem you will be taken as the offender.
Cheer.

•••
Shouldnt you be emailing new owner to direct them to change such details as a polite gesture?

•••
Shouldnt you be emailing new owner to direct them to change such details as a polite gesture?

I sold the name via GoDaddy Auctions and do not have the new owners name or info.

•••
A lot of domains I sold still have my contact details, sometimes the contact info is not updated automatically during a domain push/transfer. I faced no problems, the only ones contacting me were people who wanted to buy the domain for much higher than what I sold it for. I had to keep directing them to the new owner. Lucky him :)

•••
Hello all,

I've sold many domains, but sometimes the new owner neglects to change the admin and tech info. I still receive ICANN updates from the registrar where the new owner keeps the name telling me to update the info and make sure it's correct. But I no longer own the name.

I've contacted ICANN directly and they don't care. And I contacted the new registrar and they want me to send photo copies of my ID and utility bills. I'm not inclined to do this. Is this an issue? Shouldn't they be contacting the owner of the name and not the former owner?

Send a mail to the new owner and inform him to change the contact info and you'll become guilt free.

Forward him the icann and other mails regularly, and you'll become an exceptional human being.

Pay for his renewals and other charges, and you'll be canonized to sainthood..

•••
Send a mail to the new owner and inform him to change the contact info and you'll become guilt free.

Forward him the icann and other mails regularly, and you'll become an exceptional human being.

lol realistic approach much?

•••
Actually it is the new owners responsibility to change those data. Technically, if a domain has your info as a Registrant, you can claim it again. No new owner wants that. And there are more drastic cases :) I sold a domain via Flippa and the owner has not pulled it yet (he has not opened an account to the registrar and not used the auth_code for pulling). :)

Sometime people buy domains and then lose interest...

•••
Actually it is the new owners responsibility to change those data. Technically, if a domain has your info as a Registrant, you can claim it again. No new owner wants that. And there are more drastic cases :) I sold a domain via Flippa and the owner has not pulled it yet (he has not opened an account to the registrar and not used the auth_code for pulling). :)

Sometime people buy domains and then lose interest...

So true!!

I sold a domain not too long ago, The buyer did make the payment, and never replied to my mails again, I kept on asking for account info to push the name, but to no avail.
Eventually, I created a new account on the buyer's details, and gave them the account info. They haven't as yet taken it.

Some buyers are way too lazy I suppose.

•••
I fail to see why someone would pay for a domain and then not assume ownership, it's madness.

•••

You should have read the entire thread. Two posts above your post he said he did NOT have the new owners contact information.

•••
In his first post the OP said the new owner did not change the Admin and Tech Contacts.Which presumably means he has his own info in the Registrant Info. It's all he needs to retain ownership of the domain. I agree with @ulterios, the OP should complain to ICANN in the form he provided a link to earlier in this thread.

•••
In his first post the OP said the new owner did not change the Admin and Tech Contacts.Which presumably means he has his own info in the Registrant Info. It's all he needs to retain ownership of the domain. I agree with @ulterios, the OP should complain to ICANN in the form he provided a link to earlier in this thread.

Actually, it shows me as registrant too. He/she didn't change anything.

•••
•••
Actually, it shows me as registrant too. He/she didn't change anything.
Well I would file that form ASAP, it's quick to fill out. That way you can get your name off of it and be clear of the name. Not that it's going to be bad if it's still there, but I would do it ASAP just to play safe.

•••
Well I would file that form ASAP, it's quick to fill out. That way you can get your name off of it and be clear of the name. Not that it's going to be bad if it's still there, but I would do it ASAP just to play safe.

I filled out the form as soon as you recommended it... I did not get an email from ICANN saying it was received... but the web page showed as sent.

•••
I filled out the form as soon as you recommended it... I did not get an email from ICANN saying it was received... but the web page showed as sent.
Yeah, it did that to me as well. A couple of days later I received an email saying that the report has been forwarded to the registrar. A little while after that I received an email saying that the contact information was updated. I checked and it was.

It shouldn't take too long and then you will be removed. I did it myself just because I didn't want to be associated with the domain just in case the new owner turned out to be some kind of nut case or something. LOL

•••
I made a mistake some time a go and did not check the box for contact changes when I pushed a GoDaddy domain to buyer's account. Had to send a couple of emails to the buyer, requesting a change.

•••
So, here is ICANN's email response. It appears I cannot submit a change since all the registrant info is still mine, they consider it my domain - even though I sold it. Uh vey.

"Thank you for submitting a Whois Inaccuracy complaint concerning the domain name xxxxxx. ICANN has reviewed and closed your complaint because:

- Your complaint is regarding your own domain name. Please contact your domain name registrar directly. You may find a list of ICANN-accredited registrar at http://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accredited-list.html

ICANN considers this matter now closed."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back