Dynadot

discuss Soft sales in 2017, anyone else?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Do you guys have the same experience?
I have like 1/2 the rate I used to have in 2016! Anyone else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As noted on another thread, fairly regular lowball offers but not many sales.

•••
So you sell only outbound? Can you please give us an example of a name you had/have? Interesting you have such a fantastic rate that's all :)
I do not do outbound. All sales are passive/inbound. They come in via landing page BIN/payment plan/offer-counter offer negotiations, and I also get sales via Afternic's network, and I also have a small BB portfolio that's performing well.

•••
I mainly sell names in the $1000-8000 range at BIN, but also accept many inbound offers in the $500-1000 range. My average sales price is $1750.

My portfolio size is in the 1000-2000 range.

Considering the number of domains and average sales which matters most when you say how many domains you sold, it's still very impressive and great going!
Thanks for sharing :)

•••
Considering the number of domains and average sales which matters most when you say how many domains you sold, it's still very impressive and great going!
Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks! Care to share your sales experience over the summer? You hold a great portfolio, so it would be interesting to get some insights on your recent sales experience and thoughts on the market right now.

•••
Thanks! Care to share your sales experience over the summer? You hold a great portfolio, so it would be interesting to get some insights on your recent sales experience and thoughts on the market right now.

It's been one of the slowest years until August since I started making sales in 6 figures a year for last some years. So in August I made big changes and that change might not be something big enough for some others but I have started seeing some improvement.

For the first time, I made 95% of my domains to BIN at Afternic and Sedo whereas before that, I never put any of domain at BIN.
Second change I did was to drop in prices for almost all of my domains. I mean to all those domains which I have put up for BIN.

So in August and September for which we are almost at half stage, I'm seeing people inquiring through my sales lander have been responding well since the price is well within their range compare to past. Although I haven't seen huge change or started making your level of sales (numbers) ;) but I feel these changes would definitely bring in some extra sales which is my main focus right now than to buy.

I'm aiming towards making more number of sales and not look for maximum ROI which I targeted for the last some years. But that's only for the 95% domains and not the rest which I tend to hold for the fortune ;)

•••
It's been one of the slowest years until August since I started making sales in 6 figures a year for last some years. So in August I made big changes and that change might not be something big enough for some others but I have started seeing some improvement.

For the first time, I made 95% of my domains to BIN at Afternic and Sedo whereas before that, I never put any of domain at BIN.
Second change I did was to drop in prices for almost all of my domains. I mean to all those domains which I have put up for BIN.

So in August and September for which we are almost at half stage, I'm seeing people inquiring through my sales lander have been responding well since the price is well within their range compare to past. Although I haven't seen huge change or started making your level of sales (numbers) ;) but I feel these changes would definitely bring in some extra sales which is my main focus right now than to buy.

I'm aiming towards making more number of sales and not look for maximum ROI which I targeted for the last some years. But that's only for the 95% domains and not the rest which I tend to hold for the fortune ;)

Good thinking bro. Go product.

•••
Sales are down because of the crypto market.

Alot of domain money is now being pumped into crypto.

I know some strong players in the domain industry who are selling off their portfolios to invest on cryptos.

This is why auction venues have dropped in sales.

Its a chain reaction.

•••
•••

I know some strong players in the domain industry who are selling off their portfolios to invest on cryptos.

Its a chain reaction.
While the crypto market has diverted some of the investment money that would otherwise have gone into domains, I believe the effect on end user sales to be minimal as a result of this, and I don't think cryptos would cause a significant drop in end-sales. I.e. the amount of end user buying names for projects in industries like health, design, eCommerce, travel, etc. is not massively impacted by crypto investments by domainers. And end-users buying financial term keywords has certainly increased recently, as a result of the recent crypto boom(/bubble).

As for reseller prices, these would obviously be affected by domainers putting their money into crypto instead of buying domains. It seems that especially in the high quality range ($1000+), that prices have decreased, compared with what these names would have fetched earlier, and I have seen many names bought earlier this year flipped at a loss at NameJet in recent months.

However, in the lower end, and especially sub $500, I find there to have been a notable increase in both prices, as well as competition, despite money going into cryptos. It appears that the sheer amount of domainers, both new and established, and individuals and corporate buyers, that are currently buying in this price range has increased to such an extent that it offsets any downturn in prices that might have been brought about by crypto investments. On the other hand, prices might have increased even more in this price range if the recent developments in cryptos had not occured.

What do others think about this? Has crypto investments brought about a good buying opportunity at the various auction houses? Is it easier or more difficult to buy names at reasonable prices now than it was prior to crypto values skyrocketing?

•••
While the crypto market has diverted some of the investment money that would otherwise have gone into domains, I believe the effect on end user sales to be minimal as a result of this, and I don't think cryptos would cause a significant drop in end-sales. I.e. the amount of end user buying names for projects in industries like health, design, eCommerce, travel, etc. is not massively impacted by crypto investments by domainers. And end-users buying financial term keywords has certainly increased recently, as a result of the recent crypto boom(/bubble).

As for reseller prices, these would obviously be affected by domainers putting their money into crypto instead of buying domains. It seems that especially in the high quality range ($1000+), that prices have decreased, compared with what these names would have fetched earlier, and I have seen many names bought earlier this year flipped at a loss at NameJet in recent months.

However, in the lower end, and especially sub $500, I find there to have been a notable increase in both prices, as well as competition, despite money going into cryptos. It appears that the sheer amount of domainers, both new and established, and individuals and corporate buyers, that are currently buying in this price range has increased to such an extent that it offsets any downturn in prices that might have been brought about by crypto investments. On the other hand, prices might have increased even more in this price range if the recent developments in cryptos had not occured.

What do others think about this? Has crypto investments brought about a good buying opportunity at the various auction houses? Is it easier or more difficult to buy names at reasonable prices now than it was prior to crypto values skyrocketing?

I agree with a lot of what you say.

Back to my own personal experience selling to domainers the last 2 years in particular (can't speak about end user sales like you, I rarely sell big to end users, most are total time wasters, congrats to you for experiencing different and getting so many to convert).

Expired auctions are going for insane prices most of the time. Okay names in public auctions have crashed in value from my experience in the last year approx, i've seen that myself in the lower end of quality on the market. Even decent potential two word .coms can often be bought at a fraction of what they were going for. The discrepancy between expiring auctions and public is wide right now in the main which I find silly, i've bought many names on public auctions and flipped to end users through outreach for good ROI.

What is selling well are short domains, good one worders and two word .coms that have massive end user potential/huge search volume something like digitalphotography.com that sold massive on NJ recently for example are really doing well right now.

•••
I agree with a lot of what you say.

Back to my own personal experience selling to domainers the last 2 years in particular (can't speak about end user sales like you, I rarely sell big to end users, most are total time wasters, congrats to you for experiencing different and getting so many to convert).

Expired auctions are going for insane prices most of the time. Okay names in public auctions have crashed in value from my experience in the last year approx, i've seen that myself in the lower end of quality on the market. Even decent potential two word .coms can often be bought at a fraction of what they were going for. The discrepancy between expiring auctions and public is wide right now in the main which I find silly, i've bought many names on public auctions and flipped to end users through outreach for good ROI.

What is selling well are short domains, good one worders and two word .coms that have massive end user potential/huge search volume something like digitalphotography.com that sold massive on NJ recently for example are really doing well right now.
I've noticed that certain private seller names at NameJet are being masqueraded as expiring pre-release names. They go through the expired domain feed, often as private pre-release, though sometimes public too (which expired names from certain registrar partners do too), and have no reserves. They are indistinguishable from expiring names, and to my knowledge, the only thing that gives them away as private seller names is whois/expiry/registrar details.

I've bought a lot of names from private sellers in this way at NameJet, and I usually did not realize it until after the auction had ended that it wasn't an expired domain, but a private seller name.

I assume these names fetch identical prices to expired domains? It seems like this move by NJ would bridge the price discrepancy between expired/private seller names for sellers that opt for this "presentation" of the names.

Last edited:
•••
I've noticed that certain private seller names at NameJet are being masqueraded as expiring pre-release names. They go through the expired domain feed, often as private pre-release, though sometimes public too (which expired names from certain registrar partners do too), and have no reserves. They are indistinguishable from expiring names, and to my knowledge, the only thing that gives them away as private seller names is whois/expiry/registrar details.

I've bought a lot of names from private sellers in this way at NameJet, and I usually did not realize it until after the auction had ended that it wasn't an expired domain, but a private seller name.

I assume these names fetch identical prices to expired domains? It seems like this move by NJ would bridge the price discrepancy between expired/private seller names for sellers that opt for this "presentation" of the names.

You have the option as a seller to list as a public auction or private anyone can do it, I just choose to do public auctions personally. Just wanted to clarify that.

•••
You have the option as a seller to list as a public auction or private anyone can do it, I just choose to do public auctions personally. Just wanted to clarify that.
You mentioned that there is a significant price discrepancy between what expired names fetch, and what private seller names fetch. Indeed, this has been evident for a long time, at GoDaddy as well, expired names demand far higher prices than similar private seller autions.

So my point was that since it's possible to send names through namejet and have them look exactly like expired names, that should be a way to correct this pricing disparity between expired and private seller names. If your name 100% looks like an expired pre-release, there is nothing to deter domainers from backordering and bidding on it, and I don't see any reason why it would end up with a lower sales price than if it was a "true" expired name in this scenario. Names that are setup like this at NameJet are bid up just like the expired pre-release names are, because unless you check whois, there is no way to tell them apart.

•••
You mentioned that there is a significant price discrepancy between what expired names fetch, and what private seller names fetch. Indeed, this has been evident for a long time, at GoDaddy as well, expired names demand far higher prices than similar private seller autions.

So my point was that since it's possible to send names through namejet and have them look exactly like expired names, that should be a way to correct this pricing disparity between expired and private seller names. If your name 100% looks like an expired pre-release, there is nothing to deter domainers from backordering and bidding on it, and I don't see any reason why it would end up with a lower sales price than if it was a "true" expired name in this scenario. Names that are setup like this at NameJet are bid up just like the expired pre-release names are, because unless you check whois, there is no way to tell them apart.

Interesting point, I can't comment on the results of such auctions i've never experimented with private listings. I did think that if you sold privately in bulk it would show other names from seller and so you would know it was a private seller selling not an expiring domain. Not 100% on that though.

•••

Its a chain reaction.
And social media..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back