Dynadot

discuss Soft sales in 2017, anyone else?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Do you guys have the same experience?
I have like 1/2 the rate I used to have in 2016! Anyone else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very slow half of 2017 so far. Nowhere near to what it was last year at same time.
Most probably the reason behind is new gTLDs and once the noise is cleared, I expect to see things getting better.
I don't know if it will ever clear. Domainers understand the pitfalls of the new gtlds since we talk and read about them all the time. An end user has no clue about any of this and sees a shorter clearer version of a name they want as a positive, plus the fact that they can register it for 25 bucks instead of paying at least a few grand for the .com version. Unless they understand the negatives of gtlds we may never see sales increase again. Gtlds are slowly becoming more known to main street every single day. Our train possibly could have switched tracks and it may never come back. Time will tell but it's not looking good so far.

•••
Unless I'm marketing my names heavily I've had very few sales.
You are always marketing your names heavy and especially on Flippa so you are the perfect person to ask. Do the majority of your sales go to end users or domainers? I have always searched for the unicorn end user but I am starting to rethink that strategy and maybe should be focusing on other domainers. The domainer market was created from D2D sales (domainer to domainer) so would love to hear your thoughts on it.

•••
JMO here and I admit, not fully researched : I believe it's not the new g's. Instead it's the big G, who have turned Internet into a place for only a few (their heavily funded friends).

Right now, no person in their right mind would put money in a big e-commerce site and compete directly with Amazon. Similar things, in other sectors. Go back just 4 years, 2013, and anyone could get in the action. Even with an EMD or a mini site.

•••
You are always marketing your names heavy and especially on Flippa so you are the perfect person to ask. Do the majority of your sales go to end users or domainers? I have always searched for the unicorn end user but I am starting to rethink that strategy and maybe should be focusing on other domainers. The domainer market was created from D2D sales (domainer to domainer) so would love to hear your thoughts on it.
Majority are end users and flippa has a lot of end user buyers. I highly recommend flippa and for marketing I've found the front page upgrade and the the newsletter promotions to be the best to catch their eye.

Other domainers typically aren't willing to spend the kind of money on domains that end users are. Flippa is also a great venue to bring additional end users to.. list an auction and then email potential buyers informing them the auction is live..

Last edited:
•••
I don't know if it will ever clear. Domainers understand the pitfalls of the new gtlds since we talk and read about them all the time. An end user has no clue about any of this and sees a shorter clearer version of a name they want as a positive, plus the fact that they can register it for 25 bucks instead of paying at least a few grand for the .com version. Unless they understand the negatives of gtlds we may never see sales increase again. Gtlds are slowly becoming more known to main street every single day. Our train possibly could have switched tracks and it may never come back. Time will tell but it's not looking good so far.

I'm very much optimistic of things getting better in coming years if not this year because endusers will eventually realize the true value of .com when they will start noticing the traffic leak towards .com, people mistype and remember it's .com instead of their .crap.

At that time, price of .com will be on rise as the times goes by. It's all about being patient and keep buying the good .com domains.

•••
I'm very much optimistic of things getting better in coming years if not this year because endusers will eventually realize the true value of .com when they will start noticing the traffic leak towards .com, people mistype and remember it's .com instead of their .crap.

At that time, price of .com will be on rise as the times goes by. It's all about being patient and keep buying the good .com domains.
People have been talking about lost traffic for more than a decade. I don't think that matters to endusers that have a budget under $5,000. The one thing I do think that matters is .com has always been the gold standard and end users didn't want to go with a .net, .co or any other lower level extension because in their mind they would be slumming.

Now I think they truly believe that when comparing a name head to head like boostmedia.com or boost.media that they are not stepping down by using the .media but actually see a gtld as equally appealing and not a second tier name like a .net. I have to admit that gtlds are much better looking and sexier than a .com. If a name can be sexy. :) I think you know what I mean.

•••
People have been talking about lost traffic for more than a decade. I don't think that matters to endusers that have a budget under $5,000. The one thing I do think that matters is .com has always been the gold standard and end users didn't want to go with a .net, .co or any other lower level extension because in their mind they would be slumming.

Now I think they truly believe that when comparing a name head to head like boostmedia.com or boost.media that they are not stepping down by using the .media but actually see a gtld as equally appealing and not a second tier name like a .net. I have to admit that gtlds are much better looking and sexier than a .com. If a name can be sexy. :) I think you know what I mean.

I like .media so I am not being anti - newgtld but is there enough data to prove that premise? Now I think they truly believe that when comparing a name head to head like boostmedia.com or boost.media that they are not stepping down by using the .media but actually see a gtld as equally appealing and not a second tier name like a .net.

Again I am not saying you are wrong, just wondering if there is anything to support the hypothesis.

•••
I like .media so I am not being anti - newgtld but is there enough data to prove that premise? Now I think they truly believe that when comparing a name head to head like boostmedia.com or boost.media that they are not stepping down by using the .media but actually see a gtld as equally appealing and not a second tier name like a .net.

Again I am not saying you are wrong, just wondering if there is anything to support the hypothesis.
Nothing to support it. It's just something that I truly believe and have read others that say similar things. I am not a vocal supporter of gtlds either and own zero. Will I possibly own some in the future when the dust settles some? Absolutely.

If I was a true outsider needing a name and was looking solely at name form then I would without hesitation choose a new gtld.

•••
Nothing to support it. It's just something that I truly believe and have read others that say similar things. I am not a vocal supporter of gtlds either and own zero. Will I possibly own some in the future when the dust settles some? Absolutely.

If I was a true outsider needing a name and was looking solely at name form then I would without hesitation choose a new gtld.

It's an interesting dynamic, and look whether or not becomes a reality is a big deal in the world of domain investing. Since most startups are going with .com I think it's safe to say it's not happening yet.

•••
It's an interesting dynamic, and look whether or not becomes a reality is a big deal in the world of domain investing. Since most startups are going with .com I think it's safe to say it's not happening yet.
I agree 100%

•••
I'm selling more names in 2017 than I did last year, and I haven't noticed a significant drop in sales or sales prices.

I find the re-seller prices for pre-release names at NJ and GD and for dropcaught names to be the biggest challenge in 2017. It's very difficult to get any of the better expiring names for a reasonable price in 2017, and while I'm spending more on names than I did last year, I feel like I get a lot less value for the money reinvested. Rather than new bidders, I see the "regulars" that you see in most auctions are paying increasingly crazy prices, which I suppose is indicative of them having strong sales in 2017 to support buying names in today's reseller market.

•••

I have a strong enough gtld portfolio to prove this theory, many of my strong .com's, I purchased the matching GTLD's, and in many cases the .com gets an inquiry, it might be on the high end for the buyer, so I throw the matching gtld alternative their way at a fraction of the .com cost, I think only 1 person has ever bought it, and that was after they bought the .com, their family corp. just happend to be a billion dollar company, so money was not an issue, even though it was his own side project.

I have seen this in .co also, majority of the time if the business takes off, they come back, and pay up to acquire the .com.

Majority of buyers still want .com, and do not want the gtld alternative unless they are paying reg fee, they will not pay a premium for it in most cases.

Last edited:
•••
I am on track to match my sales from last year, although i've greatly decreased the amount of names in my portfolio. Eliminating the small dollar sales has been a value-add, because it's less in holding costs and acquisition costs. Same revenue - 1/10th last year's cost = much more profit

•••
I am told that summer is the slow season for this business. I've managed some good sales every month this year though.

There are in my estimation too many beer budget champagne seeking buyers out there though. I've learned to be very polite and patient with all of them. (I used to respond with, "That's a ridiculous offer!") :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
Had more offers then not go through then sales.

•••
just sold 2 more in the $x,xxx this month

•••
Had more offers then not go through then sales.

i'va had 4 this year were they just backed out of (didn't pay) the deal after accepting the deal

1 on sedo and 3 with Godaddy

•••
i'va had 4 this year were they just backed out of (didn't pay) the deal after accepting the deal

1 on sedo and 3 with Godaddy
I have 2 with godaddy pending for 1 week right now and the only thing they can say is to wait another 2-3 weeks and list them again...and I had one more with flippa and one with afternic this year- all backed out. Uniregistry is completely dead for me, no offers no nothing. Private email brings the best offers, but there are bad months and good months.

•••
Same problem here, non-payers are way up in 2017, have had several buyers agree to a price or hit BIN and then back out every month this year. Very frustrating when it happens 2-4 times in a month. I hardly encountered any non-paying buyers in 2016.

•••
Make it 3 in the last month or so... i wonder if El Nino has also affected people business ethics and integrity... oh well "errare humanum est.."

•••
My sales have gone up on domains ranging in the 1000-5000 price. Haven't had any above 5k yet this year, which is bad bad bad! Maybe one of my auctions will hit reserve :)

(Link removed by Mod)

Yeah! I sold one of my name for $18500 so I have one above 5k now! :)

•••
That's fabulous! It's hard to know sometimes how much an inquirer will really pay, they all tend to start off lower than what you want.

•••
Same problem here, non-payers are way up in 2017, have had several buyers agree to a price or hit BIN and then back out every month this year. Very frustrating when it happens 2-4 times in a month. I hardly encountered any non-paying buyers in 2016.
Just curious, are these non payers not completing the transaction because you're using Escrow.com?

•••
Just curious, are these non payers not completing the transaction because you're using Escrow.com?
No, I avoid the "new" escrow.com and haven't used them to process single sale in 2017. The number of non-paying buyers would probably be higher if I did use them.

•••
Had a few "non-payers" myself (super frustrating), probably totalling around 4-5k in total this year.. happened a few times on godaddy, happened on private negotiations also.
The year started very strong, last 30 days has been super slow though. Last year summer was great ironically in terms of sales. This year been definitely a slower June.. July should pick back up I think

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back