Dynadot

opinion So why are .us domains not catching on?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
In Canada the .ca regional domains are on fire, I don't understand why I never see a .us domain in actual use.

With the .coms almost out of reach why are the .us domains not catching on?
There are a lot of us companies like plumbers, roofers etc. yet so few of them use .us domains.

I would love to see what the penetration for .us is as compared to other countries.
I have been thinking about dabbling in some .us domains and would love some feedback.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.ca domains on fire?

3L.ca's can be acquired for reg fee, there is very little demand. Many Canadian end users do business in both countries, and want a .com as first choice.

.us had a 10 cent promo a few months back, it is the same with all lessor extensions. Nobody wants second best.

You can't force people to accept it, been about 15 years now, it's not going to happen, as stated above why not work with what people want, instead of trying to force what people don't want upon them.

By the looks of it .us is a great 2 letter extension, it represents what it means perfectly, but it has poor sell thru. Single words can be purchased for $100-$500.
You completely don't get it either. The 10 cent promo was nothing compared to the small actions and gestures that could have made a world of difference all these 15 years plus a few days now.

•••
You completely don't get it either. The 10 cent promo was nothing compared to the small actions and gestures that could have made a world of difference all these 15 years plus a few days now.

End of the day nobody is willing to pay up for .us in modern days, the onslaught of new gtld's has pushed things further back. It is up to the company that runs it, and profits from it to market it.

I am not sure what you mean by small actions, and gestures, without examples.

•••
people have been saying ".us will catch on in the next 1-2 years" for a decade. i'd start a US based company/website around at least a half dozen other cctlds before getting a .us

•••
I am not sure what you mean by small actions, and gestures, without examples.
Then you haven't been reading my posts. And yes people are certainly willing to pay for good ones, so you also do not know what you are talking about with that remark either. Selling isn't everything, however, even though this particular forum may be more about that than anything else.

•••
Then you haven't been reading my posts. And yes people are certainly willing to pay for good ones, so you also do not know what you are talking about with that remark either. Selling isn't everything, however, even though this particular forum may be more about that than anything else.
Ha ha funny I do know what I am talking about because I bought a whole bunch of .us from a Fortune 500 company, registered in 2002, one word .us, and have been fielding low ball offers for years trying to unload them. Getting $500 from them is like getting blood from a stone.

•••
people have been saying ".us will catch on in the next 1-2 years" for a decade. i'd start a US based company/website around at least a half dozen other cctlds before getting a .us
You're making a "straw man." People haven't been doing that.

•••
Ok, you just post vague facts, I talk from experience, and I own several one word .us, so I would like them more than anyone to take off, but I don't sugar coat, or bs facts so things go in my favor.

The public is not interested, do something about it if you know so much.

•••
Ha ha funny I do know what I am talking about because I bought a whole bunch of .us from a Fortune 500 company, registered in 2002, one word .us, and have been fielding low ball offers for years trying to unload them. Getting $500 from them is like getting blood from a stone.
All that says is that you have been getting lowball offers. During this period of time when some would love to take advantage of the still comatose status quo in which the very subject country itself hardly even knows the TLD exists.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, you just post vague facts, I talk from experience, and I own several one word .us, so I would like them more than anyone to take off, but I don't sugar coat, or bs facts so things go in my favor.

The public is not interested, do something about it if you know so much.
You're making a "straw man" too. I have hardly been "sugar coating" facts "so things go in my favor." And as for experience, well do note the difference in join dates for this forum between me and you. Were you even active when .us was released in 2002?

•••
That's the beauty about .ca's you can still register them. Our population is a fraction of the US and unlike the .com the rest of the world cannot buy a .ca

.ca's are on fire, a vast portion of the population including the biggest retailers and banks all use .ca extensions.

I have sold 15 .ca's at 5k each

I offered 15k US and 20k us on two different 3 letter .ca's at uniregistry and did not win them.

The whole world uses .com's but only Canada uses .ca's so you cannot compare that data but the adoption as per population count the .ca is far far more popular than the .us in the states.

I cannot think of many to retailers in the US using a .us but almost all major retailers, banks etc use .ca's in Canada.

I have two businesses where I own the .com and .ca and in both cases my .coms forward to the .ca

For Canadian statistics the .ca's are on fire.
For my sales the .ca's are on fire.... granted I have sold .coms at 75k but at 5-15k there is money to be made on .ca's.

PS.... I sold one today...... posted about that already..... yipee!!

•••
Congrats on doing so well with .ca.

•••
Congrats on doing so well with .ca.

Thank you, so much @Web Trader
I am highly highly specialized in Maple.ca's and maple is the national symbol but its amazing how many maple.com's I have sold to China. I know why but I don't want to give away my secret about that. quite yet :xf.smile:

•••
Not a straw man at all. Look at the official .us thread here on namepros, it is over 11 years old and is littered with false hope.

There is zero growth in .us, and as legitimate end users continue to overlook it for .co, .io, or international companies using their own cctld, it will continue to dwindle.

In most countries outside the US, end users are expected to use their cctld. In the US, using .us is viewed as a cheap alternative to .com. It takes an immense amount of support for extensions to catch on when there is already a stalwart, and as a 32 year old extension, .us only gets more stale.

Attachments

• IMG_6046.PNG
    IMG_6046.PNG
    175.6 KB · Views: 32
•••
Not a straw man at all. Look at the official .us thread here on namepros, it is over 11 years old and is littered with false hope.

There is zero growth in .us, and as legitimate end users continue to overlook it for .co, .io, or international companies using their own cctld, it will continue to dwindle.

In most countries outside the US, end users are expected to use their cctld. In the US, using .us is viewed as a cheap alternative to .com. It takes an immense amount of support for extensions to catch on when there is already a stalwart, and as a 32 year old extension, .us only gets more stale.
News flash: NP may be a great forum and the most famous forum for the industry, but one NP thread with that going on is simply one NP thread with that going on (or a few if such is the case, makes no difference). NP is only one corner of the universe albeit a nice one and that hardly proves what is conveyed when someone makes a statement like "people have been saying ".us will catch on in the next 1-2 years" for a decade." There's a reason why you see so few posts relative to my 2005 join date - because there happens to be a bigger world out there beyond NP, though NP is certainly a great forum as I mentioned.

And you are simply just not getting and absorbing everything I've written here on the other points, and as is indicated I'm certainly far from alone. You are also doing what the guy earlier did in stating the obvious there in terms of what we already know. The larger issue is the why and what could be done about it.

"It takes an immense amount of support for extensions to catch on when there is already a stalwart"

If you had gotten and absorbed anything I've written here and elsewhere, then you would realize that is simply not true. The truth is that it is all but certain it would only take and would have taken virtually nothing at all for this to have occurred all this time with .US. Merely a few strategic gestures and actions such as the kind I have already written about to get the ball rolling, ignite and fan the flame, and then perhaps just a little maintenance and continued fanning after that. Then, God willing, great forest fires have a way of growing and expanding and being fed more and more fuel.

Last edited:
•••
News flash: NP may be a great forum and the most famous forum for the industry, but one NP thread with that going on is simply one NP thread with that going on (or a few if such is the case, makes no difference). NP is only one corner of the universe albeit a nice one and that hardly proves what is conveyed when someone makes a statement like "people have been saying ".us will catch on in the next 1-2 years" for a decade." There's a reason why you see so few posts relative to my 2005 join date - because there happens to be a bigger world out there beyond NP, though NP is certainly a great forum as I mentioned.

And you are simply just not getting and absorbing everything I've written here on the other points, and as is indicated I'm certainly far from alone. You are also doing what the guy earlier did in stating the obvious there in terms of what we already know. The larger issue is the why and what could be done about it.

If you had gotten and absorbed anything I've written here and elsewhere, then you would realize that is simply not true. The truth is that it is all but certain it would only take and would have taken virtually nothing at all for this to have occurred all this time with .US. Merely a few strategic gestures and actions such as the kind I have already written about to get the ball rolling, ignite and fan the flame, and then perhaps just a little maintenance and continued fanning after that. Then, God willing, great forest fires have a way of growing and expanding and being fed more and more fuel.
I used that thread as an example, but here is another to suffice you. The most popular end users using .us are smaller government entities and sites you've never heard of. That and my previous chart from namebio showing the average .us price decreasing over the last decade. Not necessarily a growth market.

News flash: It will take a lot more than forest fire analogies to make .us grow in value

•••
I used that thread as an example, but here is another to suffice you. The most popular end users using .us are smaller government entities and sites you've never heard of. That and my previous chart from namebio showing the average .us price decreasing over the last decade. Not necessarily a growth market.

News flash: It will take a lot more than forest fire analogies to make .us grow in value
Your reply is completely clueless and it appears what I wrote simply went right by you.

As for smaller government entities or any government entities using .us, it would not surprise me if I've been aware of that since before you were even born.

•••
Your reply is completely clueless and it appears what I wrote simply went right by you.

As for smaller government entities or any government entities using .us, it would not surprise me if I've been aware of that since before you were even born.
Congratulations, then feel free to stop replying to my comments

•••
.US is for developing or for sale to end users. Anyways why not discuss what's going on with .us and neustar this year instead of being stuck in the past. Sometimes I feel that people purposely bash .us now to divert attention from what is happening this year. How about the registry making some names premium? how about the privacy issue? How about the company buying neustar, what can we expect from them? Let's stop regurgitating the past and start thinking forward...

Later.us

•••
One of the practical reasons are .com is popular in USA than .us

•••
One of the practical reasons are .com is popular in USA than .us
.Com is more popular than many other cctlds in their respective counrries, So does that mean cctlds are worthless. Let's address the most important issues I mentioned in the past post which directly affect .US. that would be interesting and informative. This back and forth repeating the same things over and over is not productive. Then maybe that's what some people want.

•••
.Com is more popular than many other cctlds in their respective counrries, So does that mean cctlds are worthless. Let's address the most important issues I mentioned in the past post which directly affect .US. that would be interesting and informative. This back and forth repeating the same things over and over is not productive. Then maybe that's what some people want.
cctlds have their place under the Sun, even .us is not obsolete its having its place in USA.
But the point here is .com is very local in USA compared to other countries. In other words .com and .us is synonymous in USA so people and companies prefer .com

•••
cctlds have their place under the Sun, even .us is not obsolete its having its place in USA.
But the point here is .com is very local in USA compared to other countries. In other words .com and .us is synonymous in USA so people and companies prefer .com
Of course they prefer .Com doubt people need convincing. Again no one is addressing what I asked in the previous post which people are avoiding. And here you are talking about .Com and same ole same ole. Thank you anyways.

How about the registry making some names premium?
How about the privacy issue to be looked at this year?
How about the company buying neustar, what can we expect from them?

Last edited:
•••
So why are .us domains not catching on?
Not meant personally but, success in domaining doesn't come from focusing on what isn't catching on, it comes from focusing on what is.

I know, annoying right...but it's true....

Last edited:
•••
Of course they prefer .Com doubt people need convincing. Again no one is addressing what I asked in the previous post which people are avoiding. And here you are talking about .Com and same ole same ole. Thank you anyways.

How about the registry making some names premium?
How about the privacy issue to be looked at this year?
How about the company buying neustar, what can we expect from them?
I do see potential in .us but it will take some time. In my view the promoter of .us needs to uplift the .us marketing.

•••
I do see potential in .us but it will take some time. In my view the promoter of .us needs to uplift the .us marketing.
Will things change when the private company takes over neustar later this year?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back