IT.COM

SnapNames.com accepting orders after "Order By" time

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
At least that is the impression I get.

In search results on Snapnames a domain lists as "Available soon" with an "Order By" day and time which, relative to my local time, is expired since 13 hours. Yet the system appears to accept new orders for it.

According to Snapnames help the Order By time is displayed in local time based on time zone settings in the browser. That time limit has lapsed half a day ago, yet new orders can still be placed.

Isn't this strange?

Perhaps in some other situation I might appreciate this, but now I'm the only bidder and so I wish it would close and give me my domain name :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They have many strange things.

For example I have status Acquiring name on 2 names from the February, 14 :)

•••
contact their support at [email protected] and tell then to fix it and hold to their own rules

•••
This happened to me once. I was able to backorder a pre-release domain way past the deadline and my bid could clearly be seen in the list. However, a few days later, my bid was deleted and the domain entered redemption period and eventually dropped.

So the fact your late backorder was accepted by the system doesn't necessarily mean it will stick.

•••
That's happened to me too. As twomoon says, there are many strange things about SnapNames. As Wordsworth says, that has happened to me also. so don't surprise yourself about these things and order your backorders before the Order By time.

•••
Alright, thanks for your comments, reckon I'll just have to wait what happens next.

•••
Don't hold up your hopes. Although I have gotten 1 domain when ordering past the Order By Date. Usually it isn't captured and drops.

•••
From my experience, the order by dates are approximate. It depends on the registrars I guess.
Sometimes, even placing a backorder early doesn't help: the name goes into redemption. There might be some sync issues between SN and the registrars.

•••
About 1 year ago, I spoke with one of the persons in charge of that department. We went back and forth with emails and they never fixed it. My guess is that they do it on purpose to get more bidders into auctions. But this is for expiring domains only.

•••
Status changed from "Acquiring Name" to "Backorder".

In the WHOIS record, the domain status is "Redemption Period".

Looks like my pre-release order was too late, doesn't it?

•••
Looks like my pre-release order was too late, doesn't it?

Yup. Although if it's in redemption, perhaps it will delete...

•••
Going after a SnapNames domain again, made sure to order before the Order By time limit and this time things are as expected.

When the Order By time limit expired, the status in search results changed from "Available Soon" to "Closed" immediately.

Unfortunately 2 more people had orders on the same domain and now there's an auction going, which started just minutes after the Order By time limit expired.

•••
This "glitch" worked in my favor last week. I placed my order about 12 hours past the deadline and still got in on the auction. Won the domain too. It's happening again today. Not as happy about this one because I didn't forget to pre-order this time, haha.. Now there are about 35 bidders and counting and they're still taking orders...

•••
Does anybody know - m10v ?
He hasn't paid a lot of domains, and he continues to cheat the prices of the other domains...

First unpaid domain I see is for the 19th of May. But I think he also has unpaid domains before this date.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back