NameSilo

Slodaddy Backorder Fails Again

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HeyNow

MemberRestricted (85-100%)
Impact
Purchased a backorder & monitoring for opine.us at Godaddy.

Name dropped yesterday. I was able to hand-reg it on the first try when I got home from work at night.

Not only did Godaddy fail to pick-up a domain that dropped that was open for reg, but they still have not sent me any of their worthless "monitoring" info saying there's been a change with the domain.

Godaddy is fairly worthless in the drop game.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I am replying just because of the thread title. I really liked slodaddy word:P. They are full of useless things. They just try to distract the user with their useless offers.

•••
Just to update: I decided to not backorder the domain in question with any other dropcatchers, since I just didn't feel like signing up with all of them and making bids all in a day or two's period, was too busy with other things in life; decided to just stick with the GD backorder and also try to hand reg it myself at delete time. A minute before drop time it was still 'pending delete', and a minute after drop time Godaddy had caught the name... for my account :)

So, I hear they're about 95% unreliable and this one success doesn't make them suddenly a great service; however, must at least give them the props for catching my name. Though I won't use them again, in future I'll use the better dropcatchers.

•••
Just to update: I decided to not backorder the domain in question with any other dropcatchers, since I just didn't feel like signing up with all of them and making bids all in a day or two's period, was too busy with other things in life; decided to just stick with the GD backorder and also try to hand reg it myself at delete time. A minute before drop time it was still 'pending delete', and a minute after drop time Godaddy had caught the name... for my account :)

So, I hear they're about 95% unreliable and this one success doesn't make them suddenly a great service; however, must at least give them the props for catching my name. Though I won't use them again, in future I'll use the better dropcatchers.

Well I actually interpret that data differently. I think it is more likely that the name did not drop at all. Could you reveal the name for us?

•••
Well I actually interpret that data differently. I think it is more likely that the name did not drop at all. Could you reveal the name for us?

The name dropped; I'll PM it to you :)

•••
Perhaps the domain you backorder are always .us, that's why it's failing? Maybe godaddy backorders doesn't support .us domains? That would be weird though.

I mean, if they don't register the domain after a few seconds of becoming available, that's not good, but still understandable, but if it's just wide open for registration after a few hours then that's plain pointless.

•••
Hi, i always use name.com to backorder my domains, and i never tried with Godaddy, because i never liked the way they try bill us, asking lot of questions, like take hosting take SSL, make your website true, all that such marketing words, i never liked it...

•••
Always check the whois for holding registrar before place the backorder. If the domain is already registered at godaddy or wild west domains, you have a good chance of back ordering it. else, you should try snap, nj or pool

•••
If the domain didn't expire yet or it is still within the first 45 days of expiry, then like BladeMaster said the registrar does matter. The domain will be on auction exclusively at their partner auction house. This usually happens between day 22 and 42 after expiry. This is definitely always before the first 45 days is over.

If the domain has already passed the first 45 days after expiry the losing registrar has no exclusivity over the domain. That domain has already passed the pre-release auction stage. It will eventually enter pending delete. With pending deletes the registrar doesn't matter. Not the registrar but the registry will do the dropping and all the dropcatchers will try to catch the drops.

The way domains are dropped is independent from their registrars. All pending deletes are in the same pool and they will be dropped in the order they were registered. So the drop list is a list that is sorted according creation date. About 10 domains will drop every second. By dropping I mean that the domain will be available to register.

For instance if example.com expired 46 days ago and it was registered at Godaddy, the best thing to do is to backorder that domain at snapnames, because snapnames is the fastest to register a domain the moment it becomes available.

You can of course go with another dropcatcher but then make sure the domain is not backordered with snapnames or namejet because it is near impossible for any dropcatcher to beat these two. An unpopular domain that people wouldn't backorder at snapnames or namejet could be backordered at godaddy.

I also use name.com because of their first come first served, no auction method. You can't go wrong with that. However I have yet to see name.com beating namejet or snapnames. That has never happened. A few days ago I saw name.com beating godaddy. But that didn't surprise me.

Last edited:
•••
This is what I've caught through GoDaddy backorders in the last two days:
CamCamera.com
CompanyIncentive.com
HotelFee.com
NewcarAutoloans.com

I'm surprised when people say they 'don't work', just don't wait till the last minute to place the backorder. Also, avoid placing the backorder at Snap / NJ, gives GD an edge while catching the names.

People peddling software and services that claim to be better than GD are the ones making most of the noise tbh, do your own due diligence.

Last edited:
•••
This is what I've caught through GoDaddy backorders in the last two days:
CamCamera.com
CompanyIncentive.com
HotelFee.com
NewcarAutoloans.com

I'm surprised when people say they 'don't work', just don't wait till the last minute to place the backorder. Also, avoid placing the backorder at Snap / NJ, gives GD an edge while catching the names.

People peddling software and services that claim to be better than GD are the ones making most of the noise tbh, do your own due diligence.

Well if you avoided placing backorders at all the other places GD had no competition. When there is no competition at all, I am sure that GD can compete. I am pretty sure the names you referenced were not back ordered elsewhere. But that also means that you can pick it from a drop list the day after. Estibot runs pre appraised drop lists with similar names dropped each day.

I do not sell software or competing services to GD, but my repeated bad experience with their back ordering service compels me to warn others. At one point it was worth the cost, (back when you could get a backorder for 9$ with your investors edge subscription) but now you are better of hand regging the names.

•••
mwzd,
What does your example prove? It only shows that godaddy backorder works if there is nobody to beat.

I have been working with pending delete lists for long time. I backordered the same domain many times on multiple places including Godaddy. Godaddy didn't beat name.com or snapnames.com or namejet.com in any of them. I know this from personal experience. I'm using Godaddy backorder regularly. They managed to register a few domains for me. I still keep there some unused credits. However I know for a fact that they are rubbish.

If you know that Godaddy beat some of the other dropcatchers you should give some examples.

There is a member here who is selling cheap backorders and if that person said he has beaten GD backorder I would believe him because I know how the drop and backorder game works. Godaddy does not calculate exact dropping times for each domain. They just go over their drop list trying to register any of them. When they finish they go over it again. They can only do registration attempts for the same domain every 2 seconds whereas snapnames and namejet can do 50 attempts per second.

Snapnames is 100 times faster then Godaddy according my calculation because they calculate the exact moment for each drop in advance and they assign over 50 registrars try to register the domain in that second.

Last edited:
•••
Actually I think you're wrong about Godaddy only having 'one' connection to register domains on backorder. They have multiple registrars, pretty much on par w/ snap etc.

As for not being backordered elsewhere - there is no way I can be sure these weren't backordered anywhere else, you do realise people place backorders in the last minutes to avoid competition at these platforms.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of these were also backordered by someone somewhere, specially since they came of rather common deleting data lists.

•••
Slowdaddy helps beat the handreggers.
I have seldom seen them beat other dropcatchers.

•••
Actually I think you're wrong about Godaddy only having 'one' connection to register domains on backorder. They have multiple registrars, pretty much on par w/ snap etc.

As for not being backordered elsewhere - there is no way I can be sure these weren't backordered anywhere else, you do realise people place backorders in the last minutes to avoid competition at these platforms.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of these were also backordered by someone somewhere, specially since they came of rather common deleting data lists.

You are most likely right about Godaddy having more than one registrar account to use. But I have never seen any evidence that they leverage this in any way.

In regards to if they were backorder elsewhere... Well I guessed that they were not. As mentioned similar quality names are dropped each day, so that makes me believe that they were not backordered elsewhere.. The only PROF I have of no one else backordering those names, is that Godaddy caught them. That is pretty much conclusive evidence ;)

I am yet to see Godaddy beat anyone else on a backorder, and as others I have used Godaddy backorders for years before they altered their auction rules. Unless you come up with a concrete example of Godaddy beating any other back order service, then I would be very careful recommending their service to anyone else.

But as Sdsinc comments sometimes they beat the hand reggers ;)

•••
Tbh I have a few backorder credits w/ them from back when they were $12 ea. or something which I'm using. Handregging never works for me since even if I'm on I tend to forget.

These are all registered via different registrars, if you want to see evidence of them using multiple registrars.

And I guess at least one of them was backordered elsewhere since someone sent me an email offer coz they failed to catch it. So not as bad as you thought either. ;)

•••
Tbh I have a few backorder credits w/ them from back when they were $12 ea. or something which I'm using. Handregging never works for me since even if I'm on I tend to forget.

Well if they cost you 12$ EA. I can understand that you prefer to use their service over a domain monitor and hand reg.

These are all registered via different registrars, if you want to see evidence of them using multiple registrars.

This is interesting. Could the the originating registrar have any bearing on this? IE. do you know if the names were originally registered with WW registrars?

And I guess at least one of them was backordered elsewhere since someone sent me an email offer coz they failed to catch it. So not as bad as you thought either. ;)

I guess that is prof then :) Do you think that you can get the name of the service they beat?

•••
I don't think the registrar it expires from has any bearing once a domain goes into pending delete status, it's fair game for whoever gets it first, multiple registrars just allow more connections to the registry and I'm sure w/ 25% of the total reg market GD would have the expiring order down pat.

These were at Moniker and Register.com before they were caught.

I'm guessing that the service that got beat was a backorder one since the offer was $69. :lol:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back