Dynadot

question Sketchy offer on Flippa

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Futurewizard

Established Member
Impact
So, I feel like I already know the answer to this, but I want to do a sanity check as I'm new. I don't want to assume anything because that makes an ass of me and u.

I got this message on a domain I've put up for Auction. I am posting the first along with the second.

Message 1 Jun 06, 2021 01:28 AM (CST)
Hi, I'm interested in your domain, how much do you want to get for it today?

I replied and kindly referred him to the auction page which includes all prices. I'm trying to reply to all messages quickly to build a reputation (and to be polite - which counts for a lot in my book).

Message 2 (today, just now)
I can offer $7900 on the condition that we conduct the deal through bitcoin escrow service at my expense, the fact is that I live in China and my country has problems paying abroad due to the policy in my country.
While BTC is fine and I love crypto, my gut obviously says NOPE. I'm more curious to see (if this is indeed a scam) how common this technique is. If it's not a scam, I'll be surprised.

Thanks for your time :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DAN accepts bitcoin as payment. Suggest him to make an offer there.

•••
So, I feel like I already know the answer to this, but I want to do a sanity check as I'm new. I don't want to assume anything because that makes an ass of me and u.

I got this message on a domain I've put up for Auction. I am posting the first along with the second.

I replied and kindly referred him to the auction page which includes all prices. I'm trying to reply to all messages quickly to build a reputation (and to be polite - which counts for a lot in my book).

I can offer $7900 on the condition that we conduct the deal through bitcoin escrow service at my expense, the fact is that I live in China and my country has problems paying abroad due to the policy in my country.
While BTC is fine and I love crypto, my gut obviously says NOPE. I'm more curious to see (if this is indeed a scam) how common this technique is. If it's not a scam, I'll be surprised.

Yep, you're right - you know the answer. Check out this thread - https://www.namepros.com/threads/bu...y-w-bitcoin-via-a-crypto-escrow-site.1232211/

•••
•••
Yep, you're right - you know the answer. Check out this thread - namepros/threads/buyer-from-china-wants-to-pay-w-bitcoin-via-a-crypto-escrow-site.1232211/
Oh wow. This is great info!

•••

There's a 99% chance it's a scam. But to be 100% sure, ask the buyer to complete either via Dan.com or Epik.com as they accomodate crypto transactions. If he still insists on an obscure crypto escrow service, then it's time to move on from the deal.

•••
Yep, Sounds like he wants to use the NEW Yim-Yam bitcoin. Very widely used in Chinese Zero-tolerance websites. You NO see NO money - You NO Complain, NObody listening

Last edited:
•••
Since I last checked this thread, I've already received another one. Eesh. Thanks everybody. Love this community :)

•••
It's against Flippa TOS for them even to request it. Report them to Flippa. They'll open up another 10 accounts to run their scam from, but at least it'll close that one down.

•••
Classic scam. Don't fall for it.

Edit: It's a form of greed scam, they offer a great amount of "pay" through their scam service to get your domain. Once they get it, it's gone and you'll see no money.

Last edited:
•••
If he's paying with Bitcoin, good. He can do it through DAN, the domain is his after the first confirmation is registered in the blockchain - Period

If its something cute he's trying to suggest outside of trusted providers ...run

•••
It's against Flippa TOS for them even to request it. Report them to Flippa. They'll open up another 10 accounts to run their scam from, but at least it'll close that one down.
Done! Be on the look out, everybody :) And good luck to all! May your domains flip delightfully :couchpotato:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back