Dynadot

Since when GoDaddy doesn't allow push of domains having less than 30 days of registration?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I tried to push a domain that was expiring in couple days to another GoDaddy account, but it didn't work.

I contacted support and was told that push of domains expiring in next 30 days is not allowed at the moment and that such domains must be renewed first.

I was also told that it is "internal" policy which wasn't made public.

I wonder if anyone knows since when Godaddy has such policy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd ask GoDaddy.

Also I don't think they can make an "internal policy" like that without putting it in T&C so you could check there and compare it to previous versions.

Last edited:
•••
Well, below is what Godaddy support told me when I asked "Please refer me to the appropriate rules that I can see in Internet":

GoDaddy support: "As of now it is only internal."

Last edited:
•••
Worked fine for me on Friday, the name only had a couple of days left on it

•••
•••
Well, below is what Godaddy support told me when I asked "Please refer me to the appropriate rules that I can see in Internet":

GoDaddy support: "As of now it is only internal."

Well, one reason why it is "only internal" might be that it seems to violate registrant's rights... but IANAL.

The actual policy might be "try to get them to renew but allow the push if they argue"... Have you tried that? ;)

Last edited:
•••
Worked fine for me on Friday, the name only had a couple of days left on it

Tried it yesterday on domain having couple days left. It failed. Then contacted GoDaddy support and was told to renew it first which I did, and it worked!

•••
Well, one reason why it is "only internal" might be that it seems to violate registrant's rights... but IANAL.

The actual policy might be "try to get them to renew but allow the push if they argue"... Have you tried that? ;)

I was pretty persistent and so was GoDaddy employee. He was explicit saying that I can't push domain which is expiring within 30 days. Being surprised by his persistence, I renewed the domain and tried pushing it again - and it worked.

•••
HeHe.... maybe they are preparing the domain for auction

Chances are if they charge another renewal before the push a certain amount of domain owners will give up therefore leaving more domains to hit the expiring auction thus making more money for godaddy.

Maybe I should buy stock in godaddy :xf.wink:

•••
It can create a problem if you sell a domain, collect payment, then can't push the name.

GD will hopefully explain whats going on.

•••
It can create a problem if you sell a domain, collect payment, then can't push the name.

GD will hopefully explain whats going on.

This is exactly what has happened to me.

•••
This is exactly what has happened to me.
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense what they do sometimes. I hope it is a mistake. Forcing people to renew before pushing doesn't seem right. Push is push. Renewal is renewal. No renewal is due until it is due.

Sorry to hear that Kriss.

•••
Namepros admins: why have you moved this thread to "Domain Marketplace Reviews"? Correct forum would be "Domain Registrar Reviews".

•••
I have some updates, and, to me, they don't look good.

Long story short: I tried to push a domain expiring in two days to another GoDaddy account, and it failed.

Next day I contacted GoDaddy support and was told that I can't push domain expiring within 30 days to another Godaddy account. I was told that this is some "internal" policy that wasn't made public at the moment of our conversation. I was also told that I have to renew any such domains to be able to push them.

Yet today I successfully pushed another domain having less than 30 days of registration left to another GoDaddy account.

Is it me, or it appears that some GoDaddy employees are forcing customers to renew nonexpired domains, trying to mislead them about possibility of account change for domains expiring within 30 days? @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
This isnt good. I like to see an official statement on this from GD.... Another reason to no longer use them.

•••
There is no rule to renew a domain 30 days in advance in order to change the account on most domains. There are some cctlds that have rules where they need to be renewed in advance of expiration. I think either there is some information missing here or a misunderstanding.

•••
@Joe Styler Here is my conversation with GoDaddy representative which happened on Oct 6:

Me: I have a problem with transferring domain to another GoDaddy account. I'm getting error message which says that the domain is not eligible for transfer.

(identity verification, checking domain status and so on)

GD support: I want to inform you that domain is expiring today so you will have to renew it and then you can transfer it.

Me: I don't think so. As far as I know, expired domain can be transferred to another GoDaddy account. Anyway, it happened yesterday when domain was not expired.

GD support: If you would have transferred it a month back then you could have definitely been able to transfer it. I want to inform you that domain cannot be transferred if it is expiring in next 30days.

Me: It is not correct. At GoDaddy, you can transfer the domain to ANOTHER GoDaddy account even if expired.

GD support: I am really sorry to inform you that account change is also restricted.

Me: Could you please let me know, since then account change is restricted for expired domain? Can you refer me to the appropriate rules?

Me: since when*

GD support: This covid season.

Me: Please refer me to the appropriate rules that I can see in Internet

GD support: As of now it is only internal. But it will be phased out soon.

Me: Please let me know, since what exact date account change is restricted for expired domains?

GD support: 30 days before the expiring.

Me: No, I mean since what date you have these new rules?

GD support: These are for now and there is no information that till when these rules will be active.

Me: Let me summarize: at this moment, one can't perform account change at GoDaddy for expired domains and domains having less than 30 days before expiration? Please be accurate, as this information is very unusual, so I'm going to contact senior GoDaddy employees for additional confirmation.

GD support: Definitely you can cross verify it from the team too.

Me: So, I'm I correct that expired domains and domains having less than 30 days before expiration can't be transferred to another GoDaddy account?

GD support: Yes

Last edited:
•••
It seems from the conversation above that your domain expired on the day you were attempting to move it to another account. You cannot move an expired domain to another account. You can transfer it to another registrar.
As I stated above for most tlds there is not a 30 day window pre-expiration that prevents you from moving a domain to another account.

•••
It is seen from the conversation that I tried moving the domain to another account day before the conversation took place, i.e. when the domain still was active.

I wonder why that GoDaddy employee was so persistent saying that "30 day rule" does exist?

Last edited:
•••
Godaddy get's worse and worse... I wish I could say differently, but when you have been lied to by people like this working for the company, it's hard to trust that the company isn't stealing from you when you see something like this going on.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back