Domain Empire

Similarities between domains and crypto

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainGist

BigDomains.co.ukTop Member
Impact
Does anybody else see similarities between the crypto world and the domain world, with all of these new junk extensions?

OK so I'm risking animosity from those who are heavily invested in new gTLDs, and I'm not saying that there isn't any money to be made, and anybody can see some value in certain domains. E.g. France.Travel.

But it reminds me of the crypto world where every man and his dog has released a crypto coin, pre-mined a load, created a hype, then pumped and dumped to make a load of money for themselves and then walk away.

Isn't this the exact same principle? People investing money into establishing a new gTLD, creating a hype, making themselves some moolah, then what?

If .com is the Bitcoin
If .net is the Litecoin
If .org is the Ripple
If .info is the Bitshares
If .tv isn the Peercoin

What are all these new extensions? The Quark? The Feathercoin? The Devcoin? And every other junkcoin which will never challenge the dominance of the Bitcoin?

I used to trade crypto a little, saw tonnes of people lose money getting caught up in the hype when all these alts were being released. Where's the money now? Because it sure isn't in the market.

Just wondering whether anybody has seen the similarities, and whether anybody can really see a long term investment in the new gTLDs.

It reminds me of the hoards of people who thought their Quark coins would make them millionaires, when it got up to 2nd or 3rd in terms of market cap. It is now 41st with a market cap of $500k, and the only people to make money were those who pre-mined and the first few miners.

Pre-miners = Successful applicants?
First miners = Those who grabbed the few uber-premium domains in pre-registration or within literally an hour of opening?

I've got a few one word.biz domains at the moment. Can't give them away. What makes people think that the situation with new gTLDs would be any different?

Does this huge expanse of new gTLDs do anything other than dilute the marketplace and take away a bit of 'market cap' from .com.

If you are investing heavily in a particular gTLD, are you banking on it becoming the new Litecoin? If so, what makes you think it could rise above the hundreds/thousand of other extensions to achieve that, rather becoming the new .biz?

Possibly at risk of upsetting people here, but how can anybody ever imagine that their gTLD of choice could go from, say, the 69th most popular exension, to the 3rd or 4th, and if they did get to 3rd or 4th..... would your portfolio ever be worth enough to cover the expense incurred renewing your 'premium' portfolio for 5+ years?

Or will you be selling one word dictionary domains for $10?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They have more in common than just that... Domains are virtual real estate, crypto is virtual currency. Some of the new extensions coming out these day focus on particular areas like .plumbing, .estate, .equipment..etc. Just like some virtual currencies do the same (potcoin..etc)

I think you're correct.. There are tons of similarities between them. Although I don't think most crypto currencies will ever amount to much. At least there are multiple domain extensions which can sell for good prices.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back