IT.COM

Silent and Honest Backordering/Dropcatching

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

zenmushin

NamePros MemberEstablished Member
Impact
Which of the backordering services provide silent backordering? When I looked into backordering (or dropcatching) years ago, I was under the impression that with some of the bigger providers would publicize your interest in a name to garner more interest in the name to maximize their revenue.

I understand GoDaddy's backorder is not really a dropcatcher and is more like a slow registration sometime after deletion; but, I do believe a backorder with GoDaddy is not publicized and other speculators do not become aware of your interest. Do vendors like SnapNames, Pool or NameJet publicize your interest to other speculators? If they say they do not, is it possible that members of their staff don't follow the internal rules, then they read the list of backorders, determine which ones they are interested in, and become a competitor to my backorder? I should hope not!

At this point, I am only comfortable with backordering through GoDaddy, but understand that my chances of getting the name are small. If anyone has advice on an honest, silent, quicker backordering service that would indicate to no one that there is an interest in a name, can you please let me know? Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The biggest domain backordering services lately have been:

SnapNames (They do not list their backorders, but they do have a new "Best of the Drop" section, which could be a list of the highest backordered domains or could be simply a list of what they think are the best domains)

DropCatch (They do not list their backorders, but they do have public auctions if more than 2 backorders are placed on a domain)

NameJet (They *do* list their backorders, at least up until Noon Eastern Time, backorders may still be placed after that)

Pheenix (They do not list their backorders, but reports have been that they are not doing as good lately)

DynaDot (They used to list their backorders, but that stopped a while ago. Their success is not as good as the above ones, but probably better than GoDaddy)

Those are currently the leading backordering services that I am aware of. I hope that helps!

*edit* - As far as I know, these are all currently "honest". SnapNames had a rocky history with shill bidding. I'm unaware of any confirmed unethical activity with any of the other providers listed above.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back