Dynadot

Shutdown server

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mewithnix

Account Closed
Impact
i dont know if this is the right thread. is there a way for our government to shutdown our website if ever they wanted? im from the Philippines and my web host is hostgator. another question is can they detect the ip addresses of my members or my ip address(admin) so that they can locate us? my site is a forum using kunena (joomla) and my domain is from godaddy. my privacy is the normal or maybe the cheapest private registration around 3.62 dollars. thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sure, governments can shutdown websites. They can seize the domain name, which they've been doing lately for sites that sell fake Coach/sports team/fashion stuff, as well as sites that have unlicensed sports and TV streaming.

They can detect your IP addresses if they wanted to. I'm not sure they really go to the trouble unless they're doing criminal prosecutions.

•••
If you don't brake any laws, your site won't be closed.

•••
If you are using a US hosting provider, the US government can shut down your website if they want to

That being said, you won't run in to any issues unless you are hosting illegal content. Even then, the chance of actually getting shut down by the government are slim (more likely you'll just receive DMCA takedown notices and either you'll remove the illegal content or your host will suspend your account)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back