Domain Empire

discuss Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I have the opportunity to buy 200 double repeating premium LLL.in at $90 a piece and I passed on it due to my uncertainty. Turns out that was a big mistake.

What was your most recent shoulda, woulda, coulda moment?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For those of you who play Texas No-Limit, this is what I'd call a 'bad beat' thread :roll:

•••
Well, I was watching HomesPrint.com on pending delete around January. It met all my criteria for picking a name but I just somehow let it slip and didn't take interest. It ended at pheenix at $89 and sold in february for $4500. That's life.

•••
every 4 letter .com that I could have bought for less than $50 in 2014
every LLLL.com and nnnnn.com I sold for less then 50$ in 2012 (stuff like 69869.com) now I calculated would be worth over 150K... well that's life :)

•••
All these "mistakes" are the signs of opportunity and of a moving market. Not of missed opportunity.

For every loss there is likely to be a win.

You can't deflect every offer, you wouldn't be domaining. But if you can afford it - stick to the reason you saw potential in that name in the first place and set yourself up for a bigger payday.

I dropped about 100 LLL.co...

•••
I shoulda known about domains back in the 90's (although I was a young teenager) so I coulda registered some of the best ONE word .coms and I woulda been worth 10's of Millions if not 100's .:laugh:

:(:guilty:
_____

Well, all jokes aside. I should have done more research when I got into Domaining and instead of registering 1000's of garbage domains and renewing them until I realized they would not sell or get type in traffic lol.

I shoulda bought a few good keywords with high type in traffic/revenue generating domains using the same money that I burned through by hand registering domains (mostly crappy ones -some good ones that I still own and have gotten decent offers).

I can say the money I wasted was over 6 figures which coulda been utilized in buying a few good domains, and then building businesses around them which woulda been worth multiple 7 figures.

Well, you learn from your mistakes. But it ain't over yet. Now I am building a few businesses that will be worth multiple 7 figures and beyond in the next couple of years.

•••
Shoulda - Read more on NPs and NOT listened to DomainSherpa shows with a thief and parasite when starting out. I sort of question the value of a lot of the shows even without Adam Dicker now. *Thanks to @Shane Bellone we know the truth, but it would have come out eventually.*

NPs is a lot of "needles in the haystack" but there is lots of great info here. Wish it was easier to sort and find.

Woulda - Made a lot of money grabbing this expired domain at GD that a potential client wanted. I thought for sure they the company would hire me so I told them how to do backorders... mistake. Won't be making the same bad decision again.

Coulda - Won this contest if it wasn't for the fact that the registry running the contest was racist and so were the all judges, including Mike Berkens. Bill Rancic is the worst one with his stupid wife.

Reality is merely a construct of perception.

So in that sense, I emphasize with you. However, I think it's important to note that there are many injustices in this world and if losing a domain contest is the worst you've experienced this year, you should count yourself as blessed. Regardless of the severity of your experience, I can understand feeling slighted or turned off by the industry. However, we are humans and as such we are survivors. Rather than be pushed away by your perceived experience, use it as motivation. Overcome. Overachieve. And most importantly, never quit.

•••
I have the opportunity to buy 200 double repeating premium LLL.in at $90 a piece and I passed on it due to my uncertainty. Turns out that was a big mistake.

My regret was not snapping up any and all the NNN.ins i could a few years ago at $50-$100 each. End up with a few, but not as many i wanted. their prices are high now..lol.

•••

Same as you, not enough LLL.in :)

•••
Dropped good pattern 6n .com in last april.

•••
I had an opportunity to buy a hundred LLL.co Chips for $30 each, not very long ago. Arrrrrrrrgh...!>:(

Last edited:
•••
You never know, they may agreed a maximum of $200k and had to have a heated argument in the boardroom about whether they could meet your price. At $250k they might have blanked you and resorted to plan B, so it is silly to regret that one. No solid reason to think that you left money on the table.
They accepted the offer in minutes. It went to a multi billion dollar company - I left a lot of money on the table as they used it for re branding. You are right that its silly to have sellers remorse, especially if you are active in domains, it will always happen. My only regrets are always not being bolder.

•••
My would've should've is just not asking for more. You can't get 5-6-7 figs if you don't ask. I let several domains go way too cheap. That said, you need to understand what you have. Asking 6 figures for a new reg isn't reality.

•••
I regret not buying D.Domains last december because of the $500/yearly renewal.

By the time I worked myself up to buying it, it was registered and instantly turned into a registrar.

I acted out by buying $500 worth of 420.NewTLDs lol
That domain was reserved at first, but when the reservations came off it came with a $500 renewal as you described which is steep unless you have a profitable business going on it.

Now what you should pursue is the General Registration buyers who bought on day 1, they have grandfathered renewals in at $75 per year on the single letter .domains, unless the D meant something more to you?

•••
•••
•••
Hey, don't look back. Stay optimistic. Bumps and bruises are part of life. We are all human and we are not perfect. If someone tells you he/she is perfect, that person is lying.
Have a faith and a kind heart, you'll be fine.
:)
You on happy pills MisterSoft. All this love is making me dizzy.

•••
i was kindof happy selling Dao.biz for $1,500 about 2 months ago until i realized a multi million dollar chinese media company bought it and is live on the web with it ..:-/

•••

•••
I think we all have that regret, they were less than $20 in 2009!

•••
My biggest regret is the hours that I spend here instead of doing something useful.
Over 10,000 messages ,I think you have a point.

•••
In 2012, LLLL coms were going for BIN prices at Go Daddy, I mean like $11, $10, $9, and $8. I even snagged one for $5.

The most I paid for a LLLL com was low $$$ (WDJS and Lyni). In this manner, managed to amass 89 of these.

I think these are worth holding for now.
Great play. Takes guts to buy at $10 when all others think they are worthless.

•••
•••
I actually reg'ed a number of triple repeating LLL.in when they first became available 10, 12, 14 years ago - whenever it was. Also had a number of very, very premium top keyword .in. The best names you can think of. After a year I let them all drop. There just wasn't any interest for them back then. That's why I was able to get them... nobody else wanted 'em.

Back then not too many registrars handled .in. Don't remember what registrar I had them with but I do remember they were outside the USA. Certainly not a big deal but... Seems like annual fee was at least $30 per. Expensive when you could get .coms at GD for a dollar with a coupon code which were always available. At the time everybody said it had to be .com, one-word, generic, radio test, type-ins, blah, blah, blah. Because of the annual price, lack of interest, and what everyone else said, I let them all go after a year. Actually it was my own stupidity in not following my own thoughts. I knew one day .in would get online.

Of course, I would have been paying annual renewal fees all this time but... yeah, I regret dropping 'em.

•••
selling iot.com for $17.5K back in 2007 :(

and 700.com for $19K in 2009 :(:(:(
ouch, 7 figures right there, but you are talking almost a decade out, you basically had to be not following anything, and be busy with other things, to many chances to sell if you are active in the marketplace.

•••
When I first started buying domains godaddy was pitching the hell out of the .TV domains. I gave in and bought a few LL.TV domains. I didnt know the value of domains at that time and thought it was stupid so I got a refund. :(

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back