Dynadot

question Should you report domain name sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kingslayer

Top Member
Impact
This week Swetha has had to defend herself for reporting sales, @JudgeMind has been criticized for reporting his sale.

So question has to be asked, is reporting sales worth the hassle? I find reports of sales helpful, but i personally don't do it. I think there is a number of reasons why a person shouldn't report sales:-

1) It should be up to buyer if they want to go public or not.

2) It's not very professional going public without buyers blessing.

3) It's not worth the hassle (too much success = jealously/people trying to dismiss your achievements and people trying to blacken your name on the web).

4) I (personally) don't like being under the spotlight/centre of attention.

I can only see 1 benefit in reporting sales and that is it's helpful to the industry.

Interested to hear people's views on this.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think there have been too many discussions about this already on the forum. Don't see the reason to make a new thread for it.

•••
please remove my tag in your post

Last edited:
•••
please remove my tag in your post
I can't edit my post but even if i could i wouldn't, why do you have a problem being tagged in a thread?

Last edited:
•••
There is no benefit to the seller to report. Benefit is for everyone else.

After recent events can 100% see why more don’t report. No valid reason to.

Thread is fine. No one cares when the 800th xyz is a scam thread pops up here. This is a direct ramification of a witch hunt. We should be able to talk about it.

•••
There is no benefit to the seller to report. Benefit is for everyone else.

After recent events can 100% see why more don’t report. No valid reason to.

Thread is fine. No one cares when the 800th xyz is a scam thread pops up here. This is a direct ramification of a witch hunt. We should be able to talk about it.

Thanks for sharing your views.

I had no idea if this has already been discussed or not (I don't see all threads), as far as I'm aware this is the first dedicated thread discussing this topic.

I just thought it would be an interesting topic and hearing the views from all sides, if everyone choose not report their sales, domaining would be difficult as we would have no guidlines on how to price, so whilst i don't do it myself anymore for various reasons, as said in my original post, I am thankful to those who do report sales.

Last edited:
•••
I was posting sales but now I stopped, I had 5 sales in a month but not sharing any more!!

•••
I can only see 1 benefit in reporting sales and that is it's helpful to the industry.
There are benefits potentially to the buyer, especially if they are an end-user trying to launch a business or professional site. In effect, that creates additional advertising for their product or service launched on that website. Also, this may help stir up business for that particular web developer and web hosting service.

For example, there was a great domain last year that I sold, that ended up becoming a surgeon's website. The website appears impressive. If reporting the domain sale helps bring attention to the web development and marketing teams, and they welcome the extra attention, great! Granted, though, as posted previously, my preference now is having a buyer's explicit consent for posting sales.

For the seller, it does demontrate that you have domain names that at least have some real-worlld appeal. And, if it does end up being used as a website, more interest could be generated in one's portfolio. If one's domains are not only being sold but also put into use, that may be a good sign of value and utility.

Also, as a seller, I was happy to post to also thank those from that marketplace that helped make the deal happen. Some of these domain agents no doubt work very hard to help negotiate the sale, and deserve recognition for their efforts behind the scenes. So, the benefit as the seller was that at least they knew that they were appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
A big NO

1. People will google and digging into your sale to find something is wrong with the sale and expose nonsense things to the public (They have nothing else to do)
2. People will SPAM the buyers with all the crap names that they own.
3. Many times the Buyer will be a repeat Buyer so why reveal the personal sale connection to the public?

•••
A big NO

1. People will google and digging into your sale to find something is wrong with the sale and expose nonsense things to the public (They have nothing else to do)
That's sad to hear.
2. People will SPAM the buyers with all the crap names that they own.
Have you noticed, though, that compared to years ago, the spam filtering has become much better, and hopefully would address that issue.
3. Many times the Buyer will be a repeat Buyer so why reveal the personal sale connection to the public?
Sure makes sene. Thanks for emphasizing that, for direct buyers, this may not be wise. Again, it may be nice to give them that choice, though. They could potentially become an even more loyal customer, knowing that you are not afraid of the potential competition!

•••
I would only report it if I was a broker, just for marketing ability, and the buyer doesn't object. I do not report my sales.

•••
Back