IT.COM

opinion Should I be worried?

NameSilo
Watch

Gazed416

Established Member
Impact
Hello, everyone.

I am very new to the domain world. I basically figured out about appraisal on Estibot a few days ago, and I came across a name that was for sale less than its appraised value. Of course, I bought the name because I was thinking about the possible profit that I might end up making.

However, I'm starting to realize that this business of flipping domains does not happen over night, and honestly I'm worried because my plan was not to hold onto a domain (plus its website).

I'm basically paying the appraisal site, a hosting site, and the registar site, just for one domain and website to take fees while I don't know if I'll ever get it to sell?

From the outside, everything related to the internet looks big, but maybe too big. Many too much competition because where do I go from here? Try selling the domain on my own, or hire a broker, or if everything else fails do I just accept that I have bought a loss?

I've only had the domain for close to three days now but the unknown is killing me as to how I should proceed and if domain flipping is something that I should keep on doing after I manage to sell my current domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you dont have to pay for any appraisal..

•••
Hello, everyone.

I am very new to the domain world. I basically figured out about appraisal on Estibot a few days ago, and I came across a name that was for sale less than its appraised value. Of course, I bought the name because I was thinking about the possible profit that I might end up making.

However, I'm starting to realize that this business of flipping domains does not happen over night, and honestly I'm worried because my plan was not to hold onto a domain (plus its website).

I'm basically paying the appraisal site, a hosting site, and the registar site, just for one domain and website to take fees while I don't know if I'll ever get it to sell?

From the outside, everything related to the internet looks big, but maybe too big. Many too much competition because where do I go from here? Try selling the domain on my own, or hire a broker, or if everything else fails do I just accept that I have bought a loss?

I've only had the domain for close to three days now but the unknown is killing me as to how I should proceed and if domain flipping is something that I should keep on doing after I manage to sell my current domain.
not to mention namepros gold upgrade.... sure you were completely lost in the domaining jungle...

•••
•••
Why?

Why on Earth?? Do you want to sell domain or website? What do you need the hosting for?

Also, disliking people answering your questions, who would wish to help you again?

I dislike one person's reply, not "people", because their comment was sarcastic. And when I wrote this post I should I should've mentioned that the domain came with the website, hence the hosting plan that I needed to get

•••
you dont have to pay for any appraisal..

Thanks. I cancelled my estibot plan because the monthly fees are too much, but because I want to flip, I thought it would be best for me to use estibot, but I've since realized that I can do it for free on other sites.

•••
Thanks. I cancelled my estibot plan because the monthly fees are too much, but because I want to flip, I thought it would be best for me to use estibot, but I've since realized that I can do it for free on other sites.
Are you looking to flip domains or flip websites or both?

•••
their comment was sarcastic
Not at all. He just meant, that you probably should have learnt at least something about the market before entering the market.

It's like i heard that let's say cardan bearings to Volvo freighters are selling for high. Then i go to pay for some freaking database and see the prices and come to conclusion there is a delta between prices. So i go and buy a damn cardan bearing and just stock it at home, or come to a city market and put it on a table there. People are walking by and be like wtf this dude is freaky. Then i like okay, i go find in internet some profile freighter drivers forum, and ask there - guys, i have this cardan bearing, why nobody buying? And they be like - wtf dude!

the domain came with the website, hence the hosting plan that I needed to get

OMG. So either you are clueless, of you have been framed. Or both.

You might PM me the name so i could look at what you are talking about.

•••
Are you looking to flip domains or flip websites or both?

Only domains for now. How long after purchasing a domain do you have to wait before selling?

•••
Only domains for now. How long after purchasing a domain do you have to wait before selling?
You can put up for sale right away, but it might take months or years to sell. Sometimes they never sell.

•••
Thanks, are you aware of Alexa Traffic Rank?

•••
•••
I dislike one person's reply, not "people", because their comment was sarcastic.

Making money online were "looks" like as easy as blinking your eyes, but the fact and the reality were CRUEL and MERCILESS

You were join on namepros "yesterday" and you were already bought namepros gold membership it would cost you 10$ per month or 99$ per year. Did you carefully read account upgrades feature https://www.namepros.com/account/upgrades? Account upgrade will be usefull if you have at least 50 domains or more, so you could put your domain for sale within namepros. Since you were only have 1 domain why do you have to upgrade? Further logic, you could use 10$ for buying your second .com and try to sell it.

You dont do your homework... you dont do enough research, you dont learn enough... Spare more time to read almost everything on namepros, learn the basic of domaining, learn the acronym, learn the trend, learn the pricing and so on....

Looks like i'm gonna get another dislike LOL

you said you were only have 1 domain but looking from your post you were already own several domains :
highway.mx https://www.namepros.com/threads/thoughts-on-highway-mx.1110322/
afganistanmap.com https://www.namepros.com/threads/geographic-domains-afghanistanmap-com.1110147/
warinthemiddleeast.com https://www.namepros.com/threads/a-17-year-old-domain-warinthemiddleeast-com.1110089/
phib.net https://www.namepros.com/threads/phib-net.1110293/

Last edited:
•••
Making money online were "looks" like as easy as blinking your eyes, but the fact and the reality were CRUEL and MERCILESS

You were join on namepros "yesterday" and you were already bought namepros gold membership it would cost you 10$ per month or 99$ per year. Did you carefully read account upgrades feature https://www.namepros.com/account/upgrades? Account upgrade will be usefull if you have at least 50 domains or more, so you could put your domain for sale within namepros. Since you were only have 1 domain why do you have to upgrade? Further logic, you could use 10$ for buying your second .com and try to sell it.

You dont do your homework... you dont do enough research, you dont learn enough... Spare more time to read almost everything on namepros, learn the basic of domaining, learn the acronym, learn the trend, learn the pricing and so on....

Looks like i'm gonna get another dislike LOL

you said you were only have 1 domain but looking from your post you were already own several domains :
highway.mx https://www.namepros.com/threads/thoughts-on-highway-mx.1110322/
afganistanmap.com https://www.namepros.com/threads/geographic-domains-afghanistanmap-com.1110147/
warinthemiddleeast.com https://www.namepros.com/threads/a-17-year-old-domain-warinthemiddleeast-com.1110089/
phib.net https://www.namepros.com/threads/phib-net.1110293/

You're really wasting my time, but those other domains that you posted by links are on sale but not mine, because a friend and I have a comission agreement. Also, phib.net is mine as I bought it AFTER my very first domain. Thanks and bye

•••
1...forget any all appraisal tool/sites

2...read and learn..buy later...domaining takes years to master...not days

gl

•••
1...forget any all appraisal tool/sites

2...read and learn..buy later...domaining takes years to master...not days

gl

Thank you, I want to learn as much as I can.

•••
Stop spending any more money and read the forum for a few months. The money you spent is lost so don't spend more throwing good $ after bad $ won't help.

•••
I dislike one person's reply, not "people", because their comment was sarcastic...
Not sarcastic, just raw truth.
Maybe it could be said more sweetly, but it is straight truth.

•••
Goal is to know, goal is to sell.

Don't be disappointed by the answers.

All the best!

•••
YES man Don't try to spend more money other than buying a new good domain.
Now your main goal should be covering your expenses.
after that you can think about making profit.

go to namebio.com and see what kind of domains have the potential. try to learn.
try to stick to .com domains for now, at least they have some value
good luck..!
I hope this will help...

•••
Hi, there's tons of resources here at NP and v.experienced co-members so ask questions/learn and then invest.

I too learnt a few valuable tips here:

1) A name without traffic / prospects of traffic is a dead snake.
2) History of the name matters (rankings).
3) Name has to be clean (no penalty / no copyright).
4) Hand registered names are history now - look for aged pickles.
5) Aim only at buying low and selling not so low - selling high needs a genius.
6) Luck doesn't favor you in domaining - consistent business is a distant dream.
7) Investment is needed here - both for visibility and for value - its like any other tomato business.
8) You like your names and you're sure to loose money - instead like your business.
9) No money is small money - initially, aim for multiple smaller income streams selling average names.
10) It's a world of Flickr, Fiverr and brand names today are going crazy, in the future brand names may be ending with ly or sy we do not know.

best wishes.

Last edited:
•••
Hmmmm,

I've been in the business a long time and have yet to start flipping domains. It's a buy at the right price and hold for a buyer type of business. Anyone wanting to play a quick flipping game is bound to end up on the losing side especially if they cannot afford to hold and wait.

That said, I have mentioned numerous times in the past that the name "domain flipping" is so far from what actually happens in the domaining world that it's actually quite laughable.

Fact is most domains eventually get dropped by people that can no longer afford to hold on to them. Only a few get flipped or traded and even a smaller number ever get sold for any serious cash.

I sold a domain for $11,900 today and to say I flipped it would be as far from the truth as you can get. I held this domain for 7 years before I ended up with the sale. So all in all I had about $100 dollars tied up for 7 years. It was a good domain but even then the right end user had to want it and that is the number one job of a domainer, finding the right end user for a domain. I don't think I have EVER really flipped in all my years of doing business.

•••
1) A name without traffic / prospects of traffic is a dead snake.
2) History of the name matters (rankings).
3) Name has to be clean (no penalty / no copyright).

Thank you so much for the insight on all of the points that you made, but point 1-3 for me is very difficult to verify. Especially point number 1 because different sites give me different traffic results and I just don't know which site to rely on

•••
Wow, what was the domain that you sold today?

•••
Thank you so much for the insight on all of the points that you made, but point 1-3 for me is very difficult to verify. Especially point number 1 because different sites give me different traffic results and I just don't know which site to rely on

Try getting Google search volume with Keyword Planner. It will show you how much traffic & interest a term is getting on Google. You can also use Google Trends to search for a broad niche, to see if a trend is on the rise or if it's falling.

As for ranking, I believe Google treats aged domains more favourably in its algorithm. You can simply check the age of the domain (and thus get an idea of ranking) by checking the who.is database. This will show you when the domain was registered and therefore you can get the age of it.

Lastly, to check trademarks, go on Trademarkia and if something is off or you're unsure, WIPO. I'm actually not sure how to check for penalties... does anyone know how to do this? Will something like this work?

Remember - if it was easy, everyone would do it. How can you separate yourself from everyone? What can you do that not many other people will do? How can you be different?

Best of luck, hope you land a sale soon. Sometimes people could be nicer on here but at the end, they're harsh to you only because they're criticizing you and trying to improve your skill. I think it's important to remember that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back