Dynadot

poll Poll Feedback / Should employee votes count?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should employee votes count?

• 26 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
As many know we have this year's Best Registrar for 2020 poll running. For the first time it's public voting, so you can click on a number and see who voted for who.

Many believe that employees votes should not count when it comes to determining a winner. Others have said it makes it useless. One person messaged me everthing on Namepros is now useless because of Epik and their many employees here.

I see it as a complex problem, I think someone like a @DanSanchez would have voted for Epik whether he was working with Epik or not. Is his vote voided because he was here and then joined Epik?

Believe it or not, whether members like it or not, winning best Registrar here has mattered to registrars.

So should we not count the votes of noted employees, meaning I can go through the finished vote tally and look at the members who voted for each, if I see Dan Sanchez for Epik I deduct it, if I see Joe Styler for GoDaddy, deduct it.

Or should all votes count and that is the legitimate winner? We have time to vote on this as the registrar vote does not conclude til the end of March.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. It obviously skews the results, especially when it comes to a company with a disproportionate amount of employees on NamePros, in comparison to their actual size as a company.

Additionally, I don't think it is appropriate to post self-promotion in a poll thread either.
That is yet another way to influence the results.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My prediction is then we are going to need another poll, to vote on if we should remove the employees votes from this poll. :)

Brad

•••
I previously voted for Namebright, held over 5,000 domains there for several years. Now the majority of my portfolio is at Epik after months of actively using Epik outside of my employee responsibilities. We should take into consideration the amount of usage and length of experience to qualify votes.

•••
The United States democracy system allows those working for elected officials to vote. In fact, a poll candidate can vote for themselves. Other democracies also follow this model.

I see no reason to start an unreasonable movement to decide who votes and who doesn't. The whole idea of influencing, or deciding who gets to vote for what, is anti-democracy and at that point a poll really isn't painting a clear picture.

•••
The United States democracy system allows those working for elected officials to vote. In fact, a poll candidate can vote for themselves. Other democracies also follow this model.

I see no reason to start an unreasonable movement to decide who votes and who doesn't. The whole idea of influencing, or deciding who gets to vote for what, is anti-democracy and at that point a poll really isn't painting a clear picture.

You are being a little bit dramatic.

This is some stupid popularity contest on a forum, not a contest to determine the leader of the free world.

This result will not change how people actually vote when it comes to business, with their wallet.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yes.

Bad enough other registrar CEOs’ aren’t active here but want punish the one hires most within “Your votes dont count.”

Even if votes didnt —Epik still #1.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
•••
If you feel it's stupid, why even engage?

Fair enough.

I am more annoyed with the blatant self promoting spam in the thread than the poll itself. I don't really feel like every thread, especially in general discussion, needs to be turned into a self promotion spam fest.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I don't really feel like every thread, especially in general discussion, needs to be turned into a self promotion spam fest.
I think you are being a bit dramatic.

I don't see "every thread" is being "turned into a self promotion spam fest."

•••
I think you are being a bit dramatic.

I don't see "every thread" is being "turned into a self promotion spam fest."

Not being dramatic. It was just hyperbole :)

Brad

•••
•••
Its complicated. I think we could agree some votes like Dan's aren't really based on his employeement. I agree that I believe he would have voted for Epik even if he didnt work there. Others are harder to pin down. IMO public voting has already fixed this so you can see exactly who voted and decide for yourself if someone's vote matters to you or not.

•••
Hi

Can strippers vote on which pole, they want to swing on?

now, whether they can or they can't,

biggie says "I don't give a :poop: they still gotta swing"

so, it doesn't matter.... does it?

well, it's same thing with these who da best polls

strippers gotta swing, and they gotta have poles

check online, there may be discounts at the door :)

imo….

•••
Voting is always private, create a poll where employes have a choice, my be Dan Sanchez wants to vote for Godaddy and Joe Styler wants to vote for Epik. With polls like this do you think it is possible? And yes everyone has the right to vote. Why create a poll where you can see who is voting for whom. The current poll is fake and I would request to do another poll, an actual poll. Privacy should be maintained in voting.

•••
Voting is always private, create a poll where employes have a choice, my be Dan Sanchez wants to vote for Godaddy and Joe Styler wants to vote for Epik. With polls like this do you think it is possible? And yes everyone has the right to vote. Why create a poll where you can see who is voting for whom. The current poll is fake and I would request to do another poll, an actual poll. Privacy should be maintained in voting.

Why? Should Stand behind what you vote for?

We arent voting for the president.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Why? Should Stand behind what you vote for?

We arent voting for the president.

Samer

What are you getting out of knowing who is voting for what?

•••
What are you getting out of knowing who is voting for what?

Not me. the complainers who say employee “skew” polls.(they dont)

Transparency deters “trolls” from voters like...

I really want Network solution voter to explain would be more satire votes, be less reliable if dont have faith vote enough put name behind

Last edited:
•••
Not me. the complainers who say employee “skew” polls.(they dont)

Transparency (deters trolls from votes like)

I really want Network solution voter to explain.
(there would be a lot more satire votes, poll would be less reliable)

Samer that is what I am saying, polls should be private, why did this poll start in the first place because the earlier poll was not private. Everyone could see who is voting for what. Then we have everyone trolling about removing votes increasing the votes. Can I change my vote oh yes I can. If polls are going to have TnC applied then there is no fun in voting.

•••
Samer that is what I am saying, polls should be private, why did this poll start in the first place because the earlier poll was not private. Everyone could see who is voting for what. Then we have everyone trolling about removing votes increasing the votes. Can I change my vote oh yes I can. If polls are going to have TnC applied then there is no fun in voting.

There is no fun in voting when private polls skew more, when it makes anonymous ppl vote for the $35 .com registrars “troll”

•••
Nope. Employees should not be able to vote for their Employers. It kinda throws some doubt as to whether the results are skewed or not. It looks so far, that they might be. There should be an additional item in the poll. "I am a an employee of a Registrar, I cast my vote here." Any employee who has already voted should be requested to change their vote to that option.

•••
I don't have a horse in this race, but I do have some thoughts to share.

I don't really like the sentiment of "Well other companies should just hire 50 more people so they, too, can skew the results of a vote."

If we can agree that we want the polls to be as useful as possible... humor me...

Then we should be able to agree that employees voting will give us less useful poll results,

Then we should be able to agree that having every other company fill up the results with their own employees doesn't bring us any closer to having useful polling results.

If we can't agree that we want the polls to be as useful as possible, well, I guess the point is moot. In that case, I'd ask what is the purpose of a poll, then? And does having employees vote bring us closer, or further from accomplishing that purpose? If the purpose is to see which company has the most employees on NamePros, we don't need a poll for that.

Even having a few employees voting early on while every other choice is still at 0 is going to skew the rest of the results. No poll is going to be perfect, most of them are already flawed from the get-go before a single vote is cast, based on how the questions are phrased (If you have even 5 minutes experience working with polls you'll understand this), but that's not a good reason to avoid fixing the parts that we can improve.

We can innovate as a community in order to use polls to empower large and small companies alike.

•••

Very true! If the goal is for it to be democratic then allow everyone's vote to count.

What I am not so sure about is making voters visible. In a political election my neighbors do not know for whom I voted because they cant see my actual vote. Heck, I do not even get a "receipt" of my vote when I leave. Just a little sticker that says "I Voted" :) If I tell someone I voted for X, I may have just said so and really voted for Y. Many people do, that if pressed, usually to keep the peace between family members, friends, etc.. Alas, this is not a political election vote - its a vote of which company we like the best. In this case I dont think it matters if its visible or not. Lets face it: even if it were invisible, if you spend time here then you pretty much can tell who likes whom. :)

Allow multiple votes? Another one where I dont know for sure but lean toward yes. We likely all have domains spread around a handful of registrars. I know that I do. I would vote for a few if I could. In this way its not like voting for the President in 2020 (here in the USA) but instead for certain local elections that allow you to choose more than one candidate (its usually school board elections).

My overall 2¢:
This forum, as far as I am aware, is not stopping any other registrar from employing the same "promotional" methods as @epik does as long as it remains within the rules of the forum. No one is stopping <any other registrar> from partnering or hiring users on here to advocate for them, promote them, better their products, services, and offerings, COMPETE with each other to be better listeners of customer's needs and wants... Imagine the competition for business, the innovation for products and services to all of us. Competition is good and very healthy. I am sure Epik would welcome it and I am sure we'd all benefit from it. Lets see what happens...

•••
I believe in business there is a very clear distinction between customers and employees,

Employees and even their immediate family members are usually not allowed to participate in promotional contests or drawings held by their employer, also I don't believe that employees are allowed to write reviews for the products and services that belong to the company that they work for.

So I believe that employees should voluntarily stay away from voting for the Registrar that they work for or at the very least there should be a mechanism in the poll that could allow them to indicate that they were voting as an employee.

IMO

•••
I believe in business there is a very clear distinction between customers and employees,

Employees and even their immediate family members are usually not allowed to participate in promotional contests or drawings held by their employer, also I don't believe that employees are allowed to write reviews for the products and services that belong to the company that they work for.

So I believe that employees should voluntarily stay away from voting for the Registrar that they work for or at the very least there should be a mechanism in the poll that could allow them to indicate that they were voting as an employee.

IMO

You make a great point as well! :)

•••
Back