Domain Empire

Sharing: My guide on installing smf

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Julio

DominioNombres.comTop Member
Impact
Here i will show you how to install SMF - Simple Machines Forum software on your web hosting account. First you need to go over to the simple machines website and download the latest smf full install version SMF Downloads

After you downloaded the smf forum software package unzip it to the desktop for easy access to the files. Once unzipped you can upload all the files to your web hosting ftp account.

MySQL Settings...

As all of my previous script website installations i like to start off by setting up a mysql user account with a database.

SMF Installer...

I have installed many forum scripts in the past but smf is the easiest one to install of all. I really like the ftp connection feature. All you do is put your web hosting account ftp connection information and smf connects to your ftp and make the necessary changes to the files & folders to make writable automatically.

ftpconnection.jpg

The information that you will need for smf to connect to your ftp is server, username, password, install path. You should have this information in the email that was sent to you by your web host when you first signed up for their service.

Once you are done entering the ftp connection information click on the connect button to continue...

If something goes wrong and the installer does not make the permission changes to the files. You can go to your web hosting account CPANEL and through file manager you can change the permission to the files & folders manually 755 or 777.

/attachments
/avatars
/packages
/packages/installed.list
/smileys
/themes
agreement.txt
settings.php
settings_bak.php

Once you are done changing the permissions to the files & folders manually click on the "Click here" to test if these files are writable again to continue with the installation of simple machines forum script.

basicsettings.jpg

In the basic settings screen you will need to enter the title / name of what you would like to call your forum. Then enter the forum url of where you install smf ( in my example i installed smf ). If you need to make any other changes to the settings you can do so now or leave them alone to continue...

In mysql server settings you need to have the information in step one of this installation to enter it now. Here you will need the following information mysql server name, mysql username, mysql database name and mysql table prefix.

The only things that i see you only need for smf to connect to the database is mysql name and mysql password everything else can stay in default settings.

Once you are done click on the Proceed button to continue...

createaccount.jpg

In create your account you will need to enter a username that you will like to use in the forum once it is installed and the password to login. Enter an email address so members and visitors can contact you.

In mysql database password you need to enter the password you created when you setup the mysql user account. The password is needed to create the administrator account ( forum username ) in the database.

Once you are done click on the finish button to continue...

congratulations.jpg

Congratulations you have sucessfully install simple machines forum. Don't forget to checkmark the box where it says "Click here to delete this install.php filen now for security purposes.

If you need help with the installation of smf check out their help support community forum.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thanks for sharing
do you have any guides on building a successful forum?

•••
:hi:
I don't know about Simple Machines Forum software. What is the use of this software & what is the advantage?
Please help i am confused.

Last edited:
•••
SMF is a message board software LIKE the one used here at namepros but the only difference is that SMF is FREE.

•••
Good thing, you posted it here. I have a hard time installing SMF before. Thanks! You don't know how it really helps me in.

•••
Hi,

Can you guide me how can we update our SMF forums.

I download packages but unable to install because a message appear that temporary folder is not writable and i tried so much but unable to change temp file permission.

If you can guide me then it would help me lots.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back