Domain Empire

discuss Share Your Domain Age Theory & 'Ageless' Domain in Your Portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DANEYAL

Top Member
Impact
I was wondering how much does age really matter for a domain name.
Does age really become a decisive factor for a domain investor. Though when it comes to endusers they normally dont care, either they buy the domain at any cost they could bear, or simply refuse the idea of buying & call it a crappy domain thing to invest in.

However, I am really stunned by the way people take age in domaining, as far as my little experience in domaining & watching the domain market places.

When I watch market places domain auction at flippa & other places, I see domains are being marketed based on the fact that they are AGED domains that is giving it a WOW Effect.

Compare a decent good Domain (not a great one) at auction with no age at all, with a domain that does not seem to that much attractive but having an age like 10 years old. I have really seen it attracting more bids. On the other hand the domain that seems to look / feel /hear better than the Aged one, does not attract much of Domain investors attention.

Sometimes when you forward a domain to a broker, they simply ignore it on Age Basis I suppose. Domain Age has become a Hugely emphasized thing in my personal opinion.

Care to share your Domain Age Theory please with any domain that you think is good decent one, without an Age, as sometimes you find a domain deleted years back, but carries weight in your opinion. Allow the other NP Members to comment if they like on your Domain name, as an another point of view.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here are my thoughts and a short explanation. End user does not care about the age, the name suits their needs and they are willing to pay for it. They probably do not know about the 'age' unless you tell them.

For domainers/resellers, age matters because they need some (re)selling points.

•••
I too would like to know why. I always hear google loves aged domains.

•••
As NameFit mentioned we domainers tend to look at age as a selling point and this does not necessarily prove the true value of a domain name. The best way to see age is as a bonus. When I do my filters and search for names I do not filter by age.

Instead focus on filtering by search volume, cpc and of course focusing on shorter .coms like 2 word ones maybe 3 depending on how it sounds. So do not be discourage if you come across a domain you like and feel it has nice metrics but it is maybe like 1 year old.

One thing I have notice though most domains that are quite good tend to have some type of age anyways.

- Will

•••
Unless the domain is 20+ years "old", claiming "age" is just another desperate tactic by sellers trying to inflate the perceived value of their domain. Sure there is more to it, but this all has been discussed before in previous threads. Domain age in and of itself adds very little to domain worth.

What, pray tell, is an "ageless" domain?

Last edited:
•••
folks are impressed by the age of a domain,

because that name is older than they've been domaining.

:)

imo...

•••
It is natural for one to assume - if it is older then it was registered some time ago and obviously 'inferior' ones were registered later - so it is better. (their thinking)..

•••
There can be many factors that establishes a website authority & it quite seems to be more a mythical than factual to put so much emphasis on domain age.
Here is a very short video on the importance of domain age that you may find a useful watch.

How does Google determine domain age, and is it important for ranking?

The popular belief has been that older domains do better in search results and are given extra favor due to their age. The idea is that an older domain that has been established has earned a greater level of trust with Google than a younger domain that is not as established. Matt admits that this is true to a point, but domain age is an insignificant factor that really carries very little weight in the Google algorithm.

Matt then goes on to list the factors that are more important for a site to rank well in Google:

• Unique, high quality content
  • The quantity of content
  • External back-links to your content
Source

Great names are still available today, the point is to think & research on various niche domain names that sometimes seem to be truly impossible that they may be available, but who knows they get lost in the daily deleted domain names some years back, or may be someone has not thought of them yet.

The sales & marketing pitches at domain auctions sometimes or mostly seem to be based on domain age, that in my opinion should not be the only or major reason to buy/sell a domain name.

Please shed some more light on domain age & you opinions & experiences on how domain age influence domaining. What is the importance of domain age & how much it may be emphasized on or considered while taking a buying / selling decision of a domain name.

Last edited:
•••
I think you've covered it all quite well and the bottom line is there's no need for debate, domain age alone does not significantly add to domain value.

•••
something else came to mind:

maybe "age" shouldn't be the question, in perspective to value.

but "time", seems to fit so many scenarios.

often when owners describe negotiations, they often speak in terms of either "it was time to sell or it was the right time to sell".

time, then is a factor in both situations, but one may be capitalizing and the other may be liquidating.
as the "values" of those domains may be heading in different directions.

and that phrase can apply to a domain relating to an emerging trend or one that's fading out.
though in either case, the "age" of the domain may not be one you would consider to be "old".

logically, from that, since the flip minded don't have time, then they can only use "age" as the promoter.
while the investor, who uses time to let his investments mature.....has all the time in the .world.

:)

imo....

•••
deep-thoughts.png

I like it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back