Seven Ways to Live a Better Life

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lucifer

Account Closed
Impact
That’s What We All Want, Isn’t It?

1. Relax

In modern times things are so hurried that no one takes time for the most important things in life… taking a break, sitting back with a cup of *insert
favourite drink here* and just relaxing. This doesn’t have to be for long (although being a student, I love taking the most amount of time possible to do something)… just five or ten minutes a day, but it will help. Don’t think, or worry about anything, just sit back – can be indoors, but it would be better if you went out and did it, to scenic locations like the one on the life.
Clearing your mind of all pressing things can help you enjoy life a little bit
more, and best of all, reduce stress.
That job interview you have tomorrow? Not important, just relax… if you do, you’ll breeze it.
What about that mid term exam coming up in a week? Relax (although you should probably study a bit too.) and you’ll do a lot better than if you were tense and worked up about it.

If you’ll notice, the richest, the ‘coolest’ people in life generally don’t tend to look all that worried about stuff… that can be you too. If you tend not to worry about things too much, you’ll tend to do better in them, and not just that; you’ll feel better in life as you’ll have less stress to weigh you down. In fact, I want you to take the break mentioned above right now… minimize the screen that this thread is opened up in, and just don’t do anything for the next ten minutes… this will not just leave you more refreshed, but also leave you better able to remember the rest of the tips in this thread.

2. Play A Sport

People mention playing a sport to keep in shape, however what they fail to
realize is that playing a sport has benefits that don’t just include the physical side of things.

First off, the physical side – playing a sport, be it football, hockey, basketball or even engaging in activities like athletics or ballet can help you get in shape; as people get older, they often fail to exercise, either due to lack of option or simply because they can’t be bothered; exercise however is needed in life.

A decrease in blood pressure, a lower weight and a higher metabolism; that’s just a few of the physical benefits that come with exercise, and by playing a sport you can actually have fun doing so. No one likes exercise if it becomes a chore, so stop going to the gym alone and go with a friend or family member; engage in team sports rather than practicing alone.

On the non-physical side of things, exercise evokes passion, something that’s always good to have in life, as it keeps you awake – it can also help you build relationships with your teammates, as in any team sport
you will have to learn to cooperate (unless you’re one of the best players in the world, however I doubt many of you that are reading this thread fit this criteria). These skills learned will help you off the field as well, and since exercise benefits you in so many ways, why not do it? It can also help you get rid of the negative things in life, ones that are affecting you poorly; for example, taking out your anger at your boss on a punching bag is a lot better than doing so at him, or worse at those at home. If possible, find a sports team to support, as one you join a community of fans you will never be short for conversation.

3. Set Goals

Everyone talks about setting goals in life… the thing is, no one actually does it. We all know what happens every New Year’s… we all, well most of us at least set resolutions. Be it losing weight, meeting new people, quitting smoking or striving for a promotion in our jobs, everyone tends to start strongly, and then tail off… by the end of the first week, your goal is a distant memory; by the end of the second week, you’ve forgotten it entirely.
I want you to take a sheet of paper and a pen right now, and write down five goals you’d like to reach by the end of the year. They don’t have to be huge ones (although if you’re insane innovative like me, they will be), but writing them down is always a good place to start.

After you’ve written it down once, make sure you duplicate it, because you are going to lose that list. Trust me, no matter how neat you are, no matter how organized you keep things, that list will go missing by the end of the week. You could rewrite it a few times on to separate pieces of paper, although if you’re lazy (like me) you’ll create it on the computer and print out say… a couple dozen copies. Remember, as soon as that list goes out of your sight, you’re forgetting all the goals you’ve set, and if you forget them,
there’s no way in hell you’re going to achieve them. Now that you’ve created copies, I want you to distribute them; keep a copy on your fridge, one on the desk where you do all your work, one at office… heck, if your computer allows it, make it into a picture and shove it on your desktop. Got a mobile, or Blackberry? Put up one copy there. Got a pair of jeans you wear out all the time? Slip a sheet with your goals into its back pocket. If your goals are constantly in view, you’re going to remember them better… and you remembering them better means you have a better chance of doing them.

4. Focus on Good Things

In today’s world, this is something that is near impossible… the newspapers focus on the guns and bombs going off, the news is a seemingly recurring tale of daily deaths, however you have to try and put those things at the back of your mind and concentrate on the good in today’s world.
How many charities are there out there, striving to help people that are worse off obtain an equal foothold in life? Daily, things that seemed near impossible happen… focus on the good and you’ll have a much better frame of mind. The world is constantly filled with hate and depression… you don’t need to add to it. Although it can be difficult, this will help you immensely in not just the long run, but in the short run as well… the more you think about bad things, the more they will manifest in the back of your mind, and the best thing to do is try and block them off from affecting you too strongly.
If you can shut bad things off automatically, good for you… for some, you may need to force yourself to do it. Take just five or ten minutes a day to think of the good things in life, and I can near guarantee you that you’ll be worrying less about things that although extreme, things that you just can’t affect, even if you tried your hardest. Should you need more motivation to do so, you may want to take images of things that you hold dear and place them close to you… on your bedroom ceiling, so that the first thing you see when you wake up are the things you like best, or even at work so that you can look at those things in the middle of a long, hard day.

5. Help Others

Remember the good karma I promised you in that insanely long sales letter that most of you didn’t read anyways? The thing is, this thread will bring you good karma… if you follow the tips, and help others. Remember, the more you help people the more likely it is that you will find help in times of need… sure, at this current moment you may not need it, but who knows what may happen tomorrow? This help doesn’t even have to be something major, although obviously it would be a lot better if it was… you can contribute a
little money to those you think need it, or if finance is a problem for you pending some time at your local centre for people in need works just as well, better even. Seeing other people happy in life is a feeling that just can’t be matched by anything else… even if you see your most hated rival put on a genuine smile, it’s hard to hold anything against them. If it’s people that were in strife and your help actually put them in a better position in life… you can be sure as hell that the good karma I promised above is going to come across you sooner rather than later. A thing about that… help people because you want to, not because you think by doing so you’ll get good karma or have a better chance of getting into ‘heaven’. When you’re passionate about doing something, it will show… and the people that you’re putting your daily life on the side to help out will realise it and be thankful for it, even if it sometimes may not look like it on the outside. Note, by helping people I don’t mean only charity, although that’s great – your friends, family and random people you meet on the street count too!

6. Dare to Dream

Daring to dream is one of the only thing that can change your life… if you wanted it changed, that is. You see, the richest and happiest people in the world are not necessarily the smartest, or not even the most skilled… but
they’re generally either the most innovative or the most passionate. I touched upon this point a little in my introduction, but I’ll state it again here in depth… you’ve got to dare to dream. You see, I’ve heard of ideas that I felt were so stupid that the people that thought them up must have been lacking half a brain, let alone a few cells… more often than not, I’ve read about the same ideas a month or two later and they’ve gone on to be a success.

It’s the very same reason I started out this project; sure, it might fail
spectacularly, but so what? All I’m losing out on is a little bit of time and
an even less amount of money, none of which were too important to me. If you’ve got a dream, no matter how silly it may seem… try to achieve it. Whether it’s going to the moon, flying around the world or even just getting rich… go after it, because if you don’t you are failing yourself.

Remember, you could be like the millions, if not billions of others living repetitive lives… or you could join the 1% of the world that does things in a slightly different way. Life is short, and you might as well be remembered for it… at the present moment, no one apart from your family and friends will
remember you. Undertake in the idea that rocks the world for the next couple hundred years though, and you’ll have a lot more than just friends and family that remember you… and be all the happier for it.

7. Laugh At Yourself

Laughing at one’s self is probably one of the hardest things to do in life… it’s also the most fun. In my case, I screw up quite a lot, so rather than getting worried all the time I prefer to laugh at my mistakes, especially at some of the more silly ones… as soon as you start doing that, you’ll not worry much about most mistakes ever again. Tripped over your own foot in front of a crowded room of people? Been there, done that… it was hilarious… you’ll find out too if it ever happens to you. Instead of looking around embarrassed as the whole room tears up with laughter after you’ve made a mistake, why not join in? We all know the benefits of laughter… it’s not just supposed to give a light workout to all areas of your body, but also leaves you feeling pretty damned happy with things… remember, it’s always better to laugh with than be laughed at, and if you can learn how to laugh at yourself, you’ll be all the better for it. The best thing about laughter is those occasional absolutely hysterical fits… ones that can’t be controlled no matter how you try, and ones that leave you rolling on the floor. Learn to laugh at yourself and those
kinds of fits will come far more often… there’s nothing better than such a feeling. By laughing at yourself, you’re opening yourself up as a person, and things will faze you less...there’s very little you’ll be worried about.

8. Never make any promise when you are happy and never make any decision when you are angry. (Thanks Jacklin)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice ways of living a better life. Add one more and that is "never make any promise when you are happy and never make any decision when you are angry"

•••
Added your point to the list!

•••
No problems at all . Thanks for adding it in your list :)

•••
6. Dare to Dream

Daring to dream is one of the only thing that can change your life… if you wanted it changed, that is. You see, the richest and happiest people in the world are not necessarily the smartest, or not even the most skilled… but
they’re generally either the most innovative or the most passionate. I touched upon this point a little in my introduction, but I’ll state it again here in depth… you’ve got to dare to dream. You see, I’ve heard of ideas that I felt were so stupid that the people that thought them up must have been lacking half a brain, let alone a few cells… more often than not, I’ve read about the same ideas a month or two later and they’ve gone on to be a success.

this is what i agree the most on the article. we all have to dare to dream, and making that dream happen. it is so true that the most innovative or most passionate in their field are the ones most likely to succeed. lets all dream for a better future---and do something about it. make your dreams happen.

•••
I never thought I would read this from someone named Lucifer! :p

Very nice post, Lucifer. I definitely agree with what you said about setting goals. It's like I tell people I have mentored: Goals that are not written down are just wishes!

•••
Thanks so much for these... from 1 to 7, I can manage the last so easily.

•••
nice article..
well i do all of these.

•••
Jacklin said:
Nice ways of living a better life. Add one more and that is "never make any promise when you are happy and never make any decision when you are angry"

So is technically cool to make a decision when your are happy and make promises when you're angry? :hehe:

•••
•••
Nice little list/post you made here, thanks. ;) :!: :D

•••
Nice one! I'd like to try number 7. lol

•••
I am swimming in the ocean of admiration!
You have really good point towards understanding of life.

•••
yeah really inspires me a lot

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back